My shard has a lot of custom art, and I wanted to add some new art from the most recent EA client. the custom artwork was added for me previously by a friend that no longer plays and isn't around. I have seen so many posts on how to do this, but they all link back to a runuo site which is no longer there. Therefore, I was unable to get any documentation. I'm going to outline what I did and hopefully someone can tell me what step I'm missing in order to get my new artwork on the shard.

I exported the items (from the new client) using UO Fiddler into a folder in BMP format. I made a list of all the graphics I exported with the name and the graphic number.

I then opened my old client with UO Fiddler and imported them under ITEMS tab to the appropriate item number. I can now see the graphic in it's box in ITEMS.

Under the tab TILEDATA I found the item number and then proceeded to fill in the name and ticking off what I thought were appropriate attributes. ie: ArticleA - Impassable - Partial Hue (All of the attributes I just guessed at based on what I was adding)

I saved all the changes and Fiddler created three files, Art.mul Artidx.mul and tiledata.mul

I copied these files into my client folder on both the server and my playing computer. I closed Fiddler and when I reopened it and pointed it to my playing client, I can see the items but in game I can not add them, it adds an unused tile.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank You

Last edited:
I have not tried this but is Fiddler, your server and razor all using the same client files? I would guess that if the server files and the files that you use to play do not both contain the updates that you added it might cause this. But someone with more experience should be on with a better answer for you soon.

I have not tried this but is Fiddler, your server and razor all using the same client files? I would guess that if the server files and the files that you use to play do not both contain the updates that you added it might cause this. But someone with more experience should be on with a better answer for you soon.

You are on the right track. Every time I ever ran into this issue was because I was not reading the same set of client files. If UO Fiddler and the client both point to the exact same set of files...and you see artwork in fiddler...you will see it in the client. The only possible reason I could think of, and I never tested this, is that the art was loaded into UO Fiddler with a really high ItemID number being used.

You are on the right track. Every time I ever ran into this issue was because I was not reading the same set of client files. If UO Fiddler and the client both point to the exact same set of files...and you see artwork in fiddler...you will see it in the client. The only possible reason I could think of, and I never tested this, is that the art was loaded into UO Fiddler with a really high ItemID number being used.

That's what I thought as well, and both Fiddler and the client and razor all point to the same folder, and I see the art in fiddler, but when I add it, I get an unused tile. Extremely frustrating.

The last item number in my original client was 41135 and I started the new art at 41157.

I should also note, when I have fiddler open and I right click on the item and select send item to client it tries to add the item but all I get is an unused tile.

Last edited:
I bet your number is too high. Try a lower one.

I tried a lower one and it's the same result. I tried 25546 as it was an empty spot. Are these the only files I need to have? Art.mul Artidx.mul and tiledata.mul Maybe I'm missing something?

That number still seems very high. Clients can only go so highand it varies based on hownew the client is. Cant you try a number in the 1000 area?

That number still seems very high. Clients can only go so highand it varies based on hownew the client is. Cant you try a number in the 1000 area?
I tried adding it at 1167 and same thing, I see it in Fiddler, but when I add it to the game it shows as unused tile.

I must be missing a step but I don't know what it is.

Last edited:
Your problem is the version of client.exe and its file version. You can edit files for files from client.exe version 7.0.50. Higher versions 7.0.60 and others are no longer available. However, I recommend using the lower version of last install online, eg 7.0.24.

I finally got it to work, I'll be typing up a How To and will post it. Whew that was a learning experience.

How to Add Custom Graphics to your Shard

NOTE: My shard client is 7.0.58.9 the client I was getting the graphics from was 7.0.74.74 I added all my new graphics at the bottom of all the current graphics. I added over 60 graphics and it allowed all numbers, there doesn't seem to be a restriction on number of items per client.

This how to is for graphics that are either found online at UO Graphics sites, or exporting from a more recent client than your shard runs.

First of all, you need to download UOFiddler and the UOP Extractor Plugin for Fiddler. The PlugIn can be found here: https://uo.wzk.cz/uofiddler/ and UOFiddler can be found here: http://uofiddler.polserver.com/

EXPORTING THE ARTWORK

1. Open UOFiddler to the client that has the graphics you want.

2. Create a file on your desktop for the graphics.

3. Export the Graphic in BMP format into the folder, you can right click on the image and select Export Image.

4. In the settings in UOFiddler, you can specify the folder you want to use.

5. Download any graphics from the UOGraphics sites that you may want to add into that folder as well.

IMPORTING THE ARTWORK

1. Once you have all the images exported to the folder open your shard client with UOFiddler.

2. Go to the last graphic under the ITEMS tab and take note of the Item No. and right click and go to Insert At and then in the box that comes up type the next subsequent number. So if your last graphic is 41129 then you would go Insert At and in the box type 41130. It will then open the folder you identified in your UOFiddler settings and the art you exported will show up. Select the graphic and click on Insert.

3. Once I had all my artwork inserted, I right clicked on the last one and clicked Save. This will save a file called art.mul and artidx.mul in the folder you specified in settings.

4. Then go to the tiledata tab and find the first item number of the graphic you inserted.

5. Click on the item number under the tiledata tab and fill in the information on the right. You need to add a name, I put in a weight and 10 in the height. Then click on the attributes that you want for that item. Ie: container if it’s a box or chest, I clicked Article A and partial Hue for almost all my items. Some I wanted impassable, so I checked that off.

6. When you complete each item click save changes after each one, and the text will turn red.

7. When you have everything added and attributes checked, then click on Save TileData at the top.

8. This will save a file in your folder called tiledata.mul

GETTING THE ARTWORK TO SHOW UP ON YOUR SHARD

1. Go to the UOP Packer Tab (this will show up once you’ve installed the UOP Extractor Plugin For Fiddler.

2. Click on the browse box … and find the folder you’ve saved your art into.

3. Click on Pack MUL to UOP and Click Start. This will create a file called artLegacyMUL.uop in that folder.

4. Copy the art.mul artidx.mul tiledata.mul and the artLegacyMUL.uop into your client folder and voila your art should all be available on your shard. Copy those files into the client you use to play with as well.

This how to assumes that you know how to make folders, install software, and copy and paste. This assumes you have a working copy of UOFiddler and know how to point it to different clients. It also assumes that you know where your client files are stored.

I do not know the size you need to make if you are making custom graphics on your own. I have only ever exported art or gotten from UOGraphics site online.

Hopefully this is helpful. Also, I’d suggest you download the files if you ever plan on doing this because I’ve found that a lot of links stop working at some point.

NOTE: My shard client is 7.0.58.9 the client I was getting the graphics from was 7.0.74.74 I added all my new graphics at the bottom of all the current graphics. ...

1/ Warning, this can not be done the other way. Roughly from clients version 7.0.60 and above, uo fiddler inserts into arts images, but uoppack will not work well.

2/ Regarding inserting textures into texmaps.mul, I'm experiencing a bad storage experience in version 7.0.50. The mulatcher is more suitable for textures.

Back