Kalamus mentioned, "ServUO also comes with Emergency Backup program that you can setup to do permanent backups that won't get wiped out from the server restarting over and over."

Any info on this?
Can it auto-restart server as well e.g. for daily maintenance?
Can you limit this to once a day or can it do a backup without shutting down the server?

Emergency Backup is a tool included in ServUO that runs externally from the server. You can call it after your world saves to have it do backups and it won't slow down your save times.

It can't auto-restart a server per say. The server runs the backup program, not the other way around. The server can how ever do auto-restarts and be programmed to run backups as you see fit.

You can limit it to once per day and you can also do a backup without shutting down the server. I haven't messed with it in quite awhile but here's some old code back during ForkUO days that I used to get it to do 2 backups a day. http://www.servuo.com/posts/5043/

If you have any problems getting this setup just let me know and I'll help you out.

Edit: I should also note that Emergency Backups or the code I used doesn't include a way to cull old backups in any way. Meaning over time they will keep building up and eating up HD space. Not a big deal unless you have limited space but easily fixed by manually deleting as needed or writing something at server startup to cull backups, e.g. older than 30 days.

Last edited:
Right now I'm running two shards on one machine using one interface, but I did something and am having problems with the servers accepting connections after a few days. They just lock people out, but everything looks fine from the console (no connection attempts). When I restart the servers, it seems to flush the servers and fix the problem.

So, I'm thinking to use the auto-restart to take down the servers each night for "maintenance", at which time a backup would also be a good idea (hence all the questions).

This may be a pretty nice solution. I'll PM you. Thanks.

Back