I'm sure this has been discussed before, however I haven't been able to find anything so I figured I'd post.

I have an idea for an updated banking system.

If anything UO has taught us, is that overtime, some things need to change. 1 million dollar checks seem to fill your bank quickly. What about bank books? Books that can hold checks only using 1 item space in a bank? And maybe have this as a bank only type of item?

My other idea was an interest system, based on the amount of savings in the bank for an amount of time. Or maybe it's based off of the previously mentioned bank check book.

Thoughts?

The broadsword team is working on removing checks from uo last i heard. Personally I like the way Ever Quest did it,. copper, silver, gold, platnium. All these currencies or only gold for this example would be held outside the player backpack but still produced weight when held. I also feel that the amount of gold in uo by default is far too high. From a roleplayer point of view it's always very inaccurate. Why would a rat have gold in it? Back to the topic of banking, there is the gold ledgers that can hold large sums of gold. Maybe if it was built into the bank box this would solve the clutter that gold presents to players. As for an interest system that can be difficult. The way interest works off the top of my head is a bank holds your money and uses it, in turn they reward you with interest for risking your money to be held by them. So because npc banks don't do anything other then stand around I don't see a valid reason for interest. They don't give out loans or handle players insurance.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea, and should be fairly easy to do.
Im buried right now in projects, but when I get free I can help with this, if still needed. But I imagine there will be others interested enough with this to get cracking sooner than me :)
Good idea~!

I am no scripter/coder. So I leave this up to those who are more knowledgeable in that arena. I'd love to see these ideas implemented though.

The broadsword team is working on removing checks from uo last i heard. Personally I like the way Ever Quest did it,. copper, silver, gold, platnium. All these currencies or only gold for this example would be held outside the player backpack but still produced weight when held. I also feel that the amount of gold in uo by default is far too high. From a roleplayer point of view it's always very inaccurate. Why would a rat have gold in it? Back to the topic of banking, there is the gold ledgers that can hold large sums of gold. Maybe if it was built into the bank box this would solve the clutter that gold presents to players. As for an interest system that can be difficult. The way interest works off the top of my head is a bank holds your money and uses it, in turn they reward you with interest for risking your money to be held by them. So because npc banks don't do anything other then stand around I don't see a valid reason for interest. They don't give out loans or handle players insurance.

Electric Banking. Nice.

Back