Hello everyone. I'm a hobbyist C# developer who enjoys working with old games and their data formats. I like UO because there's **so much** data in the client directory, all in formats that are very easily understandable and parseable, even for amateurs like me.

I've worked on a lot of projects, but I'm particularly proud of my work on a C#/XNA client for UO which stalled at about 80% completion some years ago. I've revived that project and put a lot of work into it over the past month (about 200 commits and 8000 added sloc). If you're interested in keeping up to date with that work, you can view the project at: https://github.com/ZaneDubya/UltimaXNA (and star the project too ;) !). I'd also gladly accept help with the project itself - I've accepted pull requests from three people in the past few weeks, and can definitely use all the help I can get tracking down bugs and adding features.

I'm here because I noticed some interesting posts about how the server and client interact. Those posts have pictures and attachments - but I can't access either without being a verified member. Verify me, and I'll get back to work!

Last edited:
Welcome Zane! I've been following the recently revisited progress of XNA for a bit now. HUGELY excited you're back at it, keep up the great work.

I'm happy to see you post here! There are quite a few people who had deep hope for that project. For you to pick it back up and continue on with it brings us great joy!
I'm following your work on it via github & i have to say keep up the great work. I'd also like to give you a healthy warning, try your best to avoid or ignore the wave of potential people who will begin bugging you about the client and its progress. I'm familiar with other developers who were driven away by constant questioning and general annoyance. I hope you achieve what you have set out to do and I wish you the very best! I'll be play testing the client often.

Oh! Welcome, Zane to the ServUO Community!

Thanks for the kind welcomes - and thanks for the advice, Hank. I'm sure to be better at managing expectations this time around.

Haha, thank you for reminding me to put this out there:

There is no projected date of completion. It will be done when it is done. You can stay up to date with progress by following the project on GitHub. If you want the XNA client done more quickly, you can also help out by reporting issues. ;)

Last edited:
Just watched the video posted with the XNA Readme.md. Sweet!
Glad you like it! I think it shows just how far the client has come - and per the user who posted it (@robertdeclareux), UltimaXNA handles a practically unlimited number of mobiles on screen - the video he posted would have crashed the legacy client. :)

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. I noticed he was running a sphere server, are there folks participating in development who are using RunUO or a derivative of it as well?

Yes - I am, and @jeffboulanger, the other developer, is as well. I believe @Eskymak and @Vodacek are on RunUO as well, but I'm not 100% certain of that. But we're well covered on RunUO, in any case.

Having users with other servers is really helpful: RunUO does not handle the entire UO protocol, and in some aspects, its packet handlers do not read data that the client sends, and which other server emulators rely upon.

It would be nice to have a pol server tester as well, but then, it would be nice to have more developers as well. Can't have everything.

Back