1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changes to the way we accept donations and elevated memberships

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by dmurphy, Nov 21, 2016.

1. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Today we will be making some changes to the way ServUO accepts donations. Up until now when someone has donated they have done so without any return other than the knowledge they are helping keep ServUO alive. Today that changes. We will be offering a few perks to those that decide to donate to the cause.

Because everyone has different circumstances in their life and may not be able to donate a certain amount we will be offering three different tiers of donations for users to choose.

Silver tier
    Donation required: $5 per month

Perks:
    Silver member custom title below your username
    Access to donator only forum where you can share ideas with other donors and staff

Gold tier
    Donation required: $60 per year

Perks:
    Silver member custom title below your username
    Access to donator only forum where you can share ideas with other donors and staff
    Access to Gold donor only scripts. Please read below for more information on this.

Platinum tier
    Donation required: $100 per year

Perks:
    Platinum member custom title below your username
    Access to Donor only scripts while they are in development. This is a great way to get to see these new scripts before anyone else and to get your feature requests in while the scripts are being developed. You will also get full access to completed scripts.

If you are interested in donating you may do so by click this link.

Q&A

Why the change?
    The way ServUO traditionally accepted donations has been in place since the sites inception. It is not a perfect system and offers no incentive for those who donate. Today that changes. You will now gain access to specific perks for donating as a way to say thank you! As Well as that, the previous method did not garner enough donations per month to pay all the bills. ServUO has not be in the black for more than a year now. Offering perks is a good way to get more people donating and thus getting the bills under control.

What does the donator only forum contain?
    The donator forum is a place for donors to converse with each other and the staff. A donor may get a higher level of quality reply from another user or staff member in here as the person replying knows that the user is a person committed to the community and it's health. It will also contain discussions on donator only scripts and their releases.

What are donator scripts?
    Donator scripts are complex scripts that are created and made available to members in the gold and platinum donator usergroups. They offer real value to your shard and are not just fluff scripts made to entice you to donate.

What scripts are available for donators?
    As of right now the first donator only system is in development. It is a chat translation system that will make it very easy for players all over to world to communicate with each other. It will translate a player's text to a language of their choice. You can view a preview of the system here: https://puu.sh/rX1tO/80605135db.gif (ignore typos :) )

How many scripts can we expect and how quickly?
    As of this post only the translation system is in development. After it is completed and deemed bug free we can move onto the next project. Scripts are not planned ahead of time, there is no release schedule. Once one script is done we will discuss with donors what they would like to see next.

Does this mean developer time will be taken away from the public repo?
    Absolutely not! As of right now only I am committed to working on and releasing donor scripts. The rest of the team will be working as before.

Will official server features be released for donors only?
    NO! If a feature is being worked on and it is available on the official servers then it will be uploaded to the repo as it always has been!

This is so unfair, these systems should be available to everyone!!
    In a perfect world I would agree with you. However, servuo has very real operating cost. ServUO has multiple bills to pay per month including Server bills (Web server, services server for the web api etc), cloudflare bills, domain bills etc. It all adds up! In order to keep the site going we need to get donations. After all, the users that do donate make it easier for us to bring you the work we release publicly!

#1 dmurphy, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Po0ka

Po0ka Active Member

Oh noes sounds fishy!! xD
    Is it like, monthy payments that can end at any time versus one shot 60$ payment?

Also, if this doesn't have the expected result, would you consider pushing an un-obstrusive ad on the front page to gather some income for the website if that's possible?

3. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Silver tier is there for those would would like to donate just a small amount. I get that a lot of people either do not have a lot of income or are from countries where their currency is not valued as highly as others. Gold is just a lump sum for those that can afford it up front. People can stop donating whenever they like.

As for the ad, I would like to avoid that. Everyone hates ads! Plus I do not want ServUO to become profitable, we just want to cover the bills here. We are not out to make money.

• No Problem! No Problem! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tim

Tim Member

Pay bills seems right to me . Hate to end up like RUNUO.Great idea to keep our lights on...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

First test build of the translation system has been uploaded for platinum members. We have no platinum members yet but I will continue to update the test build in the chance we do gain one or two.

6. Joshua

Platinum Donator

Being the limited community we already are, I hope imposing to many changes like this doesn't scare away users. I agree on the change though, its what is needed to help maintain the site's ability to stay up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sahisahi

sahisahi Member

Accept paysafecard donations?

8. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Can paysafe cards be withdrawn to a bank account?

9. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

I have gotten some good feedback over PM from a couple of members some who have donated previously. Since a lot of people have donated in the past I think it's a good idea to have a little promotion period to lower the access bar for these members.

To be fair these prices will be available to everyone for the next week.

For the next week the price for gold and platinum is reduced for the first year.

Gold membership: $35 for the first year.
    Platinum membership: $50 for the first year.

• Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 2
  10. Ravenwolfe

Moderator ServUO Developer

Cool, another Black Friday deal!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dawson

Dawson Member

Lol, lets just say I have Adblock on standby, if this happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

There is some issues with paypal right now not letting me accept payments through the method that xenforo uses. If you would like to donate you can do so by visiting this link https://www.paypal.me/ServUO and manually entering the amount you would like to donate. When you do so please PM me and I will upgrade your account.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SomeDude

SomeDude New Member

looks and sounds fishy......... it is what it is gl servuo

14. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Have to keep the lights on somehow.

15. SomeDude

SomeDude New Member

i get maybe having a donate area type only setup but silver,gold,plat most folks cant fork out that kind of cash plus most the folks who cant are the ones who going to be reporting bugs etc for the peeps whos making systems and such or maybe i just dont get it like i was saying it is what it is gl

16. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

The bills have to be paid. They were in excess of $2000 last year with only about 70% of them being covered by donations. Those who donate are the ones helping keep this place alive for those who cannot. If the bills were not paid then no one would be here.

I wish I didn't have to accept donations, but I do. That's just how the world works.

17. Milva

Admin Moderator

Exactly!!!

18. Tasanar

Platinum Donator

19. Joshua

Platinum Donator

@SomeDude It's not that ServUO is trying to punish or limit users, it's to simply keep the site alive. The cost involved running something like this on the large scale, isn't cheap. That $2000+ annually is actually cheap compared to some domains, so that should give you an idea on how much actually goes into this. Honestly, $50 - $100 a year is a great way to get some revenue to help the site. Sure enough yeah there are some people with less fortunate situations that cannot spare any money however in the grand scheme of things... if something more productive about this situation isn't done, even the people that cannot afford to donate will not have a home to go to..

20. bestuo

bestuo Member

Whats the price for the webhosting each month?, theres no way u spent 2k each year for a single website, migrate to a low tier cheap host, uo is ''dead'' you dont need to have a super website, theres not even high traffic or anything.

not trying to sound rude, sorry for my english