Why does it say the chat system is disabled every time I log in? Looking at the code the chat system should be enabled by default. And why do none of the shards use the built-in chat?

Thanks!

OHH, that's where it's coming from :) I think we can just delete that file. That message is literally the only thing it does. Chat.cs handles the same packet and does it sanely.

But I am still stumped as to why the chat system does not appear to work. When I log in I should get a chat text prompt to enter my nickname, but I have never seen that happen. Any thoughts?

Also, what I am driving at here is trying to understand why we can't just use UO's built-in chat system instead of an addon. On the OSI servers the global chat system works pretty well. I think it would be a good thing to get this working correctly out-of-the-box rather than forcing every shard owner to install some addon just to get global chat working.

It looks like the whole system is implemented in Scripts/Services/Chat, except that it doesn't, umm, work? I dunno. I've got a three day weekend starting tomorrow and I might have to dig into this one. I've been talking to several shard owners that are not satisfied with Knives Chat for one reason or another and want an alternative. Seems like getting the normal chat functionality to work would be the right way for ServUO to provide for that need.

It looks like the whole system is implemented in Scripts/Services/Chat, except that it doesn't, umm, work? I dunno. I've got a three day weekend starting tomorrow and I might have to dig into this one. I've been talking to several shard owners that are not satisfied with Knives Chat for one reason or another and want an alternative. Seems like getting the normal chat functionality to work would be the right way for ServUO to provide for that need.

Definitely. Knives chat has had its day I think. And our mission is to Emulate OSI so it's obvious that the chat system should match osi.

Actually it looks like what is implemented in Scripts/Services/Chat is the old global chat system that was in a separate window. I doubt current clients still support this. The current chat system was implemented in December of 2009. I'll have a look-see.

After some digging, I found this, which gives us the exact client versions needed to implement this with legacy support;

Patch

Global Chat System

Classic Client 7.0.4.1: Updated 12/11/09 @ 5:40PM EST

• ‘Chat’ button on the menu bar will now open a Channel Selection window instead of the Chat window.
  • Channel Selection window will allow users to join, leave, or create a chat channel. User may only participate in one channel at a time.
  • Text from a chat channel will appear in the System Messages area and in the Journal.
  • Players may use the comma key (,) to participate in a chat channel.
  • Fixed an issue with the Japan language setting crashing the Legacy Client
  • Fixed the issue with Grapes of Wrath and Enchanted Apples not unstacking.
Enhanced Client 4.0.4.0:

• Added new button on the menu bar that opens the Channel Selection window
  • Channel Selection window will allow users to join, leave, or create a chat channel. User may only participate in one channel at a time.
  • Text from a chat channel will appear in chat tabs that have the ‘Custom’ chat text filter enabled.
  • Players may use /c, /chat, or the comma key (,) to participate in a chat channel.

http://uo.stratics.com/uoherald/news/news.php?newsid=1001

I am SO thankful the community saved Stratics... :D

Back