Closure of our wiki and opening of the new tutorial system

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Since opening the wiki a few months ago it has largely gone unused. I have no idea why as it was a much requested feature by members of this forum. Because of this I have taken steps to close down the wiki as it was a monthly cost that was not worth bearing due to the fact it was unused. (Yes the addon had a monthly fee)

With that, I have gone ahead and opened in my opinion a much easier to use system for tutorials and documentation in the future. It can be found by clicking the Tutorials link in the nav menu above. I have made a simple tutorial to show the system in action and I really like it: https://www.servuo.com/documents/getting-started-with-servuo.2/

I have archived our old tutorial forums. It will no longer be possible to make threads in them, however you will be able to post in already created tutorials. It is my hope that members will transfer their tutorials to the new system and post future tutorials there.

Please post all feedback in this thread. Thank you!

Reactions: Felladrin

Milva

Admin
Mar 3, 2013
Donate
Donate money to this user
Maybe the Wiki Tutorials could be moved to the new area? There was a ton of information on there :)

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
I have opened the wiki again for a day or so, if you would like to transfer your guides then go ahead. I can't keep it open for long though as the license is due to expire.

The new system is really simple, let me know though if you need help in using it.

Milva

Admin
Mar 3, 2013
Donate
So easy to use!! :) Mine is moved @tass23 has a few really nice informative xml tutorials to move
Thanks @dmurphy great job on this and the forums!

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
So easy to use!! :) Mine is moved @tass23 has a few really nice informative xml tutorials to move
Thanks @dmurphy great job on this and the forums!
It is easy to use, however you pasted your entire work in the summary of the tutorial :) The summary is just meant to be a few words explaining what your tutorial is going to be about, you then add the body of work to it afterwards. I understand the confusion though, I will write a tutorial on how to write a tutorial :D

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Only admins can do it. Let me guess you want some categories for xmlspawner? :)

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Alrighty, gimme a moment. Also, you pasted your tutorial into the summary portion of the tutorial. The summary is meant to be a line or two describing the tutorial. You then add sections to the tutorial.

Here is a tutorial I made earlier, it is short but it will let you know how to use the system. https://www.servuo.com/tutorials/how-to-write-a-tutorial.4/

The Real Keith

Feb 5, 2015
uorevealed.com
Shard Name
UO Revealed
Donate
Thanks for transferring those so quickly @tass23, I went to one of my bookmarks and it was gone and panicked for a moment.
Nice work @dmurphy, wikis are always requested and always go unused lol.

Last edited:

m309

ServUO Developer
Mar 3, 2013
Writing a Tutorial is actually very intuitive and user friendly. I definitely love this addition to the site.

tass23

Aug 28, 2013
St. Petersburg, FL
www.uoexpanse.com
Shard Name
The Expanse
Donate
Writing a Tutorial is actually very intuitive and user friendly. I definitely love this addition to the site.
Yeah, it's better than the Wiki, but I was so used to everything going in one spot, that I didn't realize the summary was separate from the actual section you want to add, so I made a nice mess of my tutorials at first yesterday heh

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, it's better than the Wiki, but I was so used to everything going in one spot, that I didn't realize the summary was separate from the actual section you want to add, so I made a nice mess of my tutorials at first yesterday heh
Yeah, I should add a note on the initial page about the summary. It is not very clear at all to a person making their first tutorial.