1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Maps

Maps

1. Milva

Admin Moderator

Milva submitted a new resource:

Custom Maps - Maps

Read more about this resource...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Omni

Omni Member

Purchased there DVD myself and I'm very impressed with the quality and quantity of what they offer. With the DVD not only do you get all custom maps you also get a few little extras like new animations and art work.

Well worth it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hank

Hank Active Member

The DVD is the best bang for your buck from them. I often find people asking where they can get those 'high detail' terrain and land tiles. Thanks for sharing this Milva.
    I've got all of his work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HellRazor

HellRazor Member

Carl is a great and honest guy and his maps are good stuff, I can vouch for him without hesitation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Makasouleater

Makasouleater New Member

I would of bought the 39.99 thing, if he had it uploaded. Arent dvds like 1900s? haha

6. m309

Admin Moderator ServUO Developer

Its well worth the investment Makasouleater. Also, the download would be massive.

7. Makasouleater

Makasouleater New Member

I wasent saying it wasent worth the money, I love the sounds of it. But its useless to me, my internet uploads at 10kbs, so i would have to upload this 3.84gb dvd to my server computer, which would take way way to long. Now if he had a download, I could download it in mins on my server. Ahhh well, I guess I will just have to figure out all those programs for my self.

8. Makasouleater

Makasouleater New Member

If any one knows how to get ahold of him could you ask him if he could upload it to me? The contact me button on his page doesnt work for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Milva

Admin Moderator

Sending you a pm with contact information :)

10. Makasouleater

Makasouleater New Member

Thank you very much

11. Phred

Phred Member

Hi Milva, I haven't heard back from him myself either.

12. Dian

Dian Active Member

As a guy that has done more with custom map making than anything else in UO, I have seen Darkshard (Carl i believe) over the years create maps and offer them for a small fee of usually $10.00. He has taken a lot of crap from people over the years having to do with various things.
    This guy is the real deal, and has ignored the haters and continued to make maps and offer them to the public. I have defended him in the years past on Ryandor's site, and its good to see that he is still around. Most the haters were just upset that he charged money for a map.. big deal.

His maps are real and of great quality, and I believe offers support for some stuff. Anyone that wants a custom map would not be disappointed with his work.

-Dian

13. Blackstorm

Blackstorm New Member

I bought this DVD, too. Never regret it.

14. Arrrr

Arrrr New Member

But, is this legal? Can i, for example, sell a spawned, custom scripted and decorated shard using one of his maps withouth giving to him or to EA any royalties? I'm just curious.

15. m309

Admin Moderator ServUO Developer

Technically you aren't allowed by the EULA to modify or redistribute any client files, yes. Maps, art, gumps, clilocs, tiledata, client.exe, modifying any of those is technically breaking some sort of copyright law. Has that stopped the freeshard community in 15+ years? No. There has only ever been one legal action (that I know of) taken against a freeshard, and that was the Middle Earth shard - and the action was taken by the Tolkien estates for a cease and desist, not EA/OSI/Mythic/Broadsword.

At this point in MMO's, worrying about UO owners coming after you is like worrying about j-walking in NYC. There are much bigger legal fish to fry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dian

Dian Active Member

Well, the loophole really was the fact that a map maker is creating his own set of *.mul files rather than modifying a set that came installed with the client. He actually went a step further and sold the *.bmp file and included a set of *.mul files, so to minimize the risk, being he was giving away the *.mul files with the purchase of the *.bmp file :)

So there really is nothing illegal about how he sold his work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. demented

demented Active Member

And Selling custom scripts is not illegal either, Frowned upon in the community , yes...the reason its not illegal is due to the fact your creating a addon file for a specific game/game engine/ etc but your writing in in C# script. C# script ( *.cs) is really owned by Microsoft i suppose since they created the language or have rights to it.. but you dont need or have to have an IDE to write it. How ever if you want to make sure there is now bugs and make sure its working as intended.. then yes you need a engine or compiler that know what to do with it. One Standing Loop Hole is..its ok to charge for your time you took to create the script or scripts.

Atleast this has been my understanding =)

18. Dian

Dian Active Member

Whats the deal with some members having a pay pal donate button on the profile?? Why on earth would anyone feel like donating money to some random member on here??
    Sorry, off topic.. but something about that really annoys me. May as well be holding up a cardboard sign..

19. Milva

Admin Moderator

Good Call-never noticed this and very odd! At first I thought it was for ServUO as there used to be one in our profiles for it . But we will check into this

20. Dian

Dian Active Member

I see it, its in the User Control panel, under Personal Details. There is a field for entering your paypal account info to receive donations. I imagine its just a typicall Zenforo feature, nothing that is custom added. I dont know why it annoys me, but just seems pretty pointless. Not that I wouldnt mind receiving some donations myself, mind you ;)
    Sorry for the rant, lol

• Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 1