1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dawn of Ultima 2018-08-30

Full Multiplayer Adventure Server

1. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

Djeryv submitted a new resource:

Dawn of Ultima - Full Multiplayer Adventure Server

Read more about this resource...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joshua

Joshua Active Member

I tried it, and you are absolutely right! Do not play this server with the mind set you are playing Ultima Online. Its more like back with Ultima 7. It's not bad, its challenging too.

3. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

That is a good analogy...a multiplayer Ultima VII...but way more open-worldy, or sandboxy.

4. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

After a few beers this weekend, my friends told me of some flaws they ran into. Because of this, I will keep an accumulated patch updated whenever I fix something as I send them the patch anyway but then you don't need to download the entire thing all over again. The patch included in the main post fixes a few things:

Gargoyle dungeon entrance fixed (client issue)
    Gnoll body value conflict fixed on equipped item
    Moongate in Ambrosia works again
    Tinker jewelry crafting modified and expanded

So nothing major with this small patch, but I just wanted to make sure you all have the latest stuff we are using.

Whenever you apply a patch, you should log in with your admin account and do another [buildworld command just to refresh the world.

5. rhcrafa

rhcrafa New Member

So if I download from source today, I should get latest thing?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 3, 2018 ---
    Will this run on Linux?

6. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

Right now, the main download has what is in the patch. The patch is for people that downloaded the main file before September 2nd. As time goes on, I just wanted to release a smaller patch for those that already downloaded the main file. When people tell me that something is wrong, or seems wrong, I have to make tweaks. This system is only tested with 3 to 5 of us over the course of 6 years, but we still find little things here and there.

RunUO and the UO client is pretty much Windows only. So unless you are good at working with WINE or running a virtual windows machine on your Linux box, you are unable to run it on that OS.

7. rhcrafa

rhcrafa New Member

sweet sweet Thanks a lot, this simply sounds very cool, so Im gona start testing as well.

8. Joshua

Joshua Active Member

It decorate script would be nice though, making backups of the original save does work, but a command is usually better.

9. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

Not sure what you are asking or saying here. The [buildworld command does the spawners and decorations for you. When you rerun the command, it deletes the current decorations and spawners and rebuilds them.

10. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

You can use this package any way you want. Over the years, I just ran it from my house for about 3-10 folks. Over the years, there was only 3 of us that stuck with it because we played UO from the time it was released and we like these style of games that the nostalgia itches us every year (specially during the Fall/Winter months). What happened was one of the 3 moved to a house with no Internet access so I didn't feel like paying the electric bill anymore to have a 24x7 server running when it was played sporadically. So I packaged it up and the three of us just play it in single-player mode. Most times, when it was online, we barely saw each other because we played at different times and usually just wanted to do our own thing anyway. I will say that it was sorta neat to hear the town crier talk about how one of my friends was killed by a giant serpent...or something else, or how another friend completed a quest.

If anyone wants to host this publicly, they should feel free to do so. You can't sell a house just to drive by a week later and bitch at the new owners on how they decorated it. I had a couple of reasons to release it out into the wild. The first was that I wanted it to move through the Internet and hopefully would be preserved in some fashion...as it is currently 6 years worth of work. Not constantly working on it, as I enjoy and do other things...but you get the drift. The other reason is that I think there are people like my friends and I that just want to explore the world of Ultima. To make a specialized character and run around, looking for fame and fortune. It was inspired by games like MUDs and Crossfire...along with old style D&D games.

You can play with friends...or not. There are so many different things to do and so many places to go that I wonder how in the hell I made so much stuff. We barely touched the surface of all the options, but the options are only worth something to the player who may want to play with those options. The world has a bunch of randomization. Just this weekend I went all over the world just trying to see if I could get an item from a vendor, because their daily inventory changes where they have some items and not others. Some major quest items move around from dungeon to dungeon, so just because someone found the Candle of Love in the Ancient Pyramid today...doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow. It could be in one of the other hundred or so dungeons. Because I created this world, I wanted as much randomization as I could do so I would be surprised and not know where something is. A friend of mine found Exodus last week, and slain him. He is someone that moves from dungeon to dungeon so he just stumbled upon him by accident.

Sometimes, I just sit in the tavern and listen to the NPCs talk. Most of what they say is bullshit, but sometimes one of them may rattle off where the Book of Truth was last seen. Sometimes I will find a note in a chest about how some fighter was buried somewhere in Sosaria. The note can be a lie or not...but I don't know unless I get a shovel and go dig them up. Maybe they were buried with their stuff. A friend of mine consulted a sage and learned where he may find Elric's sword. He ran from location to location...getting clues along the way. You know what he found in the end? He found only a replica (counterfeit) of Elric's sword. It now decorates his house. Merchants can help you part with your gold if you need something repaired or identified. If I find a really cool wand, I will run to a mage and pay them to recharge it for me. I like running out into the world and killing thieves and rogues, just to give their heads to the guards to make some money. Yesterday, there was a courier in a town I stopped at. He had mail for me from Dupre, where Dupre asked me to fetch an ancient hammer from Shame. I have yet to run there and do it, but I will soon.

This is what we wanted, questing and adventuring. I want to pursue something, knowing that it may be for nothing. I need this randomization otherwise the game has no surprises for me. I have an assassin character that I worked on his poisoning for a long time. I found the secret assassin guild stronghold and began doing quests for them. It pays well, but they are often quests to go to some random dungeon to kill some random creature. A few months back, I got a quest that stated, "The tinker in Britain owes someone money, and refused to pay. Go deal with him and return here when you are done." So I went into Britain with some poison food, gave it to the tinker, he called out for the guards as he died from it, and I sneaked out of town to go collect my reward.

Sometimes you find too much treasure, where you have to leave stuff behind just to get back home. I remember having an assload of coins in my bag (mostly copper...but that is how it goes) but then I found a large jade statue of a Pegasus. I wanted that statue so bad for my castle that I dumped the coins and carried that thing back. The way this server is setup, I never loved strength potions more. These are other forks/choices I love to be faced with. Do I want these paintings or the large ornate carpets...I can't carry both out of here.

We wanted to find hoards of treasure and slay demons and dragons. UO has that, but it just feels different than it does in my world. On live UO, you go to the same locations to fight the same villains to get the same stuff. I wanted more randomization and more storybook fights...not what champion spawns do (which just seem too artificial to me). I understand that they serve a multiplayer purpose of grouping together and such...it just isn't why I play the game.

When I released this, I warned others that they should not change anything. Although they can do what they want, I stated this for a couple of reasons. First, if you change something...any patch I release will become more and more useless to you as time goes on. Nothing wrong with that, but I am not going to concern myself with how someone customized something I made. Second, it will probably break something. I reminisce on how people would talk about old D&D and say how this is unbalanced or that is broken. What I often find is that the players made a house rule that broke something else...which then these balances are disturbed.

Someone asked "how do I remove unidentified items from the game?" Although any RunUO/ServUO coder knows you can remove it...removing it will break the Item Identification skill I worked so hard to make into something worthwhile (well...they also can sell/buy things at better prices...especially being a grandmaster merchant). Without this skill, you may pass up worthwhile treasure because you don't know what it is. You don't need the skill, but a wizard (for example) will take much longer to fill a spellbook if they can't identify unknown scrolls. So you have to make a choice...use the skill points and ID stuff...or take longer but maybe learn Evaluate Intelligence instead (there is another option, and that is paying mages in town to identify scrolls for you). I want these forks/choices in the game. I want to be faced with them. You will find alot of items in dungeons, but if you play like we do...you will only grab the stuff that is important to your chosen character career (wizard, fighter, thief, etc). Some people say, "I just want one character...so give me unlimited skill points". OK...you can do that...but then you break the game option for playing a fugitive (which gets more skill points available than normal characters). So again...change things at your own risk.

I know I rambled alot here, but I want to be really, really, really, really sure people know what this is and can better judge whether they want to get into it or not. And to make a short story...long...host it, don't host it, play it single player, or play it multiplayer. It is up to you to enjoy it how you see fit.

11. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

Update Released Today:

Moonstones fixed to work in Ambrosia and Kuldar
    The quest to escape Kuldar has been fixed and tested
    Various cosmetic fixes to the world maps
    Tinker jewelry crafting modified and expanded again
    The artifact "Pandora's Box" has been fixed as Razor was opening it on map changes and thus losing charges
    "Potions of Rebirth" have added descriptions so players know how to use them better
    Harpy songs have had their effect time reduced as it was way too long

12. rhasce

rhasce Member

How to update?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 6, 2018 ---
    ok nevermind my question duh lol thanks a lot mate updating.

13. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

The link to get the patch is in the main post. There is a README in it that tells you what to do.

14. rhasce

rhasce Member

Yes thank you sir all instructions worked perfectly, updates live

15. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

For anyone wanting to modify what I release(d), you are obviously free to do so...but you are on your own. I have no interest in supporting this past the information on getting it setup and applying any patches I may release for unmodified versions. If you do develop this on your own path, it would be best to avoid any patches I release from that point. Other than what I already wrote in the included files, this system requires no additional information (or wiki site) as everything can be learned/discovered in-game.

16. rhasce

rhasce Member

Been looking at the structure and the code I realize it is very custom indeed, you will have to know exactly what you are doing before tampering with this.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 7, 2018 ---
    what you done to the client I dont even know where to look hahahah

17. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

Update today, so make sure to read the readme and changelog as the readme wants you to move a folder and file around to help with future patches. The main package has been updated with all of the changes thus far.

Fixed flax to have only one item id for better collecting
    Increased the amount of saved backups to 6
    Fixed a flaw in the Magic Trap spell triggering when traps are placed on the floor
    Fixed a particular issue of logging a character's actions when pets were involved
    Fixed the ranger map to add the newer dungeon locations
    Fixed spawners for special monsters
    Added bananas, coconuts, and dates to the types of fruit you can get from trees
    Pirate Isle is changed to a tropical island

• Like Like x 1
    • Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 1
  18. rhasce

rhasce Member

Updated
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 9, 2018 ---
    Can npc walk less? for next update ;) hehe

19. Djeryv

Djeryv Member

I ran into what you speak of in the early days of this server. When I had the NPCs stand still, the towns seemed eerie and lifeless...so I had them walking again. I simply told my players that CNTRL-SHIFT is your friend so that is how we select them (or drop things on them) when needed. They don't wander all of the time...just sometimes.

20. rhasce

rhasce Member

Sweet Sweet ;) yea I ran into that hehe Thanks a lot of people loving the server and praising it highly I do make sure I tell them if is not my creation, but you rule, I notice Holyman and Darknight Magic are these obtainable in game by players? , the Music rocks.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 11, 2018 ---
    As a Baldurs Gate fan, an UO obviously, I want to say thank you this is so so good, I love this I would really like some pointers can pm or public I dont mind, just in case you ever decide to stop developing, I'm already looking at code but there is so so much, I will leave untouched until I don't hear from you hehe or you announce you will stop development hehe I hope that never happens, so if you and friend want to play it online I will keep it online at dawnofultima.com

#20 rhasce, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018