1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting Items

Discussion in 'Archived Bug Reports' started by Omni, May 6, 2014.

1. Omni

Omni Member

Has anyone noticed that no statics items on the ground are deleted during world saves?

since updating to the latest SVN any item that is placed on the ground gets deleted during a world save..

2. Ce Jayce

Ce Jayce Member

I downloaded the latest copy of ServUO and this was definitely happening. Any items on the ground that were movable would disappear on world saves.
    However on my server, which I have merged to use the latest copy of the ServUO repo i'm not experiencing this, if I download a fresh copy of my server from the repo and start up with fresh saves this bug is there.
    So definitely a bug, i'm just wondering why it's not happening on my server using the old, pre-existing saves?

3. Omni

Omni Member

It is something to do with the XML time fix posted in persistencerreader/writer

The utc/local variable

4. Regnak

Regnak Active Member

5. Crome969

Crome969 Member

I have no experience about GitHub so i wonder how to revert this :) Any help? PS: Looking now here around for GIT-Tutorials

6. Ce Jayce

Ce Jayce Member

Hi Crome
    I've attatched the reverted files here - You need to overwrite the Persistence folder inside Server folder.

Please note that this is not a "Fix" It's just the reverted files - The update to these files originally fixed an issue with the toolbar not saving changes on restart with this revert you will continue to have problems with the toolbar but items should remain on the ground.

I have not sent a pull request to the repo - I will leave that one to the devs as my guess is they will prefer to fix it rather than simply revert.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Kalamus

Kalamus Active Member

Like Ce Jayce pointed out, reverting this fix will make the Toolbar broken again where it's not saving but it will also break anything using the custom framework serialization. That would include Food Effects and Slayer Title System as well.

• Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 1
  8. Crome969

Crome969 Member

It´s fine, better those will be not used temporarely then having issues with the save:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ce Jayce

Ce Jayce Member

My apologies to all, I didn't know that the revert would break other things.
    I know this may be a little off topic here but i wasn't aware that the food effects or slayer title system ever worked? Or atleast i never manged to get them to. @Kalamus - Could you fire me some links as to where I should look to read up on these systems and how they work, what they should do etc?

Thanks

10. Kalamus

Kalamus Active Member

@Ce Jayce I don't think there are links for them an honestly I couldn't tell you much about them. They are custom systems that got added to ServUO a long time ago. I know the Food Effects was added by Dougan Ironfist possible the other too. They are both disabled by default, you have to goto their core files and enable them since they aren't OSI accurate systems. I just remember seeing they they used the same serialization that the toolbar does back when we were trying to figure out why the toolbar was broken http://www.servuo.com/posts/4890/.

11. Hank

Hank Active Member

• Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 1
  12. Ce Jayce

Ce Jayce Member

Thanks to you both for the info, I was thinking that thew slayer title system was a replication of what OSI had done with fame/karma & player titles thanks for clearing it up.

Reading the code is not always the easiest, quickest or best source of information. Nor is it very community driven (Something which makes ServUO stand out above many other communities)
    If I read the code and others then fumble across the topic in the future what use is that to them? They will have to re-read the code or if they aren't able to do that then they're stuck not knowing and will have to make a post asking another to explain it. If everyone that was capable of figuring things out on themselves did so and never pulled on the knowledge of those around them, and those with knowledge never bothered sharing it then the internet wouldn't be what it is today let alone ServUO.
    Everyone has a different level of understanding and while I can now follow several scripts through and find out information a year or so ago I would have been completely lost so your advice while sound it is not very helpful.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Hank

Hank Active Member

These replies directed towards Ce Jayce are strictly my opinion.
    Easiest and quickest probably not depending on the amount of code. Best source of information it is however, after all It's the code that your server uses.
    Others should learn to read the code too. Everyone who thinks they want to run a public uo shard should learn how to read and understand the code.
    Atleast then they would have initially read the code. Why would anyone be un-able to read the code? It's right there for everyone to read and learn from.
    You're right my advise is sound. Anyone who doesn't know how to read code has no business running a public uo shard.

If you don't read your server code how do you know a custom script you add to your server doesn't actually send all your players account information to someone?

14. Ce Jayce

Ce Jayce Member

What if they're not running a public server? Or any server at all? Not everyone on ServUO runs or wants to run a server. Not everyone on ServUO can code. Some of the mods here cannot code yet they are still extremely valuable members of the community.

Let me re-phrase. Not everyone can read and understand the code. A year ago I could read the code word for word but could I understand what it meant in it's entirety or what it was doing? No. not everyone has an interest in coding or even learning how to read it but pretty much everyone here on these forums has an interest in UO and by extension some will have interest in this system and what it does. It's part of 'stock' ServUO.

Once again, not everyone here has an interest in running a public UO shard yet may still be interested in learning about this system. One example would be of a GM of a server with this system enabled, interested in learning about the system so when a problem arises or a player has a question they can be helpful.

Considering I never added this script into my copy of ServUO but it is there by default i'd like to believe that it's not sending account information away. I'll hold my hands up tell you honestly though, i've never read and never have any intention of reading through every line of code within ServUO or RunUO.

I'm confused, the other day you post about how it would be nice to have a guide for XMLSpawner2 at an entry level as its a distro part of ServUO and now you would rather people just read the code, kept themselves to themselves and didn't ask questions?

Sorry if my post annoyed you, it wasn't meant to cause offence although it was probably(definitely) an overreaction at your comment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hank

Hank Active Member

I in no way want people to keep to themselves. As far as the thread about the xmlspawner2 guide,. That is quite a beast of a system with a lot to it and a bunch of ways to use it outside viewing the code.

I want people to share their knowledge and understanding of all things uo. Believe me that I would not have gained as much knowledge as quickly as I have if it was not for others asking questions about code. That being said there has been a lot of question asked about runuo/servuo code. Connecting the mass of questions/answers with what I read in the code has taught me more then any one person could tell me.
    I simply want to see people take more initiative and see them succeed for their efforts. Then if they're so kind they can teach other young padawans their masteries.

I too am sorry and my post was in all intensive purposes an overreaction towards your post. I hope you did not take it personally, I struggle with many community code based concepts.

Also this topic has de-railed from it's original purpose.:eek:

#15 Hank, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  16. m309

Admin Moderator ServUO Developer

Back to topic or I'm locking the thread.

Don't reply to posts/questions if you don't like the question or topic. Or the image. Or the way the code is presented. Or any other reason for that matter. Moderators and Admin are fully capable of correcting someone if we feel they need to do something different, or go about something a different way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ravenwolfe

Moderator ServUO Developer

Can someone give me more information on this bug?

Is this bug still going on? Are items on the ground deleting at world save? Are the items being deleted past their decay time?

I've been looking at the Persistence folder and I'm not finding anything in there that should cause this so far.

Also, I'm looking at the files that CeJayce posted and comparing them to the current files in the SVN and they are identical.

18. Regnak

Regnak Active Member

Hiya !

I can confirm the bug with the current ServUO files.

Although, it seems pretty easy to fix ;)
    Here's the trick : in StandardSaveStrategy.cs replace DateTime.Now by DateTime.UtcNow
    or use the file I have attached here.

Also, to anyone who wants to use this fix before ServUO get updated, don't forget to recompile. :)

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Ravenwolfe

Moderator ServUO Developer

Yep, I see it now. Was not updated to the current time system and was therefore throwing off the decay rate, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Regnak

Regnak Active Member

Side note : Don't forget to change the ParallelSaveStrategy.cs too ;)
    (DateTime.Now --> DateTime.UtcNow)

Side side note : I've tried it on the DynamicSaveStrategy.cs .... and it crashes the server ...
    I guess this one needs to be reworked completely (although it gives incredible results without the mod ! 3x faster ! but items on ground get deleted ....)