1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donations for ServUO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m309, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Swoo

Swoo Member

omg i have to donate i have to donate :D

this is awesome Kilra Yan (i would donate anyways but now that i do, how can i get ur lovely quest?)

Donation done :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kilra Yan

Kilra Yan Member

Congrats for the donation, send me your email via pm :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Awesome, thanks so much for your contribution.

Thank you so much for your donation. It really goes a long way to helping out the site.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Denjiki

Denjiki Active Member

Donated 5. Would really like to give more but alas, I am a poor college student. At some point I intend to donate the other 10 and perhaps get my hands on Kilra's script :). Keep up the good work everyone.

• Cake Reward Cake Reward x 1
  5. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Awesome, thanks man! I know how it feels being poor. I am a student myself :p

6. Kilra Yan

Kilra Yan Member

5 in three months = 15, you make a note to remember when u reach i will share the content with u too.

Now press on eheh :p

#26 Kilra Yan, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. fwiffo

fwiffo Member

Interesting way to support the site, I've done a 30$ donations, even if I bet I can't use the package since I have a modded shard at hand, but anyway, I am damn curious to peek in it!

Send me send me, eheheh

8. Kilra Yan

Kilra Yan Member

Sure, please send me your email address via pm.
    The quest should be compatible.

Edit: whoever has donated and wish to have the last updated files please contact me.

#28 Kilra Yan, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  9. Denjiki

Denjiki Active Member

Curious about the ServUO Donations monthly "Goal" displayed. It appears to reset every time the goal is met? This month we've had some great donations, but you might not be able to tell that by just looking at the main page -- right now it says we've only met 17% of the "goal", even though the $30/month goal has far been exceeded. Could someone explain this? As someone who donated its a little unsettling to see the site advertise that we haven't had enough community contributions to meet the monthly needs even though we have -- I realize you can see donations made by contributors after you click on donation details but to most viewers they just look at the progress bar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kilra Yan

Kilra Yan Member

Imo there should be also a month counter tho, where is shown till up which month the donations are covering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Yeah I agree, this system has been there since before I was around and I find it odd too.

A change in the donation system is on the books anyway, I just have not gotten around to it. I do appreciate every donation received. This month has been particularly great exceeding the goal but other months we have not received donations at all so months like this help to offset that. It's hard to say how much each month will cost too as each month is usually different as I play around with the servers we use. I increase and decrease resources as we need them and more than one server is used. For instance the shard poller and api services are hosted on their own server because they take up a good chunk of resources and would cause issues if I kept it on the same server as this site.

The $30 asked for each month would probably average out the be correct but some months the cost is greater. There are also other costs such as the wiki addon, that is a monthly cost to us too.

Edit to add: Almost every time someone donates I add it right into the account to pay for the hosting, none of it is kept in the paypal for more than a couple of days and usually is transferred within a few hours.

I use a couple of services to keep the lights on around here so I juggle around the funds between them. I want to be 100% transparent about the donations. Mostly the donations go into aws and digital ocean. I use these as the backend for much of the site and services. Then sometimes there are other costs such as software, the forum software needs to be bought all over again because insanity has the license and I have no access to get updates or to renew a lapse. That is a significant cost and will have to be spent very soon. I don't want people thinking that I am using the donations personally. I am not. Even though the donations might seem significant and I am truly happpy people are chipping in, mostly they just about cover us when you average them out. I have myself had to cover shortfalls (Which I am happy to do every now and then) when they have not reached enough for the monthly bills which depending on what the month was like could have cost way more than the $30 asked on the homepage.

#31 dmurphy, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 1
  12. Vorspire

Vorspire Vita-Nex: Core
    Admin ServUO Developer

Perhaps the donation box is resetting the target because it's compensating for previously missed targets. I suspect when it catches up with the difference, it will begin to behave like we expect. I can't be certain about that though, but it would make sense.

13. Swoo

Swoo Member

and at least its not soooooo important how it behaves aslong the money arrives :p

14. Denjiki

Denjiki Active Member

We certainly appreciate everything you do :). I definitely did not want to come off like I thought the donations weren't being used properly, quite the opposite in fact -- just simply wondering if anyone had any answers to why it appeared to be resetting. Vorspire's explanation would certainly make sense. Hopefully this month's donations have helped to make up for previous months.

About the forum software -- is Insanity just uncontactable or whats the deal? It'd be a shame if ServUO had to bear the expense of a re-purchase simply because we can't get ahold of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Nah the counter is simply resetting like a odometer reaching 99999999.
    I will come up with a better system in the near future. I have some ideas but they are not #1 in the important scale right now.

As for insanity I have not been able to contact him since January, I hope he is okay but we were kinda left in the lurch in a lot of respects. It's almost certain that I will have to purchase a new license before christmas. It's a shame really.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Milva

Admin Moderator

dmurphy has done one heck of a great job on the forums for sure, there have been months were the donation goal was not met so getting nice donations sure does help :) So many kept stating we need a wiki- so come on all add to the wiki any time!

• Like Like x 1