Jul 29, 2013
United Kingdom
core.vita-nex.com
Shard Name
Ultima Shards: Multiverse
Donate
Donate money to this user
Hello everyone!

First I'd like to say thank you to those who have forked ServUO and are actively submitting pull requests for review. Your hard work is paying off in taking this community forward!

However, I have been receiving a few complaints that the project doesn't build when compiling in Visual Studio.
The main reason for this happening is, when new files are added, they are not being "included" in the project as far as VS is concerned. Even though ServUO.exe still compiles without issues, if you use VS to compile, you end up with missing reference errors.

I would like to remind all contributors to make sure any new files they add to the project are included in the VS project solution.

Excluded files and folders appear white in VS 2010 Ultimate and later versions; in Express versions, the option to see excluded files is not available.
You can show these excluded files by selecting the "Server" or "Scripts" project in the Solution Explorer pane and then clicking the "Show All Files" button;
ai.imgur.com_75flZAO.png

When you find an excluded file or folder, right-click it and select "Include In Project" to make them a part of the solution.
Please do NOT include /bin or /obj folders and do NOT include /Scripts/Output

Lastly, before you submit a pull request, please make sure you can fully compile the server using VS as well as using the BAT files - if we follow these simple guide-lines, we will reduce issues and conflicts for the entire community!

Thanks again for all of your continued support of ServUO, together, we will always come out on top!

Reactions: Greed and dmurphy

Dexter_Lexia

Admin
ServUO Developer
Jul 3, 2014
USA
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
My bad, I've never used the project solution. I've always used the bat compile method. I'll have to read up on this and make sure I include these. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: Vorspire

Vorspire

Vita-Nex: Core
Admin
ServUO Developer
Jul 29, 2013
United Kingdom
core.vita-nex.com
Shard Name
Donate
All good, I've done it too (very recently) :D
I didn't realise until someone reported it, so after that I excluded the entire /Scripts folder and included it again (to make sure any/all files were properly included from then on)

Zane

Citizen
Mar 24, 2015
@Vorspire - you can make sure that bin and obj folders aren't included in commits by adding these lines to your .gitignore file:

# Ignore Visual Studio build files
[Dd]ebug/
[Rr]elease/
x64/
build/
[Bb]in/
[Oo]bj/

I also exclude test, user specific, resharper, and profiler files in mine:
https://github.com/ZaneDubya/UltimaXNA/blob/master/.gitignore

This really helps with keeping all that binary and user specific cruft out of your commit history!

Reactions: Greed

Vorspire

Vita-Nex: Core
Admin
ServUO Developer
Jul 29, 2013
United Kingdom
core.vita-nex.com
Shard Name
Donate
The .gitignore file won't stop Visual Studio from including the files in the IDE and .csproj - that's the issue, not the inclusion of the actual bin/obj folders in the repository.
ServUO's .gitignore is already configured for all the directories/files that don't need to be included in the repository :)
https://github.com/ServUO/ServUO/blob/master/.gitignore said:
/ServUO.pdb
/ServUO.exe
/Ultima.dll
/Ultima/bin
/Ultima/obj
/Server/bin
/Server/obj
/Scripts/bin
/Scripts/obj
/Scripts/Output
/Logs