1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free domain names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dmurphy, May 12, 2016.

1. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

I find myself with a lot of extra Azure credit these days (I am a microsoft partner / bizspark admin) so rather than let the credit expire every month I thought I would let the community benefit from it.

I notice a lot of people using free hosting platforms that use long and unsightly domain names and sub domain names. So, what I would like to do is offer members here domain names of their choice.

I'm limited in the amount of domain names I can offer the community so in order to qualify you should meet some requirement as laid out below:
    • Member here longer than a month
    • Have more than 25 posts (Spam will get you nowhere except banned, I will check before hand)
    • Have a project based on ServUO either in development or in production.
    Now here is where the issue lies, the domains will be tied to my azure account, I can manage the DNS for you if you give me the information and can set up whatever you need on the domain side, you will not have access to these settings UNLESS you want me to transfer the domain to a registrar of your choice. This will require you to pay the transfer fee at your registrar but usually you also get another years service when doing that. You will need to let me know if you would like to do this, you will then have full control over the domain name and it will be out of my control.

If you do not want to transfer the domain then I recommend you use cloudflare to manage the domain, you will get almost as much access to the domains DNS properties then plus the protection of the cloudflare platform (Free tier will suffice)

Supplies are limited, so when they are out you will have to wait until I have credit available again (Which is monthly.)

• Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Lokai

Moderator ServUO Developer

Are you offering to register the names and host them or just one of those things?

3. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

Just to register the domain names and point them to your own hosting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Candy Apple

Candy Apple Member

Hi there how are we?? I have a question! ok im looking to get wordpress for a web site for White Tiger my server :) But I was told ill need a 2nd Domain name to set to my IP address so ppl can log in the server with out using a bunch of #s LOL the Static IP. is this true??