So here is my script question, I know how to do all of this I just want input on if it's a good idea or bad idea...

I want to disable the console and world broadcast that a save is happening, then set up rapid auto saving that happens every 1-5 seconds (depends on testing on what I would actually use).

Would this cause instability to the shard and what shard save times increase? since any new change will write quickly and not over write existing data it should be quick (in theory..) .

I will admit I probably do not know nearly enough to say why this is a bad idea, but I would like to know the opinions of those with more experience then myself.

A world save serializes every everything regardless of whether or not it changed. And while a save is occurring everything pauses. Some save strategies allow the actual disk I/O to occur in the background, but while the processing of world state is occurring everyone will still be frozen in place.

So if you save every five seconds, then every five seconds everyone on your shard will stop in place.

If your users don't like the world save timeout I would recommend setting the auto save timer longer (like four hours).

Back