I am new to ServUO, though I have been working, off and on, on a RunUO server for a few years now. My interest in actually finishing and releasing my shard was renewed recently.

I started my Ultima journey many years ago, in 1991, or 1992, with Ultima V. After this I played through III and IV. Ultima V remains my favorite of the Ultimas (and my favorite CRPG), though I have not taken the opportunity to play subsequent Ultimas. I also played Ultima Online from 1997 until early 1999, and remain a huge fan of the Ultima universe and lore, and I have played briefly on a few private shards over the years.

I had intended to post this on the RunUO homepage, and used to post there fairly frequently, but it appears to have closed. I have been working on my own RunUO shard on and off for a few years. I am no programmer or artist, though I did teach myself enough to implement most of my desired features, including modifying the map, putting several systems in place, modifying other systems (class system, guild system, quite a few others), creating some gumps, etc. I have invested quite a lot of hours to learning code and such, to implementing these features, and to getting the game world to look and feel the way I want. I likewise had quite a bit of help from members of the RunUO community. My shard has a very specific theme, focus and aesthetic, and is not intended to attract an enormous player base (200 max, though it will almost certainly be less than this). It is quite possible it will attract no one except me. It is likewise not a terribly ambitious project compared to some shards I have seen, though it is a bit of a niche project, focused to a great extent on creating and maintaining a certain atmosphere and aesthetic.

This is a hobby and a homage project. I keep dropping it, and then feel compelled to return to it. The shard is relatively near to completion (I think), though there are a few problem areas. Basically, I have hit a bit of a wall in these areas. The shard likewise needs a knowledgeable someone to take a look at the scripts and do some tweaking, and to take a look at how it runs and to do some troubleshooting. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with working on/running RunUO shards, or can perhaps point to someone(s) who does. I am just doing some initial research at the moment, but would like to find a programmer who is familiar with RunUO, to present to that person the vision for my shard, and to get an idea as to how much he or she would charge to implement the remaining features and to help me launch the shard. I would also like to get a notion of how expensive it might be to run a shard such as I have in mind, to see if it is feasible to proceed. Also, a complimentary sanity check would be nice.

Thank in advance for any help and advice.

Welcome to ServUO :) Your server will be very unique and fun- checking out your page a bit more

Welcome to ServUO. I am not a skilled programmer, so no way I can help you with your problems :-/ Anyway I hope you find the help you requested and get you project online. I did not play on an oldschool server for lets say 9 years (or more), I am just in development right now. But maybe I give it a try if you can accept my lack in perfect english (I am from Germany). If you need some advice in graphics I can gladly help you. I am also working on my own project which will be somewhat a complete overhaul of Ultima Online in graphics and maybe also partially in scripting.

See you

Welcome to ServUO :) Your server will be very unique and fun- checking out your page a bit more

Thank you very much!
[doublepost=1474134784][/doublepost]
Welcome to ServUO. I am not a skilled programmer, so no way I can help you with your problems :-/ Anyway I hope you find the help you requested and get you project online. I did not play on an oldschool server for lets say 9 years (or more), I am just in development right now. But maybe I give it a try if you can accept my lack in perfect english (I am from Germany). If you need some advice in graphics I can gladly help you. I am also working on my own project which will be somewhat a complete overhaul of Ultima Online in graphics and maybe also partially in scripting.

See you

Thank you very much! Your project sounds fascinating. I may get in touch at some point regarding graphics, scripting etc. I have seen some truly beautiful reworking of the UO graphics. If you are up to it, I would love to share my design document, to maybe get your ideas, advice, etc. I have been putting it into a simple, one page summary of what I have accomplished, what I somewhat know how to accomplish, and those areas I cannot do myself and will require significant help with.

Back