Hey guys,

i'm trying to fig out. if i post my shard up online, can people just "steal" my map's and use
em however they wish without me having anything to say about it?

i cant find any info on this topic.

thanks

Without the actual files? In short, no.

Can they "copy" and do it themselves over time...yes.

Since the basics of what you are using to do this, IE: the uo client, is not yours anyways you can not copyright it.

Yes- once they have the patch in their client for your server/ maps then they could use them (if they know how to do it :)

Its not hard to own some ones stuff because any uo files you give out is never yours to copyright. I seen these in the chat about darkshard maps

if some one buys darkshard map.bmp and turns them into mul or UOP files. then puts them up for download and people can get those files and post them for others to download if they wish. so people would not have to buy darkshard.bmp files

Now if you ask me I would create a tool that is more thena patcher I hope your all reading these to help you all from lawsuits.

Build a patcher tool like these

Patcher server hosts .bmp maps

Patcher Client clicks ip it downloads the BMP file then once bmp file is downloaded the patcher client converts these file into the .mul or .uop

I hope you all followed that if so these what will do

EA/Boardsword then can not go after you for sending out there files because a .BMP is not there file and its not copyright to them. NOw you just gave your self a break from having to worry about it being stolen. as well the bmp once downloaded is locked into the program and is converted in the program by the patcher client to a .mul and or .uop. also these allows smaller patchers to shards and easier to manage all around.

you can al thank me later for that idea.

wow, thank you all for posting. so it seems like once you make a shard open to the public. you do not have any rights to the map0.mul's etc etc.

good to know.

Even if you found a way to keep the game files themselves safe.
'Talented' people can always copy/mimic your map, buildings, scripts, art, etc from gameplay, screenshots, video or even word of mouth.
Nothing is safe once it hits the public view.

This is why a lot of Artists left uo behind. They were sick of people using their art without permission..

Last edited:
if your shard is fun and fair and not pay to win charcters. also always adding or making things better and not trying to please the crybabies you will always always be on top.

Back