I need a good host to put my shard on, one that is very reliable and pricing is fair, Can anyone helpl me with ANY suggestions? THank you in advance.

What you need is a VPS. That are many you can try for free or really cheap.

https://portal.fxvm.net/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0 (cheap)
Free VPS Trial | Get your VPS Free Trial Server | VPSServer (free)
Free VPS Trial for 30 Days | IONOS by 1&1 (free)
Kamatera Express – Performance Cloud Infrastructure (free)
https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting (cheap)
ClubVPS - Production Worldwide Cloud Infrastructure - 30 days totally Free (free)

If this is your first server:

-- You should try to run it from your own desktop until you have some players.
-- You should never get a host before your server is ready to launch. ( it will just cost a lot of money for you. )

Have you thought about a NUC/other mini-computer and running it from your home network? RunUO/ServUO don't require that much under the first years. Well, you need an SSD to have some speed then the server saves data.

To solve the server name you can use some kind of Dynamic DNS service, they are free.
Dynu (I use this one)

Here is a random example of a NUC .

Last edited:
whoa
i think im ready to go public but all this is far fetched for me.. lots of help with servuo from this forum got me a long way(thank you servuo forums) but minimal instruction with public set up has kept my servers private... i can understand if someone made a tutorail to make a public server then everybody would have one...
good post but im still lost

whoa
i think im ready to go public but all this is far fetched for me.. lots of help with servuo from this forum got me a long way(thank you servuo forums) but minimal instruction with public set up has kept my servers private... i can understand if someone made a tutorail to make a public server then everybody would have one...
good post but im still lost
If you rent a Virtual Private Server (VPS) you will have remote desktop access to that server and you can treat it the same as your home PC; you transfer your shard to the VPS and run the exe.

If you want to make your local shard public on your home network, you can follow this;
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The default port for UO is 2593 over TCP
The optional server-list ping listener binds on port 12000 over UDP

For VPS hosting, I recommend NFOservers Server Rentals :: Order a VDS / VPS :: NFOservers
1692027027037.png

Port forwarding is what gets a lot of people hung up since every router/modem has its own unique admin menu and options, which makes it impossible to provide step-by-step instructions since every make/model is different.

But don't worry, it's not too hard. They are all similar and almost every internet router or modem has a port forwarding option.

You will need to read the manual for your router/modem to get its IP address and the admin name/password so you can access its configuration menu. A lot of routers/modems use the default admin username and password of Admin / Admin.

Enter the IP address in your web browser, enter the admin username and password, and log in to the router/modem. Then look around for port forwarding options. You want to forward port 2593 (or whatever port you have ServUO configured to use).

Note that this also applies to any other similar network devices you might have connected between your computer and the router/modem - since the port has to be open on those devices as well to allow internet traffic on that port to flow to and from your computer.

The above mainly applies to running ServUO on your home computer.

ALSO - make sure the firewall software on the computer running ServUO is not blocking ServUO.

If people cannot connect to your server, 99.9% of the time it is either because the port is not being forwarded properly or there is firewall software blocking the connection.

Last edited:
Getting a shard started on Windows is easy.

Getting a shard started on Linux, a bit harder (because of the programs you need to download to make it all work), setting up port forwarding (which is a little tricky), and learning the whole Linux commands (which I did from the command line interface, CLI, instead of using a gui, to save on resources).

Now that I been using Linux to run my shard for a few years, do I regret it, would go back to Windows, do I wish I took the easy route, NO. I wanted a challenge.

Back