Hi. I'm usually most active on runUO community, but recently i came to the conclusion that the forum could collapse in any time, and i don't want to stay there when it happens.

Judging by recent commits, seems like both projects are updated at the same rate, but the stability of this community transmits me comfort.

My question is this: I'm using 2.5 runuo, how much effort do i have to expect in migrating my server to servuo? i made core changes, a few actually, and some important script changes. Is there some kind of migrating guide?

Welcome Arrrr. With a good merging tool (WinMerge or BeyondCompare) migrating won't be an issue. I had a lot of core edits, and a ton of custom injections in distro's and it took a day of leisurely merging.

Welcome to ServUO :). If you are just trying to merge your changes and scripts into a fresh ServUO then you aren't looking at much time at all. On the other hand if you are trying to keep your RunUO saves to work with ServUO then you probably have a ton of work ahead of you merging the Serialize/Deserialize correctly. Running RunUO's and ServUO's code through a diff tool is going to show tons and tons of minor formatting changes because ServUO has been run through both JustCode (back when it was ForkUO) as well as ReSharper cleaning methods. Most of the formatting changes will be ignored but if you don't know C# you are going to be overwhelmed looking at something like PlayerMobile in a diff tool.

Welcome to the ServUO community Arrrr, m309 and Kalamus laid it out straight for you. I made the switch myself and it was not that difficult. However I had one advantage that a lot of people don't spend the time doing from the start. I label all my code and changes with comments of unique keywords and document them in an update log I keep. This way I was able to go through change by change I made and re-do or simply copy it over to the servuo portion of code. I wish you the best of luck on your merger.

Yeah, i did something along those lines, i put regions and comments with the initials of my server. Thanks for all your replies, i believe i will continue programing with runuo (anyway, i always try to add stuff using new classes) and, when i'm done, i will migrate using those diff tools.

Back