I'm trying to build a decent server for our playerbase, though I haven't seen anywhere where fellow owners post their hardware specifications.

That being said, I'm running a Xeon E5-1650 (12 Cores [with hyperthreading] @3.5Ghz), 16G ECC RAM, and 4x146G SAS drives set RAID10.

Could ya'll help me out by giving me what you think the amount of players I would be able to host on my server?

What do other people run?

Thank You!

Your current hardware would support a shard equivalent to some of the most popular out there at the moment.

You'll run out of players to invite before you run out of resources, except maybe for RAM in the worst-case scenario, I've seen a shard use upwards of 10 GB of memory with 500+ players online, but it's rare, especially when the shard is coded properly.

We host up to 9 shards on the same box, similar hardware to what you have except we bumped the RAM up to 64gb, we still haven't used even a quarter of that.

Very good to hear @Voxpire, thank you for the reply. :)

It sounds as though I won't have to worry about hardware upgrades for some time. Maybe in the future if we get a ridiculous amount of players, I may have to up the RAM, but beyond that... should be good.

That's just music to my ears. :)

Back