I'm still in dev on my own RP shard. Of course that is not my first project. I'm play on uo 12 years and admin uo servers from 10 years and i still try ty make best RP shard for Polish community.

From technical side i know good RP shard must have :
1. Own map & history ( ppl don'twant play on uo maps ( despise, destard, hytloth etc. )
2. Lot of customs ( auto quests, new mobiles, custom desktop etc. )
3. Nice website and good forum script ( fcuk phpbb :p )
4. Experienced team, and at least two masters of the game responsible for the quests.

I wait for more sugesstions :)

Greetings

I started playing uo on a RP shard. First and foremost you need good roleplayers (players). Second you need shard lore/history. Third even if you use the default world you have to make it seem like every inch of the world could be hiding a secret or a possible adventure. You have to remember that a lot of the player community has been spoiled like bratty kids or adults who are trying to find entertainment not a second job. Another aspect you must keep in mind during the entire length of your shards life is will the combat be geared towards pvm or pvp, in my experience there has never been a shard to have both and it work flawlessly. Tendencies lean towards pvp because that is the ultimate AI. Then make the pvm harder to promote a sense that pvp is key to survival, If that makes sense.. Lastly i believe a good RP shard must have rock solid rules, of course leave certain leniencies for obvious things such as ooc areas or kids being able to play if their parents do (if your doing an adult shard)

But despite everything i just said I think the thing that is above all else is that you are having fun. If the owner of the shard is not having fun then it's likely that the players will also not being having as much fun as they could be.

Rp players like a lot a the "power to change and interact with the world".
This "power" can be a simple strong political system, or a "conquest city system" like factions.
If you don't want player driven political system, you need a lot of Gm-made quests that interact and change the world.
I suggest you to see the game Wakfu, a good turn based mmo game, with a lot of idea for a good rp shard, the only thing of wakfu is that isn't rp :(.
In this game player can also change the "ecosystem of the world". A good rp idea imho.

You also might want a good team of animators, who will do live quests for your players :) The players will want new gumps suchs as new clothing and armors, uo-pixel is a great site to check. They will want a new custom map for sure ~ They will want an interesting story line for sure, with some races, maybe even a class system. From where i've played in the past, there was even an RP evolution with levels and you were judged by the GM from 1 to 5, with your quality of RP. Some players might prefer not to many cities, so it can centralize all the people in one or two places, after all you want to see them RP and keep them busy.

I'm still in dev on my own RP shard. Of course that is not my first project. I'm play on uo 12 years and admin uo servers from 10 years and i still try ty make best RP shard for Polish community.

From technical side i know good RP shard must have :
1. Own map & history ( ppl don'twant play on uo maps ( despise, destard, hytloth etc. )
2. Lot of customs ( auto quests, new mobiles, custom desktop etc. )
3. Nice website and good forum script ( fcuk phpbb :p )
4. Experienced team, and at least two masters of the game responsible for the quests.

I wait for more sugesstions :)

Greetings

I disagree with items 1 and 2. What makes a good RP shard is: 1. Players; 2. Good Staff; 3. Quests and events.

Back