...unlike my relationship status.

Servus! Some call me Niemand ("Neemund", if you need the pronounciation). Let me tell you about myself and my reasons for being here.

When I was about fourteen, I played D2LOD until I found UO. Switching from Hack and Slash to a german hardcore RP shard was quite a step and got me into a lot of trouble there. Especially with puberty and the beginnings of the development of a personality most people are unable to bear with or understand. I guess I am one of these creative eccentrics that always find the wrong words and piss people off. I later learned to enjoy that. What I did not learn is to fit in. :D
Somehow, even while being quite disliked by staff and community, I got addicted to UO and had loads of great learning experiences and encounters.

But during all that time, I started to get fed up. By the biased staff and the bitching community. I switched shards several times but either they were technically too OSI or opportunistically and socially too... let's just say "limited".

Afterwards I played different other things. Minecraft, Warband, ArcheAge, Rust. A new UO shard opened, I played there, just to get annoyed again by the limits they set and the grind required.

I always had ideas in my head. For an UO shard, for whole games. Sadly, I never aquired the resources required and as a member of Gen Y, my motivation straight out sucks.

Yesterday (Happy Hanuka everyone!) I decided I want to look into UO again. RunUO was the last thing I could recall, and googling it brought me here.

I will now try to fiddle around on my own little personal shard. I have the basic skills of building and designing. I am able to HTML+CSS and a bit to PHP+SQL. I tried to learn java in school a few years ago, but failed. I am able to host servers and my dedicated server is running anyways.

There will not be any promises that this little urge will ever be satisfied. UO is old as hell and the graphics won't appeal to anyone anymore (don't get me wrong. I love isometrical view and the love that was put into all those pixels. But most people playing do it for the nostalgia.). I don't have the need for my project to ever be populated.

What I want to create instead is a world that is explorable and enjoyable, even without too many active players.
I would also like to orient myself in the direction of realism. Animal-AI, farming, deforestation and auto-reforestation. I'd like to add a new skill system with points and skill trees. Limited resources and destruction by human hands. Maybe beginning with a world designed for the animals. A little show case of an UO ecosystem.
To be honest, I'd also love to see a new fighting system where you need to block and choose where your attack hits. More interactivity.

For Rules, I'd go for hardcore roleplay. No requirements of detailed emotes when no one is looking. Also, I would not force players into religions or a class system. I would write a background story, but the island is led by players, without much staff interference. New religions can be founded if they find players. Players can take over the civilization and create a dictatorship. Correspondence will stay inGame. Thievery and break ins can get you leverage. Permadeath will end things quickly. One wrong step and you are back to char creation (chars will need a bit of a back story the admins need to check). That goes for every player - the freshly spawned peasant as well as the knight mayoring the town. The staff will be there to control roleplay. When it comes to fairness, I am used to Rust and would like to bring some of that to my shard. People unable to roleplay won't be banned. They will be stuck into the bodies of "mute" animals like rats and cats and sheep and pig, so they can learn to roleplay without doing much harm. If they dislike that, there is a log out button. Maybe this could even be a requirement needed to play a human character in the first place.

Now this all is merely me dreaming. I am just one guy, bored and fed up by all the games that are released the last years and I will try to start this slow, maybe even give up in a week. Not every of these ideas may work out. Still, I wanted you to know who I am and what I am up to.
If you are willing to help, I am grateful for everything (especially knowledge and patience) and everyone.

I am also thinking about commissioning most of the scripts. Can anyone give me some intel on average pricing? (I know this depends on scripter, script size and complexity.) I'm curious if I could even afford any of it.

iRL I am into webdevesign (not a typo), aquaristics and beginner wood working.

Godspeed!
--NMND

So you're "difficult"? That's ok. I'm probably the least difficult person you'll ever meet. :)

I played ArcheAge too. I'd love to use that 3D engine to run a UO-based sandbox world. How awesome would that be?! If only runuo scripts could be made to work with it. *drool*

Anywho...developing a shard is a lot of fun. It's a great creative outlet to see your imagination come to life. I'm sure all of us here would agree that it's a bit addictive!

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Greetings,

I like your style. Like you, I also suffer from prejudice by most of this community because I come from the days when men were men in UO. The problem these days is everyone that plays UO is a carebear. Real UO is not about making friends and killing monsters. The game was created for murderers like us. Anyone who has played real PvP know the meaning of life is the enjoyment of reaching out online and murdering the player next to you and then taking everything they have. Sadly, the players now that claim to be PvP players win by using Paypal and buying the best gear and an overpowered pet of the month that they send after another player while they stand there. The reason behind it all is common core education. No one has skill anymore. They play the game to grow flowers and decorate their houses like a bunch of hippies. A true PvP player should become an alcoholic, quit their job, divorce their wife and sell their kids to some form of middle easterners. The other problem is that most shard owners these days can't develop a website let alone script an npc that just stands their. They hire staff members to make sure no one is killing other players and taking their Paypal gear. To be a real shard owner you must have grit and preferably a beard. If you're a female shard owner you should take many male hormones or buy a fake beard and wear it while you drink Pabst Blue Ribbon or Lonestar. If you can't handle beer, Jim Beam or rubbing alcohol would be an acceptable substitute .. windex would be an ok last resort. Most shard owners also have a large ego but can't handle pressure from PvP players due to many tickets from their donators once they are killed in Felucca. A true shard owner must set his shard for mass murder. If his wife should try to convince him otherwise, slapping her around awhile with a fish may help if divorce is not an option. A good way to get her in line would make her dress up in some form of animal costume such as a porpoise while holding a shard advertising sign in front of a respectable establishment such as a pawn shop, county jail or abortion clinic. DDoS competing shards will also help you as well as using a vpn on vote sites to cheat votes. If you look around you'll notice that the best shards are staffed by people with mental disorders as well.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and am always here when you need a shoulder to cry on.

Archeage would've been a great game if it wasnt run by a greedy ass company.

The current state of mmorpgs is just SADDDDDDDDD.

There are few incoming interesting mmorpgs or probably just vaporware- scams, and thats all.

Full loot games are not possible anymore, its the THEME PARK era. Where mmorpgs are easy as hell, made for kids. And if any full loot mmorpg appears it will aim for a nitche community (small) and probably wont succeed

The current Mmorpgs are boring, lineal questing with no sandbox elements or even full loot....microtransaction, pay2win, cash shops...companies moving to mobile games where the honey pot is at.

we are victims of our time.

I wish i could go back in time, sighhhh :p

sorry for my shitty english as always

Eyo! Thank you for your posts. Just to let you know, I am reading every reply, post and message and I will answer, but due to iRL distractions that will take a while. :)

Finally I have a few minutes of the night.
Last days were a bit stuffed, but at l(e)ast life is marching forward. :D

Thanks for all the Welcomes and Hails!

So you're "difficult"? That's ok. I'm probably the least difficult person you'll ever meet. :)

I played ArcheAge too. I'd love to use that 3D engine to run a UO-based sandbox world. How awesome would that be?! If only runuo scripts could be made to work with it. *drool*

Anywho...developing a shard is a lot of fun. It's a great creative outlet to see your imagination come to life. I'm sure all of us here would agree that it's a bit addictive!

Have fun and enjoy the ride!
I am not sure about the 3D engine. I still love isometric stuff. 3D isn't that RPable. Still, the game was really promising, but greed took it again. As always. And I don't really like tab-target on 3D. No skill necessary there. Just press your F-keys in the right order. :D

Yeah, I bet it is. Having the ideas alone is fun. Sadly, with upcoming life changes I will be occupied for at least four months during renovations and movement.
Even playing UO was addictive. Getting stuff done is an addiction that gets added to it additionally. :p

Greetings,

I like your style. Like you, I also suffer from prejudice by most of this community because I come from the days when men were men in UO. The problem these days is everyone that plays UO is a carebear. Real UO is not about making friends and killing monsters. The game was created for murderers like us. Anyone who has played real PvP know the meaning of life is the enjoyment of reaching out online and murdering the player next to you and then taking everything they have. Sadly, the players now that claim to be PvP players win by using Paypal and buying the best gear and an overpowered pet of the month that they send after another player while they stand there. The reason behind it all is common core education. No one has skill anymore. They play the game to grow flowers and decorate their houses like a bunch of hippies. A true PvP player should become an alcoholic, quit their job, divorce their wife and sell their kids to some form of middle easterners. The other problem is that most shard owners these days can't develop a website let alone script an npc that just stands their. They hire staff members to make sure no one is killing other players and taking their Paypal gear. To be a real shard owner you must have grit and preferably a beard. If you're a female shard owner you should take many male hormones or buy a fake beard and wear it while you drink Pabst Blue Ribbon or Lonestar. If you can't handle beer, Jim Beam or rubbing alcohol would be an acceptable substitute .. windex would be an ok last resort. Most shard owners also have a large ego but can't handle pressure from PvP players due to many tickets from their donators once they are killed in Felucca. A true shard owner must set his shard for mass murder. If his wife should try to convince him otherwise, slapping her around awhile with a fish may help if divorce is not an option. A good way to get her in line would make her dress up in some form of animal costume such as a porpoise while holding a shard advertising sign in front of a respectable establishment such as a pawn shop, county jail or abortion clinic. DDoS competing shards will also help you as well as using a vpn on vote sites to cheat votes. If you look around you'll notice that the best shards are staffed by people with mental disorders as well.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and am always here when you need a shoulder to cry on.
Urrr... while being a hunter and crafter player I only agree with you on half of your badly formatted rant. What I missed on most shards were consequences. "Oh this is my tenth robbery this month. No, the guard just let me loose because I bitched OOC about guard brutality." is something I would not tolerate. Be a criminal as much as you want but be prepared for the axe. Stupidity can lead to natural selection as well (see people texting and driving).

I appreciate the offer of your shoulder and will establish conversation when my hunger sets in. #nohomopurecannibalism

Archeage would've been a great game if it wasnt run by a greedy ass company.

The current state of mmorpgs is just SADDDDDDDDD.

There are few incoming interesting mmorpgs or probably just vaporware- scams, and thats all.

Full loot games are not possible anymore, its the THEME PARK era. Where mmorpgs are easy as hell, made for kids. And if any full loot mmorpg appears it will aim for a nitche community (small) and probably wont succeed

The current Mmorpgs are boring, lineal questing with no sandbox elements or even full loot....microtransaction, pay2win, cash shops...companies moving to mobile games where the honey pot is at.

we are victims of our time.

I wish i could go back in time, sighhhh :p

sorry for my shitty english as always
I absolutely agree to your ArcheAge statement. I always preach: Greed will ruin our planet, but people rather whine about immigrants or the gender pay gap or needing a fourth toilet. [insert anti stupidity rant here]

The only incoming MMORPG I am interested in is StarCitizen. But that is one of those games that will eat a lot of time - and I am unsure if I am willing to sacrifice that.

Nearly every game is easy as hell, btw. Microtransactions are also in every AAA-title (like Battlefield and CoD and Counterstrike and most of the Battle Royale games that were trending a year ago). But bitching about it won't help much. Only way is to boycott it or dev our own game without MicroTrans and p2w. ;)

Sir, my formatting IS terrible here, I say old chap. That's due to the fact that I'm not going to bother formatting on a forum after writing 4 MLA formatted papers a week for my B.S. in Cybersecurity. It does have a tendency to lead towards random rants and occasional mischief. Please do not take offense to my love for stealing and chopping body parts in a game. I'm sure the good Lord will damn me to hell for it.

MAGA.

Sir, my formatting IS terrible here, I say old chap. That's due to the fact that I'm not going to bother formatting on a forum after writing 4 MLA formatted papers a week for my B.S. in Cybersecurity. It does have a tendency to lead towards random rants and occasional mischief. Please do not take offense to my love for stealing and chopping body parts in a game. I'm sure the good Lord will damn me to hell for it.

MAGA.
I like to say: If you're unhappy with your job, find another. Less payment or a new area does not matter as long as you're happy with what you're doing. Losing hair or health for money is not a choice I would make. But enough life lessons. :D

"Please do not take offense to my love for stealing and chopping body parts in a game."
I play Rimworld. As long as you keep it as simple as making coats and hats of human leather and/or use dead, frozen raiders to feed your Wargs and Pigs, you can't offend me. :p

Game's a game. Getting salty about somebody taking something virtual from me is against my fanatic believes. Virtual goods in games are basically worthless to reality anyways and I stopped being able to understand how and why people can sink YEARS into a game, while "struggling" to survive IRL. I rather create something than waste my life playing. But that is a discussion for someplace else. :D

I just had to shake my head over this remark :/ will not touch this post again
If you're a female shard owner you should take many male hormones or buy a fake beard and wear it while you drink Pabst Blue Ribbon or Lonestar.

I am male, wear a ragged full beard but drink no beer. And especially no Pabst or Lonestar. We drink dark beer where I come from - but I just don't like the taste of beer nor the effects of alcohol. Alcohol is one of the worst drugs, I an I prefer da 'erb, tbh.

Trying to translate Docs words to mine: I think to be a shard owner several things are required which I seldomly find in females. Dominance and Consistency, for example. (For those bitchy feminists being offended by it: I am not saying women don't meet those requirements, it is - in my experience - just not as common.)

Back