Hello everyone. I wanted to stop by and let everyone here know that JoinUO has basically died. Kyn has relaunched everything as uoportal.com.

This comes following a long drawn out highjacking of the joinuo domain by Dante from UOEvolution. Since the domain was no longer under Kyn's control he felt it was best to go ahead and shut down that project and re-open the project as uoportal.

Some stuff that is in the works: Kyn and I are going to start building a database of scripts digging back through the old runuo forums as well as some content we have written. You guys have done a great job here but there are some differences between a runuo build and a servuo build (from what I can tell). Kyn is also partnering with UOGateWay to create a shard launcher. This will aid players in connecting to several different servers without having to have hundreds of different clients on their computer.

So please stop on by and drop us a line on our forums.

If this is the wrong forum for posting this I am sorry and we can move it to a more appropriate forum.

http://uoportal.com/

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the problems with Joinuo, thanks for informing us of this change :)
I'm guessing those server's who have been listed with Joinuo will continue on, just mostly a name change.

Yes, all of the servers that were listed were moved over and all of the shard owners were notified that then need to update their vote buttons. Over all it is a name change but it was necessary sadly.

Sorry to hear about the problems with Joinuo, thanks for informing us of this change :)
I'm guessing those server's who have been listed with Joinuo will continue on, just mostly a name change.

Thanks Milva, it was a hard decision to move away from such a popular domain - hopefully the community will find us again, we would really like to help provide a fair way for everyones shard to get some exposure. Whats the fun in creating something if you can't share it with anyone.. right?

Hope to see some ServUO members pop by!

Hmm, I received an email from joinuo.NET the other day, thought that was interesting.
Especially this bit at the bottom - Note: This project is not affiliated with the current owners of joinuo.com

So was the data "stolen" from one site and put on the .net one?
The following is an e-mail sent to you by an administrator of "JoinUO Forums". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following
address:

[email protected]

Include this full e-mail (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The most popular shard listing site has returned!

Come visit us at our new home http://www.joinuo.net

JoinUO used to be one of the most common search results for various Ultima related terms leading countless new players to the free shard community. We are committed to making sure that every former UO player that sets out looking for a new place to play will find their way to a server listed on JoinUO.net

Complete with
- 2008-2014 Shard Poling Data
- Era based listings
- No Advertising
- No Banner sales
- No Vote sales
- Extensive and detailed graphs on all server metrics
- Attentive support staff
- Support of open source development projects (Ultima SDK, RunUO Remote Admin, UO98 Project)

To be clear there will be ZERO advertising on JoinUO.net. No banner adds, no pop ups, no other servers advertised to your players while they vote.

We will also be working to further develop the JoinUO.net forums into an active community focused on classic shard development, research and assistance. Should you need help customizing your client, creating a packaged installer, scripting teleport rings, understanding how housing mechanics worked in 1999 or simply want to be able to access a public UO98 server to do research. While RunUO and other development communities have raced towards the newest updates the JoinUO community will be committed to preserving resources invaluable to developers looking to create their own classic experience.

Make sure to stop by and make a forum account and take part in the discussion. This will be a positive community free from any foreign drama focused on the betterment of the free shard development community as a whole.

http://www.joinuo.net/forums/

If you are a shard owner make sure to stop by and update/create your shard listing and grab the vote/status codes for your websites.

If you are an active UO player/enthusiast make sure to stop by and bookmark the new site for your shard discussion needs.

If you need assistance in getting your server listed feel free to contact JoinUO on the forums for immediate assistance.

We look forward to providing the Ultima Online community with a free and reliable resource for many years to come.

Best Regards
- The JoinUo.net Staff

Note: This project is not affiliated with the current owners of joinuo.com

--
Thanks, The Management

Hmm, I received an email from joinuo.NET the other day, thought that was interesting.
Especially this bit at the bottom - Note: This project is not affiliated with the current owners of joinuo.com

So was the data "stolen" from one site and put on the .net one?

It was leaked. Likely from the original owner of JoinUO or from the person in control of that domain now. I'm not that concerned with it because we developed all of our stuff in house - so it wont get leaked. Thus our poller is more advanced and our site has much more potential for new features in the future :)

Probably depends on the agreement that was made with the person who bought the domain and info, but it certainly could be. At the very least, its unethical.

I'm not really concerned about legalities surrounding the project, we've moved to our own domain, with our own software and have really no need to stir the pot with anyone else. I'd rather leave them to their own devices and focus on helping to create a useful tool we can all use to play a game we love.

That's my take on it anyhow.. Not much else to say. If you want to get the word out about your shard and in the near future have access to some pretty cool API features then UO Portal is for you. If you like what the others have to offer, use that stuff too. It's not about having total control over the UO community its about providing the best possible service and making sure UO stays alive.

Absolutely :)

Not that I am really anyone special, but that last comment pretty well solidified my thoughts on this matter. We will for sure help support you any way we can with an attitude like that :cool:

Hello - I joined UOPORTAL today - Looks nice and all - BUT, it says my shard is down at 97.92% uptime???? Its been up all day in fact its been up for months.

Why is it showing 97.92%.

Problem with your software? I dont want people thinkng we arent avaiable. I will see how the next few days go but will pull it if things stay the same.

The Joinuo.net site should be blacklisted here and everywhere else, imo.
Heck I'd like to see a warning put up too!

Dont know how exactly it does its uptime calculating or whatever, but it could be that even simple restarting of the shard for that brief 10 seconds may be a factor in uptime, if you do server restarts regularly. But again, I dont know how they figure uptime at all. Just something to consider.

I just remember back in the UO Gateway days, it was near impossible for even the most pure running shard to get a 100% uptime list.

Hello - I joined UOPORTAL today - Looks nice and all - BUT, it says my shard is down at 97.92% uptime???? Its been up all day in fact its been up for months.

Why is it showing 97.92%.

Problem with your software? I dont want people thinkng we arent avaiable. I will see how the next few days go but will pull it if things stay the same.

I can understand your concern here. However the best way to get a hold of me is via email: [email protected]

If you have issues that require swift action that is by far the best way to get the fastest response as I only check ServUO once or twice a day and that email goes directly to my phone. You can also create an account on the UO Portal forums. I'll gladly set your shard back to 100% and see what happens from there.

Dont know how exactly it does its uptime calculating or whatever, but it could be that even simple restarting of the shard for that brief 10 seconds may be a factor in uptime, if you do server restarts regularly. But again, I dont know how they figure uptime at all. Just something to consider.

I just remember back in the UO Gateway days, it was near impossible for even the most pure running shard to get a 100% uptime list.

As per the usual you are correct Dian, our polling system is updated every 5 minutes, this gives extremely accurate insight into a shards uptime. It is nearly impossible for any server to be up 100% of the time, most data centre's only claim 99% as unexpected downtime, server restarts and updates are a common occurrence. 97% is not bad and definitely would not deter me personally from playing on a shard. I hope I've been able to shed some light on the issue. :)

Back