zerodowned

I have a VPS setup and running my shard on it but a player that I banned is now DDoSing me [ he straight up admitted to it ]

Any advice on DDoS protection?
the host company I'm using only offers up to 20 GB a month and DDoS has already surpassed that in a few hours.

NFO server hosts usually offer DDoS protection included, that would be your best bet.

Check if your current host offers a DDoS protection upgrade, it shouldn't cost more than $5 a month.

they do offer it for $5 a month but it only covers 10 GB, and my bandwidth usage jumped up by about 20 GB in a few hours with the DDoS.
so unless I'm not misunderstanding how the DDoS protection worked, that 10 GB quickly be used up for the month

but thank you i'll look into NFO

That's pretty sick, but unless they are a hosting provider themselves launching attacks against you, it's gonna be costly for them. They won't be able to sustain it for too long, or might just get bored and leave you alone. At this point it's probably going to be down to who can outlast the other. If you had that player's IP since you know who it is, you can report them to the local authority and their ISP. What they are doing isn't exactly legal.

Pretty sick for some one to bother doing this! Hope you can get this figured out for sure :)

That's pretty sick, but unless they are a hosting provider themselves launching attacks against you, it's gonna be costly for them. They won't be able to sustain it for too long, or might just get bored and leave you alone. At this point it's probably going to be down to who can outlast the other. If you had that player's IP since you know who it is, you can report them to the local authority and their ISP. What they are doing isn't exactly legal.
i have two ips for the player, both confirm he's in south korea [ as he claimed ]
i don't think the south korean police would really care with Mr Dottard angering their upstairs neighbor

No point in trying to prevent it at the software level, it will still chew up bandwidth and hardware resources.

in my bucket list i have starting a public shard one day, so i have many times asked myself the same thing
brought up on the op. I wonder how difficult it would be to put a captcha or recaptcha to the login, if its
at all possible, and if it would work reasonably?

Back