Give a man a fish, feed him for a day kind of stuff here. I've been in and out of the RunUO and ServUO community for years and years and years now and have always struggled to really understand programming. My problem isn't that I can't learn, it's that my brain prefers to be taught. I am very naturally curious about all things and I absolutely love learning. Though, stick me in front of a book and I'm a hopeless mess.

The other real problem I end up having with these teach yourself programming books and online tutorials is that all of them ALWAYS assume you know SOMETHING about programming. Even if the book or website clearly states you don't need to know anything, somewhere they always end up making that assumption, and it usually happens quite early on.

The second problem with books/websites. They almost never work out the way they tell you they will, leaving me completely stumped without anyone to help guide me through progressing. I'll following every instruction or principle to the letter! And then bam. My code won't compile, and I have errors the book/website makes no mention of and voila. Road block. It just cripples my motivation.

I have a never ending drive to push UO to and beyond it's limitations. I grew up on the Ultima series, I loved Ultimas' Underworld I and II and I very much enjoyed Worlds of Ultima. My life revolves around this game and I'm so very tired of relying on others to create the things my imagination yearns for.

My promise to anyone who is willing to take the time to coach me the skills I need to do this is to give back to the community ten fold. I love teaching others what I have learned and I love seeing other people benefit from the things I've helped create.

Help me ServUO community, you're my only hope.

I am a beginner when it comes to C# and programming in general. However I love diving into things and hacking them up and eventually figuring out what does what. If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, or work through issues, two heads is sometimes better than one. I can be reached on multiple IM programs.

If you don't use either of those, let me know. I've got accounts with most all of them. Just not sure what people are using majority these days.

Maybe something like www.codecombat.com is right up your alley, Macil, play games and learn to code at the same time! (It's really fun) Practical learning might be more your style, I have the same issues with tutorials and books, they're ambiguous and often useless in the long run.

These videos are very easy to understand and each concept is taught in sequence. Some things are harder than others but the basics are well explained. I agree that some tutorials assume a certain amount of knowledge and make it harder to understand but you really just have to find the right tutorial for you. The best tutorials walk you through a programming concept by actually programming it and explaining it as they go along. These videos might help you with understanding...anyway, it's free and worth a shot. There are 100 of them...so plenty to learn. Good Luck!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAC325451207E3105

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day kind of stuff here. I've been in and out of the RunUO and ServUO community for years and years and years now and have always struggled to really understand programming. My problem isn't that I can't learn, it's that my brain prefers to be taught. I am very naturally curious about all things and I absolutely love learning. Though, stick me in front of a book and I'm a hopeless mess.

The other real problem I end up having with these teach yourself programming books and online tutorials is that all of them ALWAYS assume you know SOMETHING about programming. Even if the book or website clearly states you don't need to know anything, somewhere they always end up making that assumption, and it usually happens quite early on.

The second problem with books/websites. They almost never work out the way they tell you they will, leaving me completely stumped without anyone to help guide me through progressing. I'll following every instruction or principle to the letter! And then bam. My code won't compile, and I have errors the book/website makes no mention of and voila. Road block. It just cripples my motivation.

I have a never ending drive to push UO to and beyond it's limitations. I grew up on the Ultima series, I loved Ultimas' Underworld I and II and I very much enjoyed Worlds of Ultima. My life revolves around this game and I'm so very tired of relying on others to create the things my imagination yearns for.

My promise to anyone who is willing to take the time to coach me the skills I need to do this is to give back to the community ten fold. I love teaching others what I have learned and I love seeing other people benefit from the things I've helped create.

Help me ServUO community, you're my only hope.

I think your best bet, would be starting a server, and literally doing things like trying to build easy stuff first.
You see the script of how an item is created, like an artifact. So build another artifact completely custom. If you get lost, look at other scripts for ideas.

Now try to build a little boss battle, copy and paste and pull together lines of code from other places and see if you can get them to all work together in sync.

Now try editing some code to change the way u want to edit it to work. For instance, try to find maybe things like stat caps, skill caps, skillgain rates, etc.

I'm still not that great at coding, but after running my own server for a while and trying to fix every bug that came up over and over again, I've become VERY familiar with RUNUO in general, and after messing around with Custom Items, Mobiles, etc. You start to learn the terms, look what lines of code do, how to use it, etc.

It also helps if you've taken a beginning part of the c# courses where they explain things like classes, methods, loops, arrays, ints, strings, etc.

Once you get that down, then you can start beginning at learning the intermediate stuff, like building things from scratch, instead of piecing things together and editing them.

Then, the experience you'll gain from there will be from trying to code a bunch of stuff or improve a local server u have already.

I used to listen to c# tutorials while I was driving to work and back every day. Just hearing the words and what people were saying helped me remember the terms, and what they do.

Back