Major ServUO changes coming - Please take the time to review this.

Tasanar

Admin
ServUO Developer
Oct 16, 2014
trueuo.com
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
Donate money to this user
ServUO, moving forward, will no longer support “era” replication and expansions on our most current repository. We will also no longer support older clients and some of that legacy core code, supporting those clients, will be removed at some point.

Starting right away and during the next few months we will be going through and removing all unused systems, Ethics for example, and only the latest formulas for stuff like combat, spell damage, etc., will be present in the code. All the changes we make, at first, will still allow you to merge safely and retain your saves if you are currently up to date with ServUO and only using the latest content. Later, we may clean up some of the older unused Emus and outdated Serialization/Deserialization methods. If we do this, we will work with Vorspire to come up with a way to hopefully fully import existing saves or accounts/items (Will probably still require some work on your end).

We will publish one last Release which will be a copy of ServUO in its current state. We will also create a separate branch for that Release. While people can still send PRs for the separate branch, Dexter, Argalep, and I will no longer maintain it. Our focus will be elsewhere. Anyone out there can pick up that community torch and carry it on if they wish. We will still review and approve PRs for that branch if they are done correctly.

Again, anyone out there can continue to maintain one of the ServUO releases and merge our changes if they want to continue using newer code and systems on older eras.

This decision was made by Dexter, Argalep, and myself with approval from DMurphy and Vorspire. It mostly comes down to time, resources, and the direction we want to take this emulator. 24 years and what feels like a hundred expansions later, it has become a bit much.

EDIT [Dexter]: ServUO publish 75 has been created. This will be the last publish that will support eras. As of 3/24/2020, it is 98.7% in line with EA regarding content. For projects that want to target a specific era, I suggest you start with Publish 75.

Milva

Admin
Mar 3, 2013
Donate
Thank You for all the developers who help to maintain and progress with ServUO :) I'm sure a few will want to protest -change can be good for most and not so good for others for a while any ways.

Reactions: Tasanar

LordDP

Citizen
May 9, 2017
I like the idea, get rid of the bloat, improve the performance and focus on the latest release and not how x affects era y : )

Tasanar

Admin
ServUO Developer
Oct 16, 2014
trueuo.com
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
Thank You for all the developers who help to maintain and progress with ServUO :) I'm sure a few will want to protest -change can be good for most and not so good for others for a while any ways.
For sure and we do understand. That is why we are keeping a release in its current state too. Anyone out there is more than welcome to contribute to that branch if they want to focus on specific eras.

Falkor

Squire
Apr 11, 2018
wpshard.com
Shard Name
Whispering Pines
I suppose a decision had to be made. You can't keep chasing the moving target that is the live server if you're dragging the legacy game along with you. EA doesn't have baggage like that holding them back.

Luckily people (like me) who have picked a point to emulate can keep what we have and hone it while others who want the closest experience to the current live servers can continue the quest for the latest content. I'm not a fan of many of their changes from the last year or so anyway, so I knew when to jump off the bandwagon and start building a shard around the code at that point and no longer worry about updates / additions. I keep an eye on bugfixes of course, and even that will mostly go away after the fork.

Tasanar

Admin
ServUO Developer
Oct 16, 2014
trueuo.com
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
I suppose a decision had to be made. You can't keep chasing the moving target that is the live server if you're dragging the legacy game along with you. EA doesn't have baggage like that holding them back.

Luckily people (like me) who have picked a point to emulate can keep what we have and hone it while others who want the closest experience to the current live servers can continue the quest for the latest content. I'm not a fan of many of their changes from the last year or so anyway, so I knew when to jump off the bandwagon and start building a shard around the code at that point and no longer worry about updates/additions. I keep an eye on bugfixes of course, and even that will mostly go away after the fork.
Yes, exactly.

If you are using ServUO right now and running T2A BUT trying to stay updated, you have a bunch of background bloat that makes little sense to keep.

If you are using ServUO right now and running EJ, you have a bunch of background bloat that makes little sense to keep.

We are just picking the path that makes sense for us. Any systems we add, that someone may like for their shard, will just need to be added in by that individual.

Dexter_Lexia

Admin
ServUO Developer
Jul 3, 2014
USA
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
I think it would be neat if other users wanted to create era specific branches, others could fork for their own use.

JGreen

Squire
Jul 16, 2019
I just wander how any shards world saves these will destroy, or is there a plan in place?

Tasanar

Admin
ServUO Developer
Oct 16, 2014
trueuo.com
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
I just wander how any shards world saves these will destroy, or is there a plan in place?
The plan is you can continue using the older repository OR if you are using the current ServUO code, then none. All of the "changes" right now are getting bounced off of my Heritage TC, with 5 year old saves, to ensure it does not want to delete anything.

Later on, we may try to clean up some of the Emus and Serliazation / Deserliaztion. No longer are we going to simply stare at that mess. At that time we will do as much as we can, and ANYTHING can be added or removed, it might just require server owners to spend some time upgrading things by hand and learning how to do some things on their own.

JGreen

Squire
Jul 16, 2019
So to name a lot of systems that should be removed no longer being used on OSI

Factions
Old Guild System
Old BOD system
Lot of NPCs that is no longer used
Lot of Items Not needed
I think the Ultima folder is a waste of time only couple lines of code is using it and its been in the Servuo repo since day 1.

Somethings I think should be recoded if servuo plans on moving forward The staff orb that comes with servuo i think there needs to be a better way to handle that then having a item ingame on staff.

I dont mind the change my shard customs have all been changed to run on there own and not have edits towards servuo. so its easy drop in systems and less work.

Dexter_Lexia

Admin
ServUO Developer
Jul 3, 2014
USA
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
Serialization/Deserialization for classes that will remain shouldn't be effected. Some of the systems being gutted, such as the old faction system, you may get a prompt to delete the persistence item used to save the faction data.

Is there a way, when this project is complete, to know how many files/lines of code are removed? I'm curious.

Grimoric

Squire
Mar 21, 2015
Well as for RunUO v2.3 (r1083) and the convert to pure T2A code. It went from 12.7 MB down to 8.3 MB so it does speed things up a lot. You will see something similar then removing all older expansions and related systems. Especial then code and data get removed that handles extra fields that are never used. This speeds up loading and saving time a lot.

As for Serialization/Deserialization for classes, a converter for the final release that transfers the saved into the new version would be possible. This step could reset the version handler back to version 0 of all objects. I didn't write a converter for RunUO.T2A but I did reset objects then I updated them. (Removed fire, frost and so on)

-Grim

Last edited:

Ozzer2016

Rookie
Jul 2, 2016
Cant beat a fully Customized server over the original OSI server, I stopped play OSI was bored. If I wanted to play OSI I would play OSI (£10 a month) but I really like finding new things, monsters, mounts, building's ect. EA games can keep their version :)

JGreen

Squire
Jul 16, 2019
Just thoughts, why not just strip Servuo down to bare bones just server folder and start from there. Make all UO Expansions drop in.

Some more thoughts when removing all that stuff maybe it should be removed and documented and posted in the custom script for people to beable to add it back in them selfs. maybe some one some where can just make all these extra systems drop in features.

I mean if you really want to take ServUo to the next level and be something more.

I can tell you @Fraz has said that for years about runuo or servuo emulator that it needs stripped down and just make all expansion drop in. He was right about all that.

It makes more since because even if you want to keep up with current OSI shards you are just wasting alot of time. tearing a emulator that is packed full of bugs and legacy code apart. But just my two cents and thoughts.

Reactions: Ozzer2016

Tasanar

Admin
ServUO Developer
Oct 16, 2014
trueuo.com
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
Just thoughts, why not just strip Servuo down to bare bones just server folder and start from there. Make all UO Expansions drop in.

Some more thoughts when removing all that stuff maybe it should be removed and documented and posted in the custom script for people to beable to add it back in them selfs. maybe some one some where can just make all these extra systems drop in features.

I mean if you really want to take ServUo to the next level and be something more.

I can tell you @Fraz has said that for years about runuo or servuo emulator that it needs stripped down and just make all expansion drop in. He was right about all that.

It makes more since because even if you want to keep up with current OSI shards you are just wasting alot of time. tearing a emulator that is packed full of bugs and legacy code apart. But just my two cents and thoughts.
Anyone in the community can take on the monumental task of documenting and creating custom packages. ServUO development is basically just Dexter, Argalep, and I right now. It is a volunteer, community project. WE (Dexter,Argalep,Tasanar) will not be doing that. You can take your own project in any direction you like and look forward to seeing what you do!

Reactions: Exale

Shard Owner
Jun 13, 2014
www.ultima-shards.com
Shard Name
Ultima Shards
Donate
Just to be a little frank here... 90% of the people using ServUO is likely using it for legacy server purposes... The entire freeshard community was built out of the general distaste for the direction OSI was taking things.

I understand that for "ease of development and your own volunteer time" , it would make sense to break things down and make it easier to maintain. But imho, legacy servers should be the focus of that, not 100% accuracy to OSI current.

That seems like literally the opposite of what freeshard community was created for. But understandably, maybe some of the people leading servuo's dev team now are actually people who are replicating current gen shards.

Reactions: JGreen

Falkor

Squire
Apr 11, 2018
wpshard.com
Shard Name
Whispering Pines
On the other hand, isn't it safe to say that emulation of the early eras is pretty much perfected now? Existing code will run that type of shard out of the box and all that's left is to customize it to fit your exact desired game play experience.

That's why I decided to pick a point and say "no more" for my shard that's under development. I want to focus on bug fixes and feature updates for the era around ToL and be done with it. I'd rather work on making that version as solid and complete as I can, while including my customs, knowing that my work won't be undone by future changes to ServUO required to keep following the live game.