Major ServUO changes coming - Please take the time to review this.

gametec

Diamond Donator
Feb 5, 2014
Shard Name
Untitled
I am waving to everyone as I move on for the final time. I have deleted everything UO related to ensure my addiction doesn’t get the best of me and I wind up back into this. I wish everyone the best, I gave my two cents, and a few nonsensical things before I go:

Whichever direction ServUO moves remember that you all have this hobby in common. That means that you are all working to achieve similar goals. This isn’t a rat race, or a competition, so help one another with coding issues...

Share scripts with each other and stop being greedy and stingy on the code. This is a 22/23 year old game, you won’t be getting rich off it. So for the love of whatever you believe in, stop with the pay to play nonsense; especially in today’s economy;

You never know who is behind the screen, it could be a multi-millionaire who may want to hire you one day to complete a project for them. So be polite and stop the stupid flame wars that pop up every so often. Yes there are elitists among you, so ignore them. Their servers probably aren’t that much different from yours anyway; just be nice.

Finally remember that most of us started this hobby not knowing anything about coding. If you want the community to survive then you will need to foster a relationship and teach new hobbyists. This will grow the number of developers that the community will have in the coming years. If you don’t foster those relationships, then people will get frustrated and leave the community and ServUO will go by way of RunUO eventually.

Good Luck Everyone!
- gametec

Juzzver

Squire
Sep 17, 2013
Shard Name
Mythic World / Heavens Gate / Inceptum / NovaUO / Utopia / UOBG
I have only one question ... Why?
While the OSI servers lose their relevance, as the ultima turns into some kind of spaceship with dinosaurs on board, you decide to chop off the most popular eras. And without any weighty arguments.
Of course, this is your child and you have the right to do what you want ... But it is extremely unclear to me what you are guided by in the person of the project administrator.

If you are interesting my opinion, then I can predict how it will end:
  • The next three months will be spent in vain, because nothing will be done for the community, since you will be engaged in useless work, namely, cutting out code for working with classical eras.
  • Along with these changes, a number of new bugs and problems will appear that will require careful debugging and testing.
  • The subsequent community resources, which will be laid out here by users, will be much less in demand, since they will lose their compatibility with scripts for over > 75 publishes of servuo. This will give rise to even more topics related to using and setting up seemingly already ready-made scripts.

For what are you willing to spend so much time and labor for and what are you guided by when making such tough and unpromising decisions?

This will not affect performance in any way, because the old code has long been debugged and most of the flaws in it have been fixed. In memory you win just a trifle. This is compared to just rewriting the Imbuing system, and the memory savings would be equivalent.

I recommend that you carefully consider this decision and those moments where it all will lead. And also whether the community needs it or not. You can even hold a special vote on forum/website to be sure for sure.

If you spend 3 months optimizing and refactoring the existing servuo code, believe me - you will save a hundred times more resources than the original idea :)

Reactions: Beginer and JGreen

Dexter_Lexia

Admin
ServUO Developer
Jul 3, 2014
USA
Shard Name
Heritage
Donate
Donate money to this user
A big part of "why" is due to the lack of support the other eras got. While some developers kept eras in mind, proper era checks were not required when considering Pull Request merges. Years back, I wrote tons of EA systems with no era checks. Lately, I got much better and mindful at including them. So, due to lack of support, and the fact that the era checks are highly inaccurate, we decided to do this for the ease of future updates. As explained, feel free to push a branch that is era specific. I would love for others to take on a project of having a branch for each era that is updated with the ServUO master.

Daxx

Citizen
Jul 4, 2017
Makes total sense to me. If you are running an Era Replicating shard then none of the new stuff is relevant anyway.

If you think it is, you're not running an Era Replicating shard.

JGreen

Squire
Jul 16, 2019
I have not said anything. But @Daxx no one just runs a shard based on one era,, okay lie some might any way what i think some poeple are getting at, they like to runa t2a shard with HS features ect.

What servuo did was to either benefit one shard or was there choice.. There was no poll taken or anything to ask the community what there thoughts was. I am not here to step on toes. its there choice what they do with servuo as they are the ones that are updating it.

But they did give the blessing for some one to take over Servuo pub 57 to keep it supporting for other shards. I have seen some new repos pop up with pub57 under new names but with the latest updates for UO added. So there is now more options for people then just servuo. will it have servuo dev support sure. because it seems they are keeping up with the latest fixes on those repos from servuo repos. so it works out.

So what i can best say is you can have you cake and eat it too. If you want Newest UO. you use servuo, if you want more older support and flexible custom stuff you use other repos people have begin to make with pub57.

TheArt

Rookie
Oct 21, 2018
Shard Name
Planes of Etria
I am waving to everyone as I move on for the final time. I have deleted everything UO related to ensure my addiction doesn’t get the best of me and I wind up back into this. I wish everyone the best, I gave my two cents, and a few nonsensical things before I go:

Whichever direction ServUO moves remember that you all have this hobby in common. That means that you are all working to achieve similar goals. This isn’t a rat race, or a competition, so help one another with coding issues...

Share scripts with each other and stop being greedy and stingy on the code. This is a 22/23 year old game, you won’t be getting rich off it. So for the love of whatever you believe in, stop with the pay to play nonsense; especially in today’s economy;

You never know who is behind the screen, it could be a multi-millionaire who may want to hire you one day to complete a project for them. So be polite and stop the stupid flame wars that pop up every so often. Yes there are elitists among you, so ignore them. Their servers probably aren’t that much different from yours anyway; just be nice.

Finally remember that most of us started this hobby not knowing anything about coding. If you want the community to survive then you will need to foster a relationship and teach new hobbyists. This will grow the number of developers that the community will have in the coming years. If you don’t foster those relationships, then people will get frustrated and leave the community and ServUO will go by way of RunUO eventually.

Good Luck Everyone!
- gametec
Thank you gametec for understanding exactly the thing I find frustrating with most private 'free to play' servers It's why I made a promise when I set out to make a UO server.

I don't want 'Pay to Win' or 'Pay to play'. Everything I've put up on my server, regardless of allowing players to donate, are things you can earn. Yes, even our donation currency, you can earn on my server. I did not, and never will, want someone to pay to win on shard.

Reactions: Ozzer2016

TheArt

Rookie
Oct 21, 2018
Shard Name
Planes of Etria
Good... please tell how convert multi.mul and multi.idx to MultiCollection.uop. I try legacyconvector and essenceUDK without results.
Convector work but deploy and client crash.
PLEASE HELP.
There's no working converter right now unfortunately.

TheArt

Rookie
Oct 21, 2018
Shard Name
Planes of Etria
How did you get that from this thread?
Oh, I can understand how he got that from this thread.

Most shard owners are trying to recapture a time before current era. There's a reason why we emulate. Because the OSI version of UO doesn't usually have what we want and can get from a private shard in some form or fashion. The fact that they are now going current is probably going to end up with ServUO failing. I hope it doesn't, but with the fact that I am running a version of UO that is pre-current, it means anything I do from now on will not be supported. And, for a lot of shard owners, anything they do will no longer be supported by the master version of servuo.

And don't get me wrong, again, I understand WHY they are doing it, but I also understand that eventually, with this change, they're going to burn themselves and we can only hope it's a very very very slow burn.

Zavreyon

Squire
Apr 5, 2015
Oh, I can understand how he got that from this thread.

Most shard owners are trying to recapture a time before current era. There's a reason why we emulate. Because the OSI version of UO doesn't usually have what we want and can get from a private shard in some form or fashion. The fact that they are now going current is probably going to end up with ServUO failing.
But that's the exact opposite. RunUO developers had little desire to support newer content but still kept trying to support all expansions. I would imagine it's easier to get burnt out trying to focus on supporting multiple things, some of which do not interest you, than having a singular focus that does.

Reactions: Milva

TheArt

Rookie
Oct 21, 2018
Shard Name
Planes of Etria
But that's the exact opposite. RunUO developers had little desire to support newer content but still kept trying to support all expansions. I would imagine it's easier to get burnt out trying to focus on supporting multiple things, some of which do not interest you, than having a singular focus that does.
Look, Regardless of what you do someone isn't going to be happy. This, people aren't going to be happy because "I want my x,y, or z. Yes, it's the complete opposite but realistically it's not. RunUO tried to keep support for the old. ServUO is now only supporting the New stuff. Regardless of if it's opposite of what each excelled in supporting it is still picking one time period to emulate over another and it is still cutting a portion of people out who want to emulate UO. RunUO isolated newer players who wanted to run it. ServUO will isolate older players who want to run it. Even if the community here will support each other, the overall program isn't going to support and older generation of the game. The only difference really between what RunUO did and what ServUO is doing is which time period they are stopping at.

Last edited:

Milva

Admin
Mar 3, 2013
Donate
Our developer's do all this out of their free time, they also work and have families- Runuo also did get to the point in the past were Ryan stated they wouldn't keep up with any new releases. Developers don't have the time to just sit and put everything into this game which some would like to see, it has always been OSI to follow.
I will also quote this again! Any one can send- With every update to Ultimate Online, the developers have to work on also- this isn't just a fly by night thing.
We will publish one last Release which will be a copy of ServUO in its current state. We will also create a separate branch for that Release. While people can still send PRs for the separate branch, Dexter, Argalep, and I will no longer maintain it. Our focus will be elsewhere. Anyone out there can pick up that community torch and carry it on if they wish. We will still review and approve PRs for that branch if they are done correctly.

Again, anyone out there can continue to maintain one of the ServUO releases and merge our changes if they want to continue using newer code and systems on older eras.

Zavreyon

Squire
Apr 5, 2015
The only difference really between what RunUO did and what ServUO is doing is which time period they are stopping at.
No the difference is ServUO is actually defining a target and sticking to it. RunUO was pretty vague and by the time any definitive answer was made, the burnout had already started.

But You seem to have mistaken my post as an agreement with the decision itself (it's not), and not the intended disagreement with the idea of ServUO failing that was suggested by John. If the interest is there for the modern features, ServUO itself will succeed in this decision. Whether or not it benefits you, or even me has no bearing on the success of the project. It's simply taking a different road than we would like.

And there are certainly options for older featuresets, Grimoric has RunUO.T2A. There was also a Pub15 fork of ServUO. While both have not been updated in some time, they are certainly good starting points.

Last edited:

TheArt

Rookie
Oct 21, 2018
Shard Name
Planes of Etria
@Zavreyon I am sorry for misinterpreting what you said. I tried to find what John had posted and it seems his post was removed and I'm sorry for any ill will I might have had. Yes, I did think you were agreeing with the overall decision of not supporting though with the reminder from @Milva I have to say it's not going to be all bad when ServUO has community members that are willing to support the older things. And, there is a fork for Pub 57 right now, and I'm currently making a branch that is a Pub 57 clone from March.

--

And I found his post once more!

@john burns No, I don't think ServUO is going to be seeing the same fate so long as the community members work together to make sure any forks of the project keep knitted together.

Falkor

Squire
Apr 11, 2018
wpshard.com
Shard Name
Whispering Pines
Just to play devil's advocate, what kind of advances are people expecting for the old content? It's been done and works. Theoretically you should never need updates to the server code except for customizations you want to make.

There should be a clearly labeled link to download the last ServUO zip before the "great pruning" began so people who want to emulate past eras can use that one.

It is already difficult to keep up with bug fixes. For the server I'm developing I want to keep much of the ToL elements but recent fixes have proven harder to merge since my code is already six whole months old! I'm not interested in keeping up with the live server anymore so I'm not going to ditch everything and start over yet again. My code will be from the Twilight Zone -- not old enough to be virtually bug-free and not new enough that I can quickly merge bugfixes as they're released. Yay!

Reactions: Asteria and TheArt

TheArt

Rookie
Oct 21, 2018
Shard Name
Planes of Etria
Just to play devil's advocate, what kind of advances are people expecting for the old content? It's been done and works. Theoretically you should never need updates to the server code except for customizations you want to make.

There should be a clearly labeled link to download the last ServUO zip before the "great pruning" began so people who want to emulate past eras can use that one.

It is already difficult to keep up with bug fixes. For the server I'm developing I want to keep much of the ToL elements but recent fixes have proven harder to merge since my code is already six whole months old! I'm not interested in keeping up with the live server anymore so I'm not going to ditch everything and start over yet again. My code will be from the Twilight Zone -- not old enough to be virtually bug-free and not new enough that I can quickly merge bugfixes as they're released. Yay!
I'm sitting in a similar boat ^-^;; Our clone is from January and I have to iron out some of the bugs manually myself, and cannot go further myself. :p

Asteria

Rookie
Sep 4, 2018
legendsofsosaria.wixsite.com
Shard Name
Legends of Sosaria
Donate

We are in the same boat over here. Stopped updating to latest ServUO last year, because ultimately, forming your own path with it is in my opinion, much more rewarding. And I feel a lot of people will succeed with doing so, pick the era you want to be in, develop your shard to your own image.

I for one really appreciate having ServUO develop this amazing emulator for us, and anything they can do to make the burden of what they do easier on themselves is great.And 100% agree with you there Falkor, anyone who is running on an older era shouldn't be updating unless they're not staying era specific anyways. It's everyone wanting hybrid blend servers that is the issue, we have done it ourselves. But ultimately I don't have expectations for the ServUO devs to fix things in my server for me, I appreciate any bugs/issues we get communicated to us that are major game breaking things (such as big exploits) and try to do the same for the community because it's the good thing to do. And because of the strong community servUO has I highly doubt the other forks of the project will die off, people will post their own repos for others to use, it's just evolving into something different we all need to roll with the times :) Just my 2 cents though ;) Thanks ServUO devs for all your hard work. I know how much time we have poured into our own project, so I can only imagine the amount of time and effort you have all put into this and continue to do. It certainly doesn't go unnoticed

Reactions: TheArt

sircapted

Rookie
Mar 19, 2018
SERVUO 57.1 IS SMOOTH...
finally had time and got it running..

to me items are more important than era.....