Master Branch Protection

Equinox

Apr 7, 2016
Istanbul, Turkey
www.quingis.com
Shard Name
Quingis UO
I'm resending my old post with some edit, it was trimmed. I've added something, removed something.

@Vorspire , god help ServUO fans then.

I wasn't critique persons with name and what they've done or not or mistaken. Nobody is perfect. Not me nor Argalep nor Dexter nor you. You had a chance in anytime before this system for months to warn him or suggest a PR comment format via PM, you didn't. He was trying to contribute something didn't done by others. Maybe he did mistakes as anybody can. But it's better to make mistakes and correcting it rather than doing nothing.

If there was a project management you knew who did what, why and when. We can see who did what and when approximately, thanks to the GitHub.
https://github.com/ServUO/ServUO/graphs/contributors
Tip: You can select a range to limit on the timeline at the top.

You can be an admin but you have no right to say "If these changes in the way thing are going to be done are unacceptable to you, then I do not know what to say other than, tough. If you feel you must be discouraged by this, then move on.". You don't own this community, project, codes whatever, you are just part of it.

Argalep doesn't care about being in the ServUO organization or not. He just want to give something back to where he get something.

Quality over quantity, exactly... You and other officials are free to contribute with top quality to being good examples in anytime...

@Tasanar , as I remember you were suggesting to apply the fix as is before review :)
I'm saying again and again. I'm not against any effort in the name of doing things right and/or better. It includes this wall of protection. It's not a good practice to say that "We've changed the rules, obey". You need to show to the people by good examples. I was suggested some thoughts many months ago. Whatever.

Anybody (including officials), if you have time and experience, please help to active developers. Cheers...

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
If you are looking for guidelines on how to create a good pull request please see the above link to the documentation I just added @Equinox

Vorspire

Vita-Nex: Core
Admin
ServUO Developer
Jul 29, 2013
United Kingdom
core.vita-nex.com
Shard Name
Ultima Shards: Multiverse
Donate
Donate money to this user
I'm resending my old post with some edit, it was trimmed. I've added something, removed something.

I'm saying again and again. I'm not against any effort in the name of doing things right and/or better. It includes this wall of protection. It's not a good practice to say that "We've changed the rules, obey". You need to show to the people by good examples. I was suggested some thoughts many months ago. Whatever.

Anybody (including officials), if you have time and experience, please help to active developers. Cheers...
I didn't at any point say "obey". You are putting words in my mouth.

No, I don't own this project, but you should understand that I have been here since day one when it was founded under its original name WalkUO... and for someone with 11 months in the community to come by and tell me or the admins how to operate the project based on your own ideaology is extremely insulting, especially when you're spouting "project management 101" guidelines that we have already been acustomed to for the best part of 10 to 15 years.

Are you Argalep? No? Then please do not speak on his behalf or put words in his mouth.
If he had no interest in joining the organisation or a team, then he wouldn't have already accepted the invite.

I would appreciate it if you would abstain from back seat administration.

Equinox

Apr 7, 2016
Istanbul, Turkey
www.quingis.com
Shard Name
Quingis UO
@dmurphy , It's a good start, I think it should be better if supported with document about coding standards for ServUO. Then SonarQube can be used to check code quality, compliance with coding standards.

Maybe someday we can use Jenkins for automated continuous integration, who knows :)

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
@dmurphy , It's a good start, I think it should be better if supported with document about coding standards for ServUO. Then SonarQube can be used to check code quality, compliance with coding standards.

Maybe someday we can use Jenkins for automated continuous integration, who knows :)
Coding standards is a big thing to implement. It will require a big effort from the entire team and community. It's something we can look into for sure though.

Equinox

Apr 7, 2016
Istanbul, Turkey
www.quingis.com
Shard Name
Quingis UO
@Vorspire , last paragraph wasn't a reply to you. I've used it to express behavior of general IT/Tech groups, and how it's responded from community/customers etc.

You've started project management and "new and inexperienced" thing, I've just replied it.

No I'm not Argalep, but I know his thoughts. He's my friend. Why you are so angry? I just said that he will contribute even if in ServUO organization or not. Because he want it and happy to do it.

I would appreciate it if you calm down and keep on topic.

Crome969

Jan 9, 2014
Germany
www.RebirthUO.com
Shard Name
RebirthUO
Donate
I think we need to calm down a bit.
@Equinox i understand your view but siding here clearly with @Vorspire . ServUO and its community is filled with a lot of individuals with different kind of view, skills, time or motivations. I´m not a day 1 user like vorspire but iam following this development since the early stages. First as visitor, later as contributor (i have seen iam #17 on the graph?!?). I were now absent for almost 8 months and it feels again like servuo headed a few thousands patch ahead. There are so many features and new things i still have to discover and review.

I´m currently in a process of merging my server (live server for over 2 years with servuo, then justuo and now again servuo core) and that much of changes i discover, there are also tons of things which are marked on my side as bug on servuo but i hadnt time to contribute.

I also work on 3 layers for my code contribution. I have a clone on Git where i download patchs from servuo. Those get downloaded to my Testserver where i test and review the changes (and also migrate with my code). Then i push it and download it with the live server. The process has been designed in order to review and test changes from both sides before it goes live. The past teached me, that multiple layers and a proper reviewing and documentation supports the quality of project, but it costs a lot of time. I prefer Quality over Quantity, because it supports the project on long term and helps not to forget the small details we are still missing. And in order to proper review any change, we need people with the knowlegde and wisdom, willed to sacrifice their freetime for the project.

Maybe instead of discussing why we cant increase release speed, we should all review our PR more carefully. Did we really fix the issue? Does the PR cover all aspects? Or do we open a new hole with more issues? Is our code proper documentated? And how can we make it more easy to the reviewing member to submit our PR?

Lemme finish this merging then i can also contribute a few fixes :cool::D

Reactions: Milva and m309

psychoman78

Sep 7, 2015
Shard Name
Dragon's Legacy UO
Donate
Well before ya'll sit down and start getting angry or questioning the motives of the staff of servuo on why there going this way why not take a look and see that there's still 602 issues sitting in GitHub for the code, adding more content all the time is just adding to that and nothing is actually getting fixed.

Sure a few things here and there is getting fixed but not the older things why not step back a little slow down on the amount of pulls being sent to everyone without knowing whether or not it fixes things or if it will just break other things like it has been happening over the past few months.

I agree with making sure the codes not going to cause more issues... and am really happy so see that things are going to be reviewed a little better before the PR's are pushed to the repo...

Thanks to all those that work hard at trying to make things more stable and more bug-free.

Reactions: Milva

ryth

Mar 28, 2016
+1 For QA and Organization. This is a great step forward, and as someone mentioned above, coding standards would be another great addition.

Dexter_Lexia

ServUO Developer
Jul 3, 2014
Shard Name
Alexandria
Donate
Well before ya'll sit down and start getting angry or questioning the motives of the staff of servuo on why there going this way why not take a look and see that there's still 602 issues sitting in GitHub for the code, adding more content all the time is just adding to that and nothing is actually getting fixed.
I couldn't disagree with you more. While I agree with the change in the way PR's are handled, I also think that bugs are being fixed, as stated here and here. These are just bugs from December, and the lists probably has missed some, including all of February. I have added most of these systems, and while I spend 10x more time debugging than I do writing/copying from EA, it is impossible to find all bugs without a large player base. For my systems, I feel like I have fixed bugs, as they come up, as fast as you can. The 602 issues in githug is terribly misleading, as they are rarely cleared from there as it has to be manually done. If you look at the bugs forums, you'll notice its down to 3 pages, and was 8+ pages a few months ago.

Ravenwolfe

ServUO Developer
Sep 7, 2013
Texas
www.ultimaonlinephoenix.com
Shard Name
UO Phoenix
The problem is that 603 includes ANY bug that gets reported - founded, unfounded, fixed, etc. It does not clear unless it is done manually. I would say well over half of those 603 issues are not even bugs. I'll try to narrow them when I can.

Dexter_Lexia

ServUO Developer
Jul 3, 2014
Shard Name
Alexandria
Donate
Haha, yea, I tried a while back, but its alot to fix them, clear them in the forums, and then in github. Thank you sir.

Equinox

Apr 7, 2016
Istanbul, Turkey
www.quingis.com
Shard Name
Quingis UO
@Crome969 I'm not against PR reviews or any effort to advance planning/organization/quality. I'm just telling officials should be more active, they need to lead by example to other contributors via fixing issues/adding content in right way if they have time end experience. To convince them to help Dexter and speed up to bug fix and update process. That's it. Some officials took it personally then World War III started in ServUO forums. I don't understand why you guys get it differently like I'm against code reviews. I've suggested some thoughts six months ago including contribution coordination by Dexter (similar to code reviews actually), multi branch Git organization, advancing the project management, more research and test before adding new content etc. to increase quality but it unaccepted/not adopted. You can see conversations in here: https://www.servuo.com/threads/missing-masteries.5217/#post-33918

@psychoman78 There is no active 602 issues, they are just not synchronized. You should control from Bug Reports thread https://www.servuo.com/forum/bug-reports.15/.

Code reviews will provide compliance with existing ServUO infrastructure and may include some development suggestions but it will not reduce bugs much. Why? Because many of bugs related with different/wrong realization of in game features or missing in game systems due to insufficient research and analyze on OSI servers and/or resources on internet, lack of testing before publish. No offence. Old or new doesn't matter. Reviews may help but not cover this entirely I think. Currently testers does this job. Was ServUO perfect before new content? Nope, there are bugs waiting for testers, they are just undetected and not reported yet. Does it means ServUO perfected if there is no bug reports left in the current queue? Nope. It's a lifetime process.

Last edited:

techy

Mar 22, 2016
I'm really glad to see these changes have been made. I haven't started actively contributing yet but I've followed for a while.

I just submitted my first PR on this repo. And unfortunately it's one that raises some questions.

There has been a compilation bug in master for 3 days it's nearly 20 commits from head. How have so many PRs been accepted without latest code being downloaded and the a server compiled to make sure the code at least still compiles?

Dexter_Lexia

ServUO Developer
Jul 3, 2014
Shard Name
Alexandria
Donate
Really, 3 days? That PR that caused the compile error was merged a couple hours ago. I have been downloading and testing the bigger ones but for the smaller like the one in question, if they look good it's merged. It's a small oversight on my part.

GriffonSpade

Oct 21, 2016
github.com
Shard Name
N/A
Really, 3 days? That PR that caused the compile error was merged a couple hours ago. I have been downloading and testing the bigger ones but for the smaller like the one in question, if they look good it's merged. It's a small oversight on my part.
Well, THAT'S embarrassing.:oops: It had to have happened within the few seconds between my final test and commit.
[doublepost=1490681934][/doublepost]/facepalm. I figured it out. It came from when I was typing out the commit description. At some point during it, I must have had the cursor in the code section instead of the comment section.

Last edited: