ServUO Version
Publish 58
Ultima Expansion
The Second Age
Hi,

I'm planning to set up a "classic" era UO server with empathis on PvP and such. It allows more than one char (unlike Siege) but I will try to keep unfair advantages to a minimum.

Therefore the question: what does ServUO provides to enforce such rules. I'm specifically looking into:

- macroing skills up
- gathering resources
- multibox chars

Is it possible to log suspicious player actions within the server without controlling it 24/7?

Hi! Of course, you are not limited in logging any actions, but you will have to lay this functionality yourself. Servers out of the box do not take into account a number of possible vulnerabilities that players can abuse, but mostly exclude critical bugs. But in the case of custom scripts or writing your own scripts without having programming skills, you remain more vulnerable.
The best solution for finding problems is logging. Without which, in some cases, it is completely impossible to establish the origin of the problem. Also, players can try to mislead you, for example, at the moment when your server crashed - players can claim that they have obtained the rarest artifact in the game at that moment and demand compensation, under the threat of leaving the game with everyone with your friends. Don't underestimate the talent of the players, who can be quite convincing despite your experience.
In situations like this, you still have the opportunity to try to establish the truth by using server backups and checking dozens of saves to roughly determine what the players were doing, wasting a lot of your time. But you will never be 100% sure, or take a word for it, because the players could really fight the most difficult boss at that moment, but in reality die there, and after the crash, take advantage of the moment and declare that the artifact was lost through your fault.
There are also just a lot of controversial points, due to the banal inattention of the players.
And only in this case, logging will help prove the truth.

But with all this, there is a problem with checking these logs.
On my servers, I used email notification in case of any critical errors or bugs on the server. For example, if the server crashed or somehow an unrealistic number of items / gold was created on the server, etc. I also sent all GM Pages to the mail in order to quickly resolve player problems or complaints about certain actions that occur in my absence.

I have an example of what it looked like:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back