Ravenwolfe

This is only meant as a temporary solution!

Currently some of the developers are missing in action and I do not have access to the ServUO repo for the purposes of pull requests or releases. However, I do not want the momentum of the project to die out while we wait for the leaders to return. So, I'm going to start updating my repo with bug fixes and such with the intention of rolling the changes into the main ServUO repo when a repo admin returns.

Therefore, I ask that anyone who has a bug fix or pull request designed for ServUO to send a pull request to my repo @ https://github.com/Ravenwolfe/ServUO and I will get them rolled in. This includes the current pull requests from Hank, CeJayce, and Goober.

I hope everyone will recognize this as an attempt to keep us moving and not some type of power takeover or something silly like that. If someone else would rather use their repo for this, I would be glad to use theirs instead. We just need a central repo for fixes until someone with admin on the main repo returns.

In addition, I plan to open a server that uses ServUO with no changes made to it and that gives anyone GM abilities so that we can test and find bugs. The plan is that the server will not save and will give any new accounts GM Accesslevel. This could be abused, but with no saves, I think it will be ok. I'm open to opinions on this and how it can best serve the community.

I do not blame you at all for that idea really. I agree, ServUO has sat stagnant long enough. I don't see any reason for you to use any other repo than your own, Ravenwolfe. Should you follow through with this, I think its important that you use your own so you know exactly what it contains and will contain.

Its too bad that the other developers can't just pop on once in awhile enough to just let us know they are alive. But enough time has past with no words. I think you are right on with your picking up and moving forward :) They can catch up later, should they return.

"Excellent idea Ravenwolfe!! " So happy to see some one step in and pick up the ball so to speak :) Seeing ServUO at a stand still for so long is not good at all, the test ServUO server is also a good idea, might want to consider only those who have been on ServUO a while with gm levels, just a thought.

Yeah, I agree with that too. Might not so much want to just leave it open to anyone.. instead, maybe you could do some sort of request system, so there is some sort of light moderation as to who is able.
It might be just as good to just have the Test enabled for players to adjust themselves as they wish, more than having GM power. But thats all up to you guys. My only other thought is, you dont need to be doing this all on your own either. There should be a couple/few of us around here that could be trusted and able to help as well :)

Yeah, I agree with that too. Might not so much want to just leave it open to anyone.. instead, maybe you could do some sort of request system, so there is some sort of light moderation as to who is able.
It might be just as good to just have the Test enabled for players to adjust themselves as they wish, more than having GM power. But thats all up to you guys. My only other thought is, you dont need to be doing this all on your own either. There should be a couple/few of us around here that could be trusted and able to help as well :)

I can do it as test center, sounds good. I also want to keep it open as much as possible for people who want learn to be a GM or practice commands. Reminds me of an old shard called GM training grounds. Maybe I'll just do it upon request tho.

I have no intention of doing this on my own!! I fully expect others to help with this, which is the whole point of what I am doing; giving everyone who wishes to help a place to send the pull requests for now. Otherwise everyone is duplicating work by fixing bugs on their own and only having it on their repo. I'm counting on you guys to help me!! :D

And yes Dian, this definitely means you!:p

Alright, well I guess I need to do some clean up on my work station then.. I imagine we are using the current patch Ultima client then?

I will get a clean ServUO unpacked and setup, or maybe a copy of the one you are running if there is any difference from the one available.. and try to get myself to learn a bit more about GitHub. I had started reading/learning it some recently and have a decent understanding on it all, just need to get some time in on it. It would be awesome if there was some sort of dummy Hub to just play around with pulling/pushing etc, not having to worry about effecting anything other than learning the process of it all and reset or wipe it out from time to time. Would really help understanding it all as it would be by doing rather than watching or reading about it.

So I suppose, beyond that.. a kind of list or areas needing looked at or worked on would be good.. Or something to go by as to where we are at. Im sure there are areas that are only partially coded, and some that are needing fixed, some needing started.. etc.

I am more than willing to be a part of this, you know. I am just already spread pretty thin for time to work on Ultima stuff, but I can manage it somehow. :)

No problem at all, any help is great help!

Right now it's probably best to use my fork as a basis since it has already progresses beyond the main one with some fixes. Would be good to fork mine but I don't think you can fork a fork. I'm not by my computer right now but I will think on an alternate solution soon.

This is only meant as a temporary solution!
This could be abused, but with no saves, I think it will be ok.

I rather would save in order to a) Test Saves and new Save methods and b) Testing changes against existing Objects. I dunno how often some Shardowner accidently whiped a save because they did the wrong serialisation. On this way you also have a way to test modified Cores and noone can cry about losses. Because the state of playing\GMing doesnt matter.

As far as development goes, i think we should go straight a way of offering own Parts of Framework instead of modifying the existing ones. I mean we cant dump Playermobiles or such, but some Services are heavy old made and a normal revisition would drop the update credibilities

Sorry, I was not clear. There will not be autosaves. Saves will be manually done when needed. I will also use the backup system to preserve snapshots when needed.

Back