1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving To The Cloud

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Insanity, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Insanity

Insanity Active Member

I wanted to announce this at least an hour in advanced, so everyone is prepared for the down time and doesn't think something is actually wrong with the web site.

Today I will be purchasing some new web hosting for ServUO. The current share hosting service just isn't enough anymore, as the site has out grown it. In order to make sure the site stays fast and responsive, I'd either have to upgrade to VPS/Dedicated/Cloud.

So in order to not worry about having to upgrade the next web service shortly down the road. So I've decided to go with a scalable cloud hosting setup. So that I can always scale up memory, storage, ect as needed.

So what does this mean for you? Not a whole lot, unless you're of course trying to access the web site in the middle of the move. In which case you'll get some kind of server error. Although this also means that the response and load times here at the site should she a noticeable improvement.

This also means that web hosting is going to start costing more. To purchase cloud hosting for ServUO, I will be using the donations ServUO has received, plus some money out of my own pocket. As I plan to purchase multiple months of hosting at once. So I'm hoping people still remain to donate to ServUO to help pay the bills around here (I have plans to make donating easier and more lucrative for donors too.)

I would also like to thank the community for making ServUO what it is. The project and site has been very open to the community since day one, although it appears that the site is actually getting pretty popular now. Which was possible because of the community here and word of mouth. I myself never once advertised ServUO. Infact I myself only mentioned ServUO on the CraftUO web site maybe twice.

I'd also like to thank everyone that has donated to ServUO, as without you guys ServUO would still be on crappy hosting and PhpBB. I've still put a lot of my own money into ServUO over the past year, but there's no way I could of managed to do all of this with my own funds. So a big thank you for helping out.

With all of this said. I plan to start the move in 1 hour from now. So 10:00am EST. When I begin, I will be locking the forum from any changes. Then at some point the site should go completely down momentarily (hope to not make it very long.)