My vision of the perfect server.

Murmur

Mar 4, 2013
Dallas, TX
I haven't ever really posted this information before in hopes that one day I'd create the server. Maybe someday I will, who knows.

In the meantime, I wanted to maybe be the voice for other people like me with the same preferences in playstyle and maybe just inspire others for their own projects.

1. Pre-T2A through Renaissance client mechanics for the most part
2. Custom Map
3. No forced roleplay
4. No classes
5. No races
6. Tamers/Bards are not required to take down the toughest PVE
7. No context menus
8. 1000/225
9. No power scrolls
10. Cap of 100 on all skills
11. Getting to 90 skill is quick, 90-100 much more difficult
12. Getting to 90 stats quick, 90-100 much more difficult, and having 90-100 of a stat has some kind of multiplier making it very special to have
13. "Unique" item system (detailed below)
14. No skill locks
15. No stat locks
16. Insta-hit
17. Pre-casting
18. No lumberjacking/anatomy/eval/alchemy bonuses
19. Spawnable chests that have chances to get the best "Uniques" and gear (detailed below)
20. Tons of traps in dungeons and orc camps/graveyards/ettin camps/troll camps, making detect trap and disarm traps useful
21. Player made traps that actually work on PVE and PVP
22. Rare->Supreme->Legendary->Mythical "quality" system (detailed below)
23. Every "old school" client/static decoration is craftable (rugs, paintings, statues, walls, fences, if its in InsideUO, it's craftable somehow
24. Random power hours in random locations (increased drops/skill and stat gains) to promote centralized PVE and PVP
25. Mining and lumberjacking have 1-2 second action timers
26. No mining veins, there is only one type of ore, and the ingots you get depends on mining skill and RNG
27. No chivalry/ninjitsu/trinkets and all that garbage
28. No elf/gargoyle/Samurai garbage
29. Custom player housing system that lets you choose from a massive pre-made selection of housing, and the location of the house on the map has an influence on what the house components can look like, so that neighborhoods somewhat match each other's style (no Sandstone in swamp, no thatch in snow etc)
30. If you want to be a Dread Lord/Murderer, you can, and there is no stat loss, but the damage and timers that you do will be slightly less than a non-PK to possibly help prevent excessive griefing, but still allow really good technical players to be able to kill blues, and red on red battles being equal.
31. Since it's a custom map, you could have tons of easter eggs and hidden teleporters all over the place.
32. Have different quests that have random spawns pop up in the world that have a puzzle or some gamelore that you must figure out.
33. Have "zones" in the map that randomly spawn a message in the system message that says something like "You smell baking bread." as you walk passed the bakery, or "You notice something very odd about the tree to your right." and a skeleton spawns or something.
34. Pure dexxers could now be viable, pure archers could no be viable (due to the "unique" system detailed below)
35. Critical strike system, with messages above the target's head showing you exactly how much damage you're doing to figure out which weapons are most effective.
36. Armor actually matters, such as someone in plate getting hit by a sword does less damage than someone in plate getting hit with someone with a mace weapon. Leather against a sword/piercer is more damage than a mace. etc etc

"Unique" system - Every mob/spawnable chest has a chance to drop a wearable "unique". It could be a piece of clothing, armor, weapon, jewelry. All of these could have str/dex/int values that add to your stats up to 100, never above 100. All clothing/armor/jewelry could have a spell attached to it. So you could have a plate chest of bless that allows you to have the bless effect on your character, up to 100 str/dex/int without having to activate the ability. You could also have a plate chest that has a clickable version of bless to cast on your buddies. You could have a plate chest that has reactive armor, or greater heal etc etc. You could have a plate chest that when you are hit in the chest, it will cast a fireball back at the attacker. All of the different wearable items could randomly get stats/spells attached... maybe even some custom abilities that cannot be used in magery. Weapons could be like a longsword that has 5 str and procs Firestrike 1/3rd of the time, and 1/20th of the time it would critical strike doing twice the normal damage. All of these values could be randomized, so that you could have two different longswords of flamestrike, but one has better base damage/swing timers and spell damage than the other. This would be the endgame for gear, trying to get the perfect set together for your playstyle and character build.

"Item quality" system - For every item that is dropped on a mob or spawned in a chest or crafted by a crafter, pretty much every item in the game, now has a "quality". The quality falls into 5 categories. Normal->Rare->Supreme->Mythical->Legendary. To show how this works, lets hypothetically say a "normal longsword" does 1-5 damage, a "rare longsword" does 5-10 damage, a "supreme longsword" does 10-15 damage, a "legendary longsword" does 15-20 damage, and a "mythical longsword" does 20-25 damage. This "quality" on every item controls how much damage it does, how much armor a piece of armor has, the durability longevity of an item, and the color of the item. So if one guy has a "rare longsword of lightning bolt" and another guy has a "mythical longsword of lightning bolt" I can tell just by looking at his actual character that one's is rare, and the other's is mythical. I'd prefer them to have a basic color of the item, like a blue longsword, and then the rare has like a blue "glow" effect on the sword, and the mythical has like a purple "glow" effect. This would require custom graphics though, so I dont know about that one. This "quality" system could be on a painting, or a reagent, or pretty much everything, and all the items would have some sort of advantage to having a higher quality, or it would simply be cosmetic like on a painting or other deco. Legendary and Mythical would literally be like 1/100,000 and 1/1,000,000 chance of dropping, making them truly legendary and mythical.

That's about all the time I have for tonight, I might come back and put more ideas here, but I hope it gets the juices flowing and if you know of a server that incorporates this stuff, I'd like to come play it or test for you. I love coding, but all work and no play is no good :)

Thanks for reading.

Peoharen

Dec 21, 2015
So would you mind taking a minute to explain some things to me? For years I have heard people complain about numbers 16 & 17, "insta hit" and "precast", and it has always confused me.

See, you "insta hit" once you're delay it up assuming your offense check beats their defense. By toggling into walking instead of running you can generally just keep stepping backwards. You could use the slowest weapon in the game against the fastest swinging monster but because you're not in range when their delay lapses their speed advantage is negated. Instead you both hit once you come near again. This is how RunUO has worked ever since I joined and since RunUO's development has stopped I can say that's how it ended too.

And pretty much the same with "pre-cast", you can precast all your buffs. - Which in Pre-AOS would be like a whole three spells. - and you can carry one spell target around for several minutes. Any menu based Spell can even be added on top of that. Like in AOS+ of RunUO you can cast the summon familiar spell and ignore the menu, cast vengeful and just not click on anything, and run up to your opponent a minute later and dump both of them on your target immediately (choose the poisonous snake!) while hitting your blood oath & last target macro with sadistic glee.

So naturally, when someone demands "insta hit" or "pre cast", I have literally no idea what they are asking about.

Norman Lancaster

Dec 22, 2015
There was a time in uo's history when the damage applied from a swing at some point in the middle of the animation, depending on dex. There was also an anti pre cast era when moving at all would cancel a targeted spell, and there was about a fifteen second timeout standing still. To my knowledge these mechanics have never been implemented in the mainline code base.

As for aI community server that fits done of your criteria, look at http://www.uorenaissance.com/ . They have a thriving player base, good pvp scene and runs of custom content.

Ravenwolfe

ServUO Developer
Sep 7, 2013
Texas
www.ultimaonlinephoenix.com
Shard Name
UO Phoenix
Typically they mean "insta hit" as the weapon doing a hit immediately upon equipping it instead of waiting for the swing delay.

"Pre-cast" refers to casting an offensive spell, equipping a weapon, getting a hit, and then dropping the spell on them. In other words, you can hold the target cursor from a spell when you equip a weapon.

Crome969

Jan 9, 2014
Germany
www.RebirthUO.com
Shard Name
RebirthUO
Donate
Donate money to this user
Sounds very one sided.

In the end i see here a pre aos server for people who loved their roxxing 1998 styled preaos helbard swinging mages.
I really thought about giving some feedback about every detail, but then i would sound like a bad guy because i see the perfect server on almost every aspect opposing yours.

Maybe its time you make your perfect server yourself, and see how your vision goes along :)

Peoharen

Dec 21, 2015
So, to Norman "insta hit" is when based on when the damage it dealt during an animation and "insta cast" is more of the target being wiped if you move. And to Raven "insta hit" is an exploitation of swapping weapons to bypass delays and "insta cast" is the ability to keep a weapon equipped. These are two very differant things mistakeningly using the same terms so how can anyone be sure which one Murmur meant if he doesn't clearify it?

The ambiguity only breeds more confusion on the listener's end.
P.S. RunUO/ServUO distro has "insta cast" per both definitions.

Ravenwolfe

ServUO Developer
Sep 7, 2013
Texas
www.ultimaonlinephoenix.com
Shard Name
UO Phoenix
"insta hit" was more equipping weapons from empty hands than from swapping weapons, since swapping weapons was not really an option back then. "pre-cast" wasn't so much that you could KEEP a weapon equipped but more that you can equip the weapon after casting a spell without the targeting cursor cancelling. Once the weapon was equipped you could no longer cast.

These terms were pretty well defined when I played before T2A. As was stated, hally mages dominated that era. You could pre-cast a spell like explosion, hold the cursor, equip the hally for an instant hit, then drop the spell on them as a combo. Then cast again, which dropped the weapon, and repeat. Was actually a pretty boring time for pvp :)

I can see how its ambiguous now as so few players from that time remain, but it was certainly crystal clear at the time, lol

Peoharen

Dec 21, 2015
There's a lot of shards like that out there :)
It is a huge theme isn't it?

Back when I was more active UO Gateway's shard list basically boiled down to two shards. The Pre-AOS servers trying to recapture the old & dying player base that loved magery/melee PVPing with unlimited greifing but hated anything to do with obtaining (and keeping) rare items. And those pokemon loving FSATS shards where people could turn off their brains and let razor play the entire game for them.

I always felt the odd man out that wanted something other than those two extremes and it was always such a huge pain to find a shard to play.

Crome969

Jan 9, 2014
Germany
www.RebirthUO.com
Shard Name
RebirthUO
Donate
It is a huge theme isn't it?

Back when I was more active UO Gateway's shard list basically boiled down to two shards. The Pre-AOS servers trying to recapture the old & dying player base that loved magery/melee PVPing with unlimited greifing but hated anything to do with obtaining (and keeping) rare items. And those pokemon loving FSATS shards where people could turn off their brains and let razor play the entire game for them.

I always felt the odd man out that wanted something other than those two extremes and it was always such a huge pain to find a shard to play.
The FSATS pokemon shards not even let you catch all 151 ;)
Well i know pets always hard to balance but people also should consider some variety. Not everyone want to play the hardcore ping based hotkey(or script) style swinging mage were 1ms of lag or not being on a huge load of cocaine will end in a painful death. On the other side not all people love the carebear style where you could clean your house while beating the big uber boss afk as well.

As shardowner you need to determine what is your wanted audience, and then work on that. The tryout to make it "perfect" for everyone never will happen. A shard who adds 1000+ customs making farming on any facet super easy, adding pets and carebears and pokemeons not should try to get pre aos style aos pvp junkies.

Thats why i said one sided. The audience seems to be correct on that vision, just not my style.
I also tried to go back years ago to that roots and the audience mostly were people who licked to griefplay, kill and massacre.
The last shard i tried that (i wont name the shard) i logged in and before i was able to move 3 guys killed and looted me with the good old explo \wall exploit, looted my starter items, tooked my head, called me things i would never say and runned away. Then i went to the healer and before i knew i was dead again.. same group, same style .... :p

Peoharen

Dec 21, 2015
Not everyone want to play the hardcore ping based hotkey(or script) style swinging mage were 1ms of lag or not being on a huge load of cocaine will end in a painful death.
I doubt that, you held your tongue before which was nice. But your posts are slipping more and more into the old "elitist" form of speech.

But the fact is even by UO standards Ren era is exponentially more limited than current options. Like thinking weapon swapping and 'a' spell is hard, necromancer/paladin/samurai builds on OSI solo'ed Peerless. You prebuffed, honored on sight, kept several buffs/debuffs up (blood oath, corpse skin, bless, curse weapon, consecrate weapon, divine fury, etc), and constantly used one or more special attacks as fast as your hit mana leech would let you. These options simply do not exist in Ren and become more and more limited the further back you play in the timeline. Players of newer MMOs would consider the Ren era to be extremely simplistic, like maybe an alpha release of a better game.

So before you run off on your limited perceptions you should really take a look at things. Like take FSATS, the system also penalizes player skill but it does it in a different way. Whereas Ren era does it by globally removing options, FS does it by making it a suboptimal choice. Pets are so gamebreakingly superior compared to combined potential of what a player can do you either conform and play with it or get utterly destroyed by any custom scaled against them and never progress. So everyone has to pick up taming, lore, and vet to be of use. But what should you add to that afterwards? Well combat based spells & attacks risk stealing aggro in a game that one hit can change it leading to instant death against the same customs, death is boring, invokes the feeling of failure, and even penalizes you by having to pay insurance for your items and the time it takes to run back and get raised. So tamermage becomes the default trend simply because it's the superior to to anything else and this is really of no reflection of the player, they are pushed into it and they either like it contributing to play style demand the or stop playing and vanish all together. The system cultivates a very specific sort of players, but I really don't think it's fair to blame the players for it or consider them any less because they play it.

Last edited:

Crome969

Jan 9, 2014
Germany
www.RebirthUO.com
Shard Name
RebirthUO
Donate
I doubt that, you held your tongue before which was nice. But your posts are slipping more and more into the old "elitist" form of speech.

But the fact is even by UO standards Ren era is exponentially more limited than current options. Like thinking weapon swapping and 'a' spell is hard, necromancer/paladin/samurai builds on OSI solo'ed Peerless. You prebuffed, honored on sight, kept several buffs/debuffs up (blood oath, corpse skin, bless, curse weapon, consecrate weapon, divine fury, etc), and constantly used one or more special attacks as fast as your hit mana leech would let you. These options simply do not exist in Ren and become more and more limited the further back you play in the timeline. One can just as easily pose the retort that the old-only players just can't handle expanded dynamics found in more current MMOs, like DDO is by far worse with the sheer amount of things you have to keep up.

So before you run off on your limited perceptions you should really take a look at things. Like take FSATS, the system also penalizes player skill but it does it in a different way. Whereas Ren era does it by globally removing options, FS does it by making it a suboptimal choice. Pets are so gamebreakingly superior compared to combined potential of what a player can do you either conform and play with it or get utterly destroyed by any custom scaled against them and never progress. So everyone has to pick up taming, lore, and vet to be of use. But what should you add to that afterwards? Well combat based spells & attacks risk stealing aggro in a game that one hit can change it leading to instant death against the same customs, death is boring, invokes the feeling of failure, and even penalizes you by having to pay insurance for your items and the time it takes to run back and get raised. So tamermage becomes the default trend simply because it's the superior to to anything else and this is really of no reflection of the player, they are pushed into it and they either like it contributing to play style demand the or stop playing and vanish all together. The system cultivates a very specific sort of players, but is it really fair to blame them for anything?
I really missed you Peo, and you not even know me ;)
When i wrote the text above i just remembered my last encounter onto ren era, so you catched me on boiling blood.... It was not my intention to sound like an "elitist", may call it an issue due languange barrier. I guess we all have a different view how uo would match perfectly and i personaly like the variety, the current ultima online offer. I may not like all features the official publisher introduced, but i like the possibilities you can create. What i wanted to explain in my previous post is that there are different kind of players, some may like era filled by criminals, robbing anything they can get with or without exploit or having a fun time ruining others gameplay. But there are also other players who not like to get confronted with that style. I´ve been playing uo over half of my life and had the chance to gain experience about every distributed era since first release. I also miss the old times you got slaugthered when you tried to pass the britain passage but i also enjoy the fruits and variety, the modern ultima online offers. What modern "renaissance" server offer (and this i not mean by staff but by the audience of player) just doesnt match the old experience i had previously and every friend or foe i met through gaming trying to conviece me that renaissance is still the true uo by using the same explanations over and over. Sometimes it sounds like they want to play Black Ops III but with UO as graphical client.

I´m with you fully on the second part of your text but i think its up to the shard designer to either follow this system or break through.

Norman Lancaster

Dec 22, 2015
I always wanted a uor era server but with no felucca. That is until I actually got to know the new mechanics :)

Peoharen

Dec 21, 2015
I always wanted a uor era server but with no felucca. That is until I actually got to know the new mechanics :)
Actually it's all pretty simple for the most part.

Just set down on UO Guide and read through a spell list, try to think of which spells are actually useful to cast. Once you've made it all the way through them all, start over again combining two spell sets like necromancy & magery to look for potential combos. Then maybe add a third, or even a fourth.

TheDoc

Gold Donator
Platinum Donator
Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
To run a successful shard you have to jam a bunch of scripts in, find the main objects of the scripts and make them donation items, buy out toplists and cheat votes, ban and delete any opinionated posts on your forums, make staff positions sound like an application for the Secret Service, send out cease and desist letters, use WoW mount graphics and claim "custom graphics", steal other people's work and call your self UoEv... umm n/m did I say that out loud?

Reactions: sahisahi

Norman Lancaster

Dec 22, 2015
But don't hold back Doc, tell us how your really feel :)

I do find truth in your cynicism. Many of the practices that you allude to are used by a startling number of service-based games these days - not just emulated services - to try to gain market share. Most of these practices are ultimately not in the best interest of anyone, not even the game service plying them.

One lesson I have learned recently is that different people have different definitions of success. I've seen quite a few shards recently. Some owners complain that their shard is failing because they have less than 100 online at peak. Other owners think things are going great because they have 10 regulars, and on any given weekend night you can scrape a spawn hunt together.

A wise man once said, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". Words of wisdom if I've ever heard them.

TheDoc

Gold Donator
Platinum Donator
Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
There are small shards out there that are underrated and have very dedicated/talented people. The previously mentioned one makes me sick, but hell even Richard Garriott has basically turned SoTA into another donation shard. All they ever do is create more crap to buy for a game that was supposed to be released years ago. That's why I love small shards that actuallly are there for love of the game over greed.