I have been working on a new tutorial to teach people how to use Git to manage their shard's code with a graphical interface. I think a lot of our users are put off by the command line interface of Git based on some conversations we have had on this forum. My problem is I am a command line junky, so I do not know any of the GUI tools.

I have evaluated two tools thus far, Git GUI and Git Extensions. Both of these clients are attractive to me because they use the standard Git tools to accomplish their tasks and simply wrap a UI around them. However neither of them have had the features built into the UI to handle merging from upstream remotes. To accomplish these tasks the user is forced back down to the command line.

Does anyone happen to know of a good tool for this? I'll have some more time to evaluate GUI tools next week (overlaps with my work responsibilities :) ) but I'd rather not be shooting in the dark.

I use Sourcetree when im feeling graphical, plus it allows me to shell out when I need to use command line.

You can track remotes and upstream merges very easily. Also awesome with branches.

Oh, and integrates automatically with github and bitbucket.

I am currently using SourceTree too .. but its horribly slow, not sure whats up with that but others have the same issue and they cant seem to fix it.

SmartGIT has a dead simple GUI, and its free when used on open source projects.

Has side by side diffs, github integration, etc everything you expect from a GUI.

Back