Hello Everyone,

I've been itching to get back into the UO private community for a long time now, I figure it's about time I did.

A little background about me first. I'm 24 and first played on runuo servers when I was 11. I have never played UO official servers, and have no desire to do so. The idea of a server which is run by, governed, and staffed by the community is what draws me to this community. The idea of a server that I can re-write the code on, optimize, and add nearly anything I want to draws me to RunUO and now more specifically ServUO. I am a C# developer, with VB.net, web application development, and team leadership experience.

What I want to build in a server. I'm still pretty open to this, and would be looking for feedback from those I chose to be staff. The key features I am set on as having a part of any server I govern are; guilds, player governed towns, a sense of community, no skill balls, ethereals, and breeding that can be done to a degree which competes or overpowers ethereals.

Some information about the platform:
I will provide a physical machine hosted in Montreal Canada at an OVH datacenter. 99.99% up time on the hardware. Three servers. One public, One development, and One closed alpha. A website. A teampseak. A control panel to update dev server to code on git, restart dev server. Automated schedule for updates to roll to alpha server.

I will provide leadership and be an active developer.

What I'm looking for in staff.

First and foremost I am looking for dedication and community. If you don't get along well with others don't apply. Knowing UO official or playing it actively are a plus but not required. Be active, if you disappear without warning for weeks you will not longer be staff on the server.

I will be seeking staff in the following cycles:

Cycle 1: Development
Coders, Artists, Web Developers

Cycle 2: Story
Authors, Storytellers, Imaginative / Creative people to help the server tell a story, create quests etc.

Cycle 3: Player Staff
Councelors, GMs.

Let's start off with Cycle 1.
If you fit into that category please send me a PM to discuss what you would like to see from a server and your qualifications.

Thanks,
Techy

Last edited:
Sorry, I should also note that I have ran UO servers in the past. Most maintained approximately 20 - 30 playerbase. I would like to see something larger come from this project, however given the size of the current community I won't be unrealistic.

In the years since I last ran a UO server I have also ran several other successful servers ranging in community size and make-up. I'm not new to this kind of work, and enjoy every last minute of it.

Please do not be put off by my terse wording on the post, I just want to be clear what my intentions are. I don't have any exact expectations, I can have them if no one who decides to join the project has input, and I will always be the final deciding moderator, but I prefer to let the people who will be spending their time building and playing the server dictate the direction of the server at large. It gives you a sens of creating something and it will be something you can be proud of if you help make the decisions. Whereas if you are just following out my instructions to the letter and I dictate everything you will feel a lot less involved.

Nice summary. It's nice to see you have a clear vision for the physical hardware, rather than just hosting on your laptop whenever you feel like leaving it on. (I fall into this category often. Too poor to host anything real.) But an OVH Datacenter is not cheap. I hope you have clear expectations of the upkeep. (Or do you have an "in" at the datacenter? ;) )

Anyway, again, nice vision and purpose you have set forth. Good luck, and welcome!

Nice summary. It's nice to see you have a clear vision for the physical hardware, rather than just hosting on your laptop whenever you feel like leaving it on. (I fall into this category often. Too poor to host anything real.) But an OVH Datacenter is not cheap. I hope you have clear expectations of the upkeep. (Or do you have an "in" at the datacenter? ;) )

Anyway, again, nice vision and purpose you have set forth. Good luck, and welcome!

Haha, Good question. I don't exactly have an 'in' other than I use one of their subsidiaries which deals in their off-lease hardware still located in an OVH datacenter for speed and reliability. However, I maintain a sizable server for my own personal projects which is most time under utilized. I have had this server for something on 8 months now, and have no plans to let it go any time soon unless I don't put something on it. At the moment it's most intensive resource is a teamspeak server I run for my friends, and an occasional minecraft server.

But you raise a good point. It seems to me there is a need in the community for reasonable private server hosting options. I'll do a little research. Runuo and Servuo have always fallen into a mildly questionable area when it comes to professional server hosting which is I'm sure the primary reason no one has done it. But I bet you could skirt some of that by offering low cost VPS solution with an easy install button and a couple of disclaimers.

Last edited:
I dont mind helping you out. I can code although i am not a developer i can do more than basic armor/monsters etc https://www.servuo.com/archive/mysterious.837/ although this is a monster and armor its a bit more advanced than the average.

I have been looking for a shard to play on myself without any luck.

Personally i would like something like.

Higher Skills/Stat Caps (not unlimited)
No Evo's/Merc's
Nothing Insane (uber)
Easier Skill Gain
Customs ( but balanced)
PVP in fel with customs ie Duels

i have been working on building my own shard as purely a hobby as i have no way of actually releasing it for public.

it is running on the latest servuo core with a few customs ive added in..

As i said i am not a developer and i cant committ to you as a full time dev but i am willing to help depending on the type of shard your going for..
Please feel free to discuss this with me

Back