I have been getting a chance to look at the code base quite a lot the last week and have been getting a hang of navigating the server, running commands, etc.

For context, here's what I know and what I think. I have been able to watch quite a few video's of someone making modifications to RunUO. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the YouTube channel. The channel has been helpful in getting a feel for running a server.

I know that ServUO came from RunUO and its just a continuation of that original effort, but ServUO does a lot of things differently.

1. Is anyone able to point out the major differences between RunUO and ServUO? How has ServUO made things better than with RunUO (I assume its better :))?

In RunUO, it appears that XML was a big part of running custom content, so an event could be created by just having an XML file (I'm not 100% confident in this statement)

2. How are custom events, let's say an invasion of Britain by Ratmen, created in ServUO? You can stay at a high level with the answer, I just need to know the general idea of what type of assets I need to create and commands I may need to run. Can/Should I orchestrate it like the official UO Quests in Scripts\Quests? Is it still a lot of XML?

Thanks a ton for any answer I get. It will certainly help.

Back