Good day everyone,

I have started to dive in to the world of ServUO and have some questions - please direct me to the appropriate areas if I have missed something. I have done a ton of reading, but am still short on some information.

To start, I am a software dev, so I have a handle on most of the technical stuff. I have set up an Ubuntu server and am at the point of running the Makefile, but of course have to put the client files on that machine.

Here's the thing I don't understand: If I want to run a UO:R shard, does it matter which client files I use? What about UO:TA? I am assuming that I should be building against as close to the version of the game I plan on running, but what if I want some newer content in an older style game? Obviously I cannot run an old client against new content, but can I limit things to old content on a new client?

Once I have this part figured out I think I can muddle my way through a bit more until I have a world created, but if anyone wants to point me to any other key information that you think I may be missing, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-m

You can use up to date client data (or any publish), for any era server. With clever use server configuration and script edits, you can achieve any era of UO with art/content from more recent eras.

If you think you'll be doing edits to the client data itself, by adding new gumps, editing/customizing the maps, editing clilocs, etc, then you might want to examine which client data is the easiest for you to edit.

Clients version 7.0.23 and previous use the MUL extension, for which many tools exist. Past that, they switched to the UOP format, and you'll generally need to convert them to MUL files to edit them. I always had issues with this, and ended up using 7.0.20 since it was a very stable, replete, and editable set of client data.

Thanks @Anon the Felon , Some good guidelines.

I have something running (not likely my final version), but I do have some other technical questions that I will fire in to the other forums.

Thanks,

-m

Back