Official ServUO Shards.

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
It's a long time coming so here we go.

Starting soon we will be offering two public shards for users to enjoy. One test shard that will be updated automatically to the latest commit on the master branch of the repo and one production shard that will be run as a professional shard for players to enjoy.

So why now? The repo has been getting a lot of love lately and we want to strike while the iron is hot in order to continue supporting our users and the repo. Having our own test and production environments will go a long way with regards to finding and squashing bugs. It will also make developing new features better as we get feedback from players.

These shards will be run on premium machines with premium bandwidth. They are EU based but have been tested from multiple locations with great results. There is little to no lag from both east and west coast North America.

These shards will be professionally run and have the full backing of all the staff here at ServUO. Staff will be active both in game and in the community. I have the greatest trust in all the ServUO staff and am confident the shard will be ran very professionally.

Saying that, we are looking for a couple more members of staff that are knowledgeable of in game mechanics and features. New staff will start at the counselor level and after some time will be promoted depending on performance. Staff positions are unpaid as this is a community project. If you feel you would be a good fit then please post in this thread that you are interested. Please include any experience you may have.

So when can you play? That has not been decided as of yet, but real soon. We still have a few things to work out on the server. We are talking days to a week or two, not months so get excited!

Q&A

What era will the server be based on?
The server will be keeping up to date with the ServUO repo. That means after some time we are aiming for and OSI accurate era. At the time of writing that is Time Of Legends.

Will development that is completed on the shard be available to the community?
Yes :) All developments on the official server will be added to the repo or in some cases added to the resources section of this site (If the addition does not fit as an OSI accurate one)

Will the server be available 24/7?
Yes, Baring downtime for updates and maintenance. It is expected that we will have a 99.9% uptime.

DDOS! WHAT DO!?
The server is located in a DDOS protected datacenter. While it is not guaranteed that every DDOS attack can be mitigated I feel that the service offered is more than adequate. If it is a problem we can work around it.

Free items plz?
No! The server will be a corruption free zone. We want our economy to naturally inflate and deflate as the market grows. This is a bit of a numbers game so will be actively monitored and things tweaked as we grow.

Remember, the end goal is to make the repo better for everyone. We look forward to seeing you on the server and if you have any question please ask in this thread.

Reactions: Hank

Muddled

Citizen
Nov 1, 2014
About time!

Been eagerly awaiting this as I have had an itch to play UO for a while that I couldn't quite scratch. Glad to see ServUO is finally getting it's own official server and I will certainly be all over this when you guys push it out. Hope to see many of the new and old community members playing.

Keep up the good work guys!

Reactions: m309
Aug 29, 2014
Shard Name
Distantland
I think we should all get atlist one house to start with. because you love us so much.

Aug 29, 2014
Shard Name
Distantland
Oh man that is poor man you just wait I will find you and cut you limb to limb. hehe I'm going to be red :)

Dec 22, 2015
There will be gifts for those who create accounts during the first month or so. They include a 2% resist sash, champagne, champagne flutes and stogies :)

X

xG00BERx

Finally not a custom server. But then again I like a bit of custom except for that fact that official UO is kinda muffed up.

Shard Owner
Jun 13, 2014
www.ultima-shards.com
Shard Name
Ultima Shards
Donate
Donate money to this user
It's so sad that nowadays we have to say "DDOS protected" in our descriptions because of all the jerks that try to DDOS freeshards.

Dec 22, 2015
Not at this time. The shards will be running the code from the official ServUO repository. The EC client support work is taking place in a separate fork. If this work is merged into the main repo then we will have EC support at that time.

Hank

Knight
Nov 14, 2013
Earth
I look forward to playing on the production shard. This has been a long time coming and I'm glad it is finally coming into fruition.
Best of luck on everything. I know you'll make it great! :)
*hic*

Reactions: Muddled and m309

Shazzy

Knight
Mar 6, 2015
Wisconsin
shazzysuoshard.proboards.com
Shard Name
Shazzy's Shard
I would be interested, but my time would be M-W-F after 3pm CST and other varied hours because of my work. I no longer have a UO account, but I have run a server since 2004, trying to maintain UO balance/work for skills/etc.

Izex

Rookie
Feb 16, 2016
USA
www.SC2Power.com
I would love to be a Counselor. I always enjoyed UO since I was a kid but the only experience as far as being a GM in UO was when I hosted a server for myself and my brother. I would be able to log on daily after 3PM PST. I will check out the server as a player as well regardless :) .

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for your interest guys. I will contact members I feel are a good match in a day or so.

What we really need right now are users who can be online during EU peak hours.

Reactions: Crome969

ETsCat

Squire
Jun 18, 2013
Shard Name
Dragon's Lair
I will try to play as much as health allows. I'm trying to build a custom shard, but still like the old timers. Worked for the original developers until they( Lord British) got mad at my assassin character. Last time I played on a OSI shard was several years back.
I just started up as Sir Dies A Lot, and fast building str., killing Rats and mining Makes gold and str.

LordTankcon

Citizen
Dec 3, 2016
Colorado
Shard Name
Lost In Time and or Canon of the Depths
where is the official shard? and how does one connect to it? that is if it is still running? also if it is i would love to be a counselor if there is still room for more, i can be on any time that is needed 24/7 i have very little experience as a counselor except that i did run my own server for a while back when runuo was alive around 2003/4, also i have played uo since 1997 on osi shards and still have 13 accounts with them. i miss the old days though when you would call a gm and a real live gm would come talk to u in the game. instead of now days all u get is a stupid message response/ lame if u ask me. if i become a gm i will definitely go out and mingle with population and provide excellent service to the community.