So this weekend, I'm looking to set up my own private server for some friends who played back in the T2A and Renaissance days of UO. I've never set one of these up before, but as I do my homework and research, I'm finding that the game has progressed quite a bit since then. That said, I still want to go back to what I remember most.

I've found a UOR client, and am planning to use the ServUO tools here to set up the world, but something I'm not seeing is the nature of spawning on a world so old, comparatively speaking.

Can someone explain to me if it will work, or what I will need to do to make it work? Thanks!

Edit: And, to save me a trip and save you all an extra headache, how do spawners work for things like treasure drops and containers?

Last edited:
It is possible to find some older spawn files that cover the older ERA spawns and clients. Spawns are also fairly easy to edit and tweak to what you want.

And yes, the spawners can control the spawn of treasure chests and containers, stealables, etc.

It is possible to find some older spawn files that cover the older ERA spawns and clients. Spawns are also fairly easy to edit and tweak to what you want.

And yes, the spawners can control the spawn of treasure chests and containers, stealables, etc.

I see, thanks!

Since I've not even looked at one yet, how easy will it be to pick out what I need from a spawner while tweaking? My interest is in making a world spawn that is accurate to T2A or Renaissance for Felucca.

Depends on your definition of accurate. If you mean the creatures that were only available during that time, then its fairly easy. If you mean the exact spawns in the exact locations of the spawns during T2A, that's a bit harder to replicate because people have different memories.

Areas such as Titan Valley have had different spawns over the years, same as some dungeons.

Depends on your definition of accurate. If you mean the creatures that were only available during that time, then its fairly easy. If you mean the exact spawns in the exact locations of the spawns during T2A, that's a bit harder to replicate because people have different memories.

Areas such as Titan Valley have had different spawns over the years, same as some dungeons.

Well, my project is going to be very small in scale. The big goal I want to have is that I want a world that has all the vendors in their proper places, and monster spawns that are reasonable. I don't need perfect accuracy, but I don't want massively empty or super crowded areas, either.

I'm completely noob in all of this, and I admit that this part is very intimidating to me. But by your tone, maybe I shouldn't be as overwhelmed as I am?

Spawns are really not that difficult to set up. I think if you start with those xml files I linked you to, you will be fine. They are a pretty good start for a standard early era world. Once you put them in, you will find them easy to tweak.

About the only time spawns are difficult is on custom maps.

Spawns are really not that difficult to set up. I think if you start with those xml files I linked you to, you will be fine. They are a pretty good start for a standard early era world. Once you put them in, you will find them easy to tweak.

About the only time spawns are difficult is on custom maps.

Oh okay, I didn't know that. Thanks!

One more question, if you don't mind my pestering, how do the clients and server interact with regards to those sorts of things? For example, let's say I hit the button to fill the world, what happens with the items that are say, past the era my client is in?

Also, let's say I use a T2A client with your spawner script, would my players need the same client? And I'm guessing the best way to organize that is through something like Razor?

Bookmarked, because curran12 is looking to do pretty much exactly what I am :)

Find the discussion thus far very interesting, thanks.

No, I think you are misunderstanding a bit. You still use ServUO as the emulator and use whichever client that you want. You set them emulator to use an older era in the configuration files. The spawn files that I gave you a link to are just that, they are files that store information about the world spawns. You use XMLSpawner to load those files and it will place the spawners in the world.

The emulator comes with a spawn pack, but the spawn pack is for the modern era. You just use the older spawn files in their place.

There is a LOT of work that you will have to do in the emulator to truly tweak it to an older era. The spawns are only one small aspect.

My intention is to make that project, ServUO16, a full operational shard that anyone can use as a good start point for older eras. However, I've not had much time to work on it lately.

I registered to come here to discuss this very thing! I was digging through some old hard drives and found my old shard Legends and decided to give it a go at resurrecting it. It's UO:R based on the initial release. Only Trammel/Felucca, with the original rulesets. I've been working on porting it over since it relied on old 2.0.4 client. I've started a site as well so maybe we can share ideas and such.

One thing I do remember very fondly as a new player during UO:R days, spawning in Britain with my sword in hand. Outside of britain (with the exception of the northern graveyard) was full of Rat Men. As you traveled towards Trinsic you encountered Lizard Men. These were my first memories of UO, being slaughtered by Rat Men only to finally succeed and get slaughtered by Lizard Men.

[createworld is the command for the spawners. But you will want to replace your spawn xml files with the older versions or you can use xmlspawn to recreate spawns that reflect what you remember. You can google xmlspawn tutorial or try this link to a servo tutorial on it.

https://www.servuo.com/threads/xml-spawner-tutorial.98/

You will have to learn how to save your custom spawn xml files and reload them or anytime you wipe your spawns they will be gone and you will have to recreate them.

Some things I believe you can do with xmpslawner is create new regions of spawns and save them. You can then load them or even send them to someone else and they can load them. You can create spawns, reset them, change respawn time, amount, how far they spawn from the spawner, how far they wander from where they spawned and much more.

doh...I feel stupid now. found this in the beginner tutorials as well. thank you. to be honest I haven't played in so long I wouldn't know the difference more then likely but since you mentioned it, how much has changed to the original lands that is. naturally the new lands will be completely new and different regardless.

Back