Did anyone figure out the purpose of the BF.24 packet? This packet is part of the "general information" packet group, and only transfer one byte of data to the server. The value seems to be random, and it's sent regularly, even when the client is idle. The value seems to be a printable ASCII character. Here is an exmple:

) R H / { v 8 & x . R [ \ 2 * 3 1 2 a 2 + U w X J n , Q = . H ~ = n x B = h V​

I'm suspecting that this is another layer of encryption that the server uses to verify that the client software is actually the official client (but that's just my wild guess).

I'm hacking on a side project that's an UO client that runs on JVM, and would like to make sure that my client has identical behavior to the official client (I already figured out the encryption part). Here is the source code in case anyone is interested: https://github.com/akhodakivskiy/HackUO/

@PyrO - thanks, I've read all the packet guides out there, none shed light on this packet. PolServer guide is not very helpful:

Subcommand 0x24: UnKnown
BYTE[1] unknown. UOSE Introduced

Is there any pattern to the byte value itself? Translating to ASCII doesn't mean much. What are the raw byte values over consecutive packets?

The packet is also sent without having a character logged in to the world.

Is there a pattern to it; are there other packets that are consistently sent just before or after, that could highlight its usage?

Best guess is that it is a resync request and if the byte value is incremental for each consecutive packet, that would make sense.

Back