Hello everyone!

So I'm starting to work on my server again and I'd like to get off of RunUO v2.x and start using ServUO.

However, my server incorporates mechanics ranging from Pre-T2A through Renaissance.

Some people ask why, and I can briefly explain for people who might just be curious why there are people out there who prefer this style.

1. No context menus
2. No ML item stats (well, I use a similar system, but without the context menus as seen on servers like TDS)
3. Only one map
4. No reputation system
5. Insta-hit
6. Pre-casting
7. Old school damage calcs
8. No custom housing

There are many other little things that need to be tweaked, and most of it just removing the systems altogether.

I've gone through this process years ago already when I switched from UOX/Sphere to RunUO, and I know that it was a straight up nightmare to get everything settled. Hours and hours of research to figure it all out in the scripts.

Ultimately, I just used another server's distro that pretty much had the majority of it done already, and I was pretty happy with the state it was in.

Here are my questions.

Has ServUO made this transition any easier, or is it pretty much exactly what it was like with RunUO?

Are there any posts out there that outline where all the adjustments need to be made? I looked briefly and didn't see anything specific, just comments on how its as simple as just changing the expansion.

I usually use old clients, like 2.0.3, 4.x and 5x. I've never used anything past UOML. Is it even possible to use a modern 7.x client to achieve what I'm trying to do? I'm out of the loop on how different the back-end of the client looks like now, I've already began to read about the .mul/.uop change, which doesn't seem like too big of a deal to get around when using a custom map.

Is movement smoother using ServUO compared to using RunUO v2.5+ or does it not really matter?

Do you think it's even worth my time to make all these changes using ServUO and a newer client, or am I better off sticking with my current setup using the old stuff?

If there aren't any posts outlining this process, do you think there are enough people out there like me that it would be worth my time creating a post outlining what it takes to achieve this era as I figure it all out?

The first rule of programming is to not reinvent the wheel, so the obvious question would be to ask if anyone has a distro of a clean ServUO distro that has a lot of this stuff done already, even though I'd enjoy knowing what it took to achieve it, why beat my head on the desk if someone has already done this.

That's it for now, thanks for reading/replying!

From a players perspective, your shard looks like a lot of fun to run around and hally wack fools. Do you have a website or IP?

Thanks for the interest, I'm not at that point yet, but as soon as I am, I'll post on these boards and send you a message letting you know it's accessible.

Thanks again for reading.

Murmur, did you ever get anywhere with this? I am interested in filling out the support for T2A and previous eras in ServUO. Maybe we could work together.

I have pretty much all this 100% completed except for i have custom housing but thats easy enough to turn off it you guys want i could upload it

Has ServUO made this transition any easier, or is it pretty much exactly what it was like with RunUO?
It's exactly like RunUO.

But I was digging into my files the other day and I happened across some changes I did some time ago. Basically, you can open CurrentExpansion and see an extended and detailed list of booleans you can alter.
Code:
    #region Spellcasting
     public static readonly bool Necromancer = true;
     public static readonly bool Paladin = true;
     public static readonly bool Samurai = true;
     public static readonly bool Ninja = true;
     public static readonly bool Spellweaver = true;
     public static readonly bool SpellHelperGetOffsetIsAOS = true;
     public static readonly bool SpellHelperGetDamageDelayForSpellIsAOS = true;
     public static readonly bool MagicReflectIsAOS = false;
     // TODO check ALL other Spells
     #endregion

#region LootTables
     // Scripts\Misc\Loot.cs
     public static readonly bool MLWandLoot = false;
     public static readonly bool AOSWandLoot = false;
     public static readonly bool MLClothingLoot = true;
     public static readonly bool SEClothingLoot = true;
Which allows you to exactly tailor which parts of which Expansions you wish to use for total mix-and-match freedom in one file.

Then of course the other scripts have to be redesigned to check those, eg.
Code:
    public static BaseWand RandomWand()
     {
       if ( CurrentExpansion.MLWandLoot)
         return Construct( m_NewWandTypes ) as BaseWand;
       else if ( CurrentExpansion.AOSWandLoot )
         return Construct( m_WandTypes, m_NewWandTypes ) as BaseWand;
       else
         return Construct( m_OldWandTypes, m_WandTypes, m_NewWandTypes ) as BaseWand;
     }
Instead of simple CurrentExpansion.ML or w/e.

I never finished it, but I attached three RunUO-based files to give you an example. Maybe you can complete the edits and talk a deva into committing it to the repository to offer a greater form of control for stuff like this.

Attachments

• Loot.cs
    32.2 KB · Views: 19
  • CurrentExpansion.cs
    3.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Initializer.cs
    7.4 KB · Views: 22
Back