What is your thought on UO Quests System in general

• I love them.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • They are okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wish there was more of them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The rewards are not really worth my time.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
I am asking this question out of Curiosity, I always felt the quests are not really worth my time ever besides the SpellWeaving Questline. I plan on creating something that would make it worth it.

They are also boring lol
Would you start doing the main 1 time quests if finishing the quest would permanently increase your stat cap as an a reward? Or if repeatable quests rewarded you with quest points that could be exchanged for artifacts or special items like bless deeds etc?

I only do a quest if it is required to maximize the potential of the character I'm playing. So yes if it was a stat cap reward. But for just normal artifacts or bless deeds probably not unless it was a quest to kill things I was going to be killing anyway and the quest giver was easily accessible.

I've played on servers that gave quest points that could be exchanged for items before and I'd end up doing like one or two quests and be bored of it and just go back to my normal killing for items to melt with imbuing, champs ect... I also do a lot of crafting so mining/lumberjacking/fishing

I'm not really all that into artifacts besides jewelry, I really prefer to craft my own gear for the most part and if I come across an artifact besides jewelry I usually sell it even if it's better than the gear I've made.

Item insurance makes bless deeds not worth much if you rarely die.

I really think the only way I could be interested in quests would be if they had a really good storyline and sadly in uo it's just simple tasks for the most part.

Also, the only quest I consistently do on all servers I play on if they have it is the imbuing quest for the +20 imbuing, and the odd server here or there has something similar that will get me to do it, and quests for access to areas that you cannot get to without them.

Last edited:
Honestly, from my point of view as someone whose made around 120 different customized quests (based off of the og system or Mondain's WOW ripoff variant), there's only so much you can do coding wise in addition to taking the piss out of the whole concept of questing that quite frankly its boring as all heck unless you really try your hand at attempting to bring some degree of originality to the whole thing besides the usual, go here kill/collectathon nonsense.

Unfortunately the best thing I can do creatively is craft your typical fetch quest that involves a literal chase sequence by the end when getting from one point to another or by making it so that (in the case of pursuing certain mob types) have them spawn in an area only during portions of said quest.

And or if that's too much, turn the entire quest into a complete and utter joke in terms of quest npc dialogue. Such as backwards dialogue (in addition to quest reward info being backwards because that's actually possible believe it or not) or anything else you can think of that doesn't take itself so seriously.

Me, personally what I'd like to see on one of these games is for a quest npc to break the 4th wall and explain in detail why exactly they cannot do the damn task themselves and that the people/person who coded them is a lazy idiot who values quantity over quality. There's a reason why the quests in Fallout New Vegas are more interesting than those from other titles in the franchise.

I want more of that sort of thing, and I also want to be able to create stuff of that nature. Though I suppose that is the curse of being a jack of all trades, master of nothing in regards to UO customization.

Honestly, from my point of view as someone whose made around 120 different customized quests (based off of the og system or Mondain's WOW ripoff variant), there's only so much you can do coding wise in addition to taking the piss out of the whole concept of questing that quite frankly its boring as all heck unless you really try your hand at attempting to bring some degree of originality to the whole thing besides the usual, go here kill/collectathon nonsense.

Unfortunately the best thing I can do creatively is craft your typical fetch quest that involves a literal chase sequence by the end when getting from one point to another or by making it so that (in the case of pursuing certain mob types) have them spawn in an area only during portions of said quest.

And or if that's too much, turn the entire quest into a complete and utter joke in terms of quest npc dialogue. Such as backwards dialogue (in addition to quest reward info being backwards because that's actually possible believe it or not) or anything else you can think of that doesn't take itself so seriously.

Me, personally what I'd like to see on one of these games is for a quest npc to break the 4th wall and explain in detail why exactly they cannot do the damn task themselves and that the people/person who coded them is a lazy idiot who values quantity over quality. There's a reason why the quests in Fallout New Vegas are more interesting than those from other titles in the franchise.

I want more of that sort of thing, and I also want to be able to create stuff of that nature. Though I suppose that is the curse of being a jack of all trades, master of nothing in regards to UO customization.
I see from your POV of the matter, there are actually some quests in UO though that is not all "fetching/killing", you have puzzle quests in UO as well which is another variety but I agree that the quest system lacks. I think the only quests I consider worth it at all, would be Both the Solen Hive series and Spellweaving quest. I also believe there is a lack in the creative side. Normally when I am writing a quest I am writing the base storyline on my notebook, and what kind of triggers I am hoping to achieve within the storyline as well, and choosing certain aspects could alter your character permanently. Like I mentioned before I am planning to rehaul the Stat system we currently have and infuse it with a whole new quest system, where 1-time storyline quests will reward you with stat cap relics which will permanently up your stat cap +1 for each relic you obtain. This could also offer you new opportunities for having stronger monsters for higher-level quests.

Back