Attempted to register using the classic (non 3rd party) registration method and after about 50 attempts was denied with the following each time.

Please correct the following errors:
  1. Your registration has been rejected as it resembles automated or spam-like behavior. Please contact the administrator for further information or assistance.

Finally created a facebook linked account but not sure what the triggers are for spam detection but they might be a bit overzealous.

2nd Note: While I can understand restricting attachments to verified members, could it be possible to allow image attachments to be viewed by anyone? Seems a tad restrictive that an open source community requires moderator approval to view an image that someone thumbnails in a thread posted in the tutorial section.

3rd Note: 1 minute to edit a thread?

I'm not sure what the problem would be but I will ask our lead forum leader to take a peak :)
I believe most forums don't allow view off attachments unless you are registered and sign on the forum.

I dont think having a newly registered member show a little time after registration before posting content is so terrible, really. It just ensures a little better that those that register here, are in fact here for ServUO discussion, rather than some advertising smart bot or otherwise. Not much to ask, in my opinion. There is no sure method of knowing who is who besides simple time through involvement :)

2nd Note: While I can understand restricting attachments to verified members, could it be possible to allow image attachments to be viewed by anyone? Seems a tad restrictive that an open source community requires moderator approval to view an image that someone thumbnails in a thread posted in the tutorial section.
As far as not being able to see thumbnails, that is to reduce server load and bandwidth usage. If the server had to keep sending out full size images to everyone who publicly viewed the forums there would be an considerable increase in bandwidth usage.

3rd Note: 1 minute to edit a thread?
This helps reduce server load, There is no reason you should need any less time in between editing. Also If you're reffering to personal messaging (PMing) Yes you only get 1 minute to edit your message but it is also to reduce server load. Plus if you're taking the time to PM someone you should atleast take the time to proof read what you're saying. You can double post all you want in PMs.

In conclusion, internet bandwidth is not free. With a forum that has files, images, and large amounts of text at times I hope you can understand how it can quickly get used in quantity. All these procausions do is help reduce the bandwidth usage and help maintain sites speeds.

Back