Good News!

Mark "Ryan" is back and is going to pick up the work on RunUO again. You might want to check this out if you like other expansions than the last one.

Sorry but for me that ship has sailed. You can't give a community the "big goodbye" and then come back 5 years later.

How much improvement do you think they can make to past eras that an older ServUO version doesn't have? That's the nature of old content - it's been refined to death and now it just works. There's nothing there to keep working on.

Strange when I view it, states this site isn't secure so hopefully they will change this :) but agree you would need to be working with just Runuo and hope it would be updated

Ryan isn't ''Mark''
Both different individuals, I don't believe Ryan is a coder, he's a community manager.. Mark was an exceptional UO player/Coder, most likely (in my opinion) why Hybrid was so successful in the first place but I believe he moved away from UO a while ago

Yea, I did notice that now. It will be hard to carry on without the main coders. I had big hope sins I'm stuck on an old RunUO.

Ngl Ryan has open a chance to archive all of the old scripts that were written during the RunUO Era, I am definitely gonna end up having a backup of old runuo scripts in case it ends up going back down

Sorry but for me that ship has sailed. You can't give a community the "big goodbye" and then come back 5 years later.

How much improvement do you think they can make to past eras that an older ServUO version doesn't have? That's the nature of old content - it's been refined to death and now it just works. There's nothing there to keep working on.
just the old dead info that is there is priceless
Post automatically merged:

Strange when I view it, states this site isn't secure so hopefully they will change this :) but agree you would need to be working with just Runuo and hope it would be updated
I think they just opened their site up and havent updated to the web now days, I remember when they started that not secure thing, took me a while to get my web site right back in the day.

Is this confirmed 100% that it's actually the real Ryan/Mark and not just someone trying to impersonate them? Reason I ask is because the domain expired and went for auction, sold for $1,265.00, then went up for sale for $14,995. So it seems odd they would have let it expire only to buy it in auction at a much higher price.

Is this confirmed 100% that it's actually the real Ryan/Mark and not just someone trying to impersonate them? Reason I ask is because the domain expired and went for auction, sold for $1,265.00, then went up for sale for $14,995. So it seems odd they would have let it expire only to buy it in auction at a much higher price.
I believe this is actually Ryan, considering he is on his account on the forums. They probably had a wild plan to revive an old project out of boredom, I mean we are all in quarantine after all.

Actually now that I look at it further the forum does appear to be from one of the previous RunUO sites, probably from when Demise, Hybrid, Connectuo etc was all combined into a single login. I see lot of familiar names and posts going back pretty far. So yeah this may very well be legit. I just felt skeptical at first because of the fact that the domain expired then got bought in auction.

I tried to reset my account and it did work so that pretty much confirms it. I did kinda get banned from Demise back in the day though so could not do much with the account but the fact that it's there and all is a good sign.

Although I'm not a GM who would lead a shard on RunUO or ServUO, both projects helped very well to develop other UO servers. Yes, author Ryan decided to continue developing RunUO after a few years. I guess so. You know, we should remember that RunUO was an emulator that helped many global servers develop their background and individual direction. And I think that other emulators have developed so well thanks to RunUO that they exist today. That is simply a fact and truth. But, this is more of a question, or rather a reflection for Ryan. RunUO probably won't be on top. There is a ServUO that has taken over the whole thing. And that's why, you know, opinion is a good thing, but did anyone write Ryan? Did someone write to this man and ask him what he means and what do you want to do? And did someone write to this person and try to persuade him to do the same project rather than go to another project that works here and has a large database of not only scripts, but also graphic work and development activities? I'm neither GM ServUO nor RunUO. I can not do it. But what I can do is write my opinion. Like everyone here. RunUO was a very good project and still is. There are still many servers that run on RunUO. But in my opinion, There is ServUO and RunUO, why not combine and cooperate? Nobody has said that here yet. And maybe it occurred to you, this idea. But you also need to realize, Ryan has something in store and what he has in turn resulted in the development of ServUO and other emulators. Respect must come first. I'm a longtime developer and I have to say, I respect people who have made the world out of nothing. And there are many that are unknown.

Although I'm not a GM who would lead a shard on RunUO or ServUO, both projects helped very well to develop other UO servers. Yes, author Ryan decided to continue developing RunUO after a few years. I guess so. You know, we should remember that RunUO was an emulator that helped many global servers develop their background and individual direction. And I think that other emulators have developed so well thanks to RunUO that they exist today. That is simply a fact and truth. But, this is more of a question, or rather a reflection for Ryan. RunUO probably won't be on top. There is a ServUO that has taken over the whole thing. And that's why, you know, opinion is a good thing, but did anyone write Ryan? Did someone write to this man and ask him what he means and what do you want to do? And did someone write to this person and try to persuade him to do the same project rather than go to another project that works here and has a large database of not only scripts, but also graphic work and development activities? I'm neither GM ServUO nor RunUO. I can not do it. But what I can do is write my opinion. Like everyone here. RunUO was a very good project and still is. There are still many servers that run on RunUO. But in my opinion, There is ServUO and RunUO, why not combine and cooperate? Nobody has said that here yet. And maybe it occurred to you, this idea. But you also need to realize, Ryan has something in store and what he has in turn resulted in the development of ServUO and other emulators. Respect must come first. I'm a longtime developer and I have to say, I respect people who have made the world out of nothing. And there are many that are unknown.
Honestly, I respect both Runuo and Servuo, Runuo is actually what got me wanting to play UO cause I use to play Demise until I learned about Runuo and customization as a whole, and from there on I was always fiddling around with things, I remember starting off not even knowing the majority of scripting. Servuo did basically pickoff from where Runuo left off, so tbh I always considered Runuo/Servuo to be one, as the majority of us migrated from Runuo. Ryan may have something planned with the former Coders

Yeah have to say RunUO probably got the community to what it is today. There is a lot of the back end stuff that they figured out from the very start that even other emulators have built on over the years. Like if you go deep into the core there's some very advanced stuff like figuring out the gzip huffman tree algorthm and all that for the packet compression, not to mention the encryption stuff that Razor takes care of. Reverse engineering the client to figure all that stuff out is no easy task.

Let's be honest: the only way they're going to get from where RunUO was when they quit to where ServUO is today is to start with ServUO's current code. There, I said it.

That's the nature of open source programming so it's not "wrong" to do but it would be wrong to start taking credit for everything added in the interim.

Let's be honest: the only way they're going to get from where RunUO was when they quit to where ServUO is today is to start with ServUO's current code. There, I said it.

That's the nature of open source programming so it's not "wrong" to do but it would be wrong to start taking credit for everything added in the interim.
Depends on the direction they want to go, ServUO is working on phasing support for older expansions, it might be easier from them to develop from their current base if they plan to keep that functionality in place rather than work backwards from ServUO's current code base.

Unfortunately, this is not possible. ServUO is written mostly by Amateurs and has a number of serious problems that will take a long time to fix. RunUO code has always been stable and smooth, and I really hope that they will continue to work in the same direction. There is a high probability that they will pay attention to the ModernUO and a list of their optimizations from modern frameworks. I do not exclude that they will be ready to smerzhit separate developments of ServUO if those correspond to stability code and design. At the very least, servuo can provide a good ready-made database of ideas, ready-made elements, such as a set of IDs of various elements, sounds, animations, and clilocs - which will significantly save developers time while inspecting OSI shards.
But in any case, maybe nothing will happen at all :)

Without those "amateurs" there would be no UO emulator scene left today. Sure there would be a few shards continuing on with their antiquated backends but it wouldn't support any of the more recent clients.

I see no stability issues with ServUO except for those introduced by custom scripts. Rarely are there issues with the core and those are addressed as soon as they come up. I've got no complaints, especially for a free product where anyone is welcome to contribute improvements.

Without those "amateurs" there would be no UO emulator scene left today. Sure there would be a few shards continuing on with their antiquated backends but it wouldn't support any of the more recent clients.

I see no stability issues with ServUO except for those introduced by custom scripts. Rarely are there issues with the core and those are addressed as soon as they come up. I've got no complaints, especially for a free product where anyone is welcome to contribute improvements.
The few issues I’ve seen with ServUO have mainly comedown the architecture compatibility.

I totally agree with you, ServUO provides a good starting point because there is a powerful set of OSI systems. But at the same time, the redundancy of these systems with not very high-quality code organization creates an additional load on the server, which, if online is good, will lead to problems.
As well as other problems from the category of excess memory, memory leaks, logical errors and crash bugs. Much of this is of course corrected, but often not everything can be noticed by eye, much manifests itself in the process of debugging. And unfortunately, this is one of the main reasons why it will be impossible to take ServUO as a basis.

I wouldn't call the ServUO amatures :( Voxpire -Dexter- Pryo-and the others- took a very basic past server-elevated it to OSI and still continue to give a very nice server. My Opinion

One niche that seems like it needs to be filled is having a UO emulator that lets you do something like original or T2A more accurately. The one thing that makes this hard is the client, as it probably got rid of the gumps used back then. Many people don't remember the old crafting system (for example) where it was just a sideways sliding select menu of items to pick from.

I just notice alot of posts over the years on "how can I run T2A or some other older version". RunUO never did this "too" well even if you set the expansion level. It was never era accurate. I didn't go to the new site and read any mission statements, but this course of action for an emulator could be possible...as it would be something different than ServUO staying with current UO.

I wouldn't call the ServUO amatures :( Voxpire -Dexter- Pryo-and the others- took a very basic past server-elevated it to OSI and still continue to give a very nice server. My Opinion
Do not take my words to heart, I spoke about it in General and did not mean to offend anyone, and did not talk about individuals. ServUO takes its proper place anyway, giving players the opportunity to enjoy the capabilities of modern OSI, and that's a good thing.
Let's see what RunUO can offer us and whose development we can use in the future.

I was known as KillerBeeZ in the beforetime. I ran the original Pandora shard and while I wasn't a part of the dev team, I worked on my share of scripts... literally thousands of them.

I was a part of the RunUO community from nearly the beginning and loved the opportunities that arose.

I'm behind Ryan's project 100%
I'm also behind this one... this really looks good. You have all done a wonderful job.

I have been out of the loop for quite a while, but my love of UO hasn't diminished one bit, more so than UO though is my love for the community.

THAT is what I suspect Ryan is going for.

RunUO had one of the largest communities filled with some of the most awesome minds I had ever seen back in the day. The cooperation involved and focused into a single purpose was impressive.

It's not just the server or Ultima Online that made RunUO awesome... it was the people involved.

I still have the Pandora shard, not aged a single day since 2008 zipped up and ready to deploy.

Back