I am tentatively searching for help with shard development. I have been working on a project on and off (mostly off) for about five years now, and am relatively near to completion. I am not a scripter by any stretch, but have managed to teach myself enough to accomplish most of my desired features by using and modifying the scripts of others.

Though I have managed to implement much more than I would have thought possible on my own, with ample help from the RunUO and ServUO communities (to whom owe a large debt of gratitude), I have hit a few walls in my progress. Nothing major, mostly a few features I wish to include, and some scripts I cannot get to work. This is largely limited to a few lines of code here and there, and some tweaking, though I would be open to new ideas, systems, etc., as long as they fit the focus, theme and aesthetic. I do not want to add or change anything simply to attract more players, and am realistic in my expectations in that area. I am searching for someone(s) with scripting experience and experience running, or helping to run, a shard who can offer some scripting assistance, general advice, and help with getting it up and running. Someone who understands what I am trying to accomplish. I travel as a way of life and have only a laptop, so I will need to set up a dedicated server. It would also be useful just to talk with someone experienced about this project.

This is a bit of a niche project, a labor of love and a homage to certain of the original single player games of the Ultima series, with a few of my own additions/expansions of certain lore elements. Much more Ultima than UO. As such it has a rather narrow, specific focus, and some features may be a bit controversial for many Ultima Online fans. Fans of the original Ultima single player series might find it particularly interesting.

Basic Shard Info:

Emulator: RunUO 2.2
Era: LBR (though this is not an attempt at recreating a particular era).
Focus: Immersion and Roleplay. Persistent Ultima-based environment with little staff intervention.
Aesthetic: Old-school aesthetic, simple, no bright colors. Quaint might be the right word.
PvP: Open (of a sort, though PvP is de-emphasized)
Class System: I have included a class system (skill-based, no levels).
Map: One facet, one map. Slightly customized version of Felucca (modified using CentrED). No custom graphics. As such, unfortunately, it cannot really compete with some of the stunning custom work I have seen posted here, though I think the original graphics have a certain charm and nostalgia of their own. I am not using the Lost Lands.​

If this strikes anyone as something with which they might wish to be involved with and lend a bit of scripting (or other) talent or advice to, or even if you a find the concept interesting, please drop me a PM. I would prefer to discuss the details in person. I have created an extensive development wiki (and another, more professional wiki for release), including a simple one-page breakdown of the shard features: those I have succeeded in implementing, those I know how to do and am working on, and those with which I require assistance. I can send a link to this, to provide a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish.

Back