xG00BERx

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I think I have found the main issue that deters me and my friends (small group of four of us) is that most of the servers that ever advertise that they are "OSI Accurate" or strive to be of that nature then they do not follow through, whether it be corrupt staff or something of other nature etc.

The number one thing I want to get into is I agree that ServUO is great and amazing but I think downloading a fresh copy and running it live and saying you have Imbue and all SA and some High Seas etc is where everything goes wrong.

I am looking for a server that actually will take ServUO and even though it has content far beyond ML I still think ML needs work and even some things before that, my main thing is I think people need to slowly work into things and not claim to have so much, show me a server that is willing to start ML and slowly move forward with updates and do them RIGHT and make sure that they WORK 100% before they release and I will be there and love that server.

Just my thoughts, what are yours? This is why I currently play Demise.... They actually do updates and test and test and test before release to make sure its almost 100% perfect.

Not that it is a server to play on, but this is kinda what im doing with the test server, trying to go back and get some things correct before adding new stuff. As an example, Dryad Allure is not working right and was disabled a while back. That should have been fixed long ago.

Does Demise have it working? Last I saw it was disabled in RunUO as well.

This is along the lines of a comment I made on another thread, that one of the most irritating things about servers advertising is when they claim they have this and that customs, as if they are unique from the rest.. and come to find out everything they have is just pulled scripts from the forums, and standard Distro content..

I agree, things need to be taken a bit slower though. Its kinda misleading to say that, because I think a lot of folks would be thinking that progress is way too slow as it is. But in reality, I think things have slowed down because a lot of stuff was still left unfinished before moving on to the next publish or erra.. Like you said, a good bit of ML content is still unfinished or broken.. yet the development stage has already moved on to SA and even HS.

That is the fastest way to burning out in my opinion, when development skips passed completion on one area into the next.. partial completion again, yet jumps to the next erra, and so on. Next thing you know, there are bug lists that grow faster than anyone can keep up with, and BAM! Developers run and hide.

My big problem with helping out the distro package is that I use a custom map, so nearly everything I have going on is tweaked and tailored to my map.. Its hard enough to keep up with my own needs, let alone back up to an OSI setting, code some stuff, only to recode it again to work with my map.

But, I am just about to break down and do just that.. I honestly feel like we need a fresh team of developers around here.. I mean, seriously.. what happened to the original developers? There was what, @Insanity, @Toriad , @otimpyre , @RoninGT , @Anonymous , and @Dougan Ironfist . .. .. How is it that they all just disappear? Has anyone any idea whats going on there? I do not think I have seen anyone of them other than Insanity, post here since I have been a member, to be honest.

What can we do to get a developer team back together? The worse part though, is Insanity having sole control over everything and is never here.

Hope this doesnt upset anyone.. Im just voicing my opinion on how I see things currently. Not trying to stir up any arguments or anything. I just desperately want to see ServUO thrive.

There was a time where I was nick picking (or however you say it) every little thing down to the durability on ML artifacts and shit like that but I got fed up with helping when everyone was working on their own latest content which is cool but stupid things like peerless bosses don't even work right, how can you advertise High Seas and Stygian Abyss when you can't even kill a swoop or a Lady M without getting wrong loot or wrong drop rates if they even drop ya know?

There was one fellow who was doing exactly what I was doing Dayne or Danne or something and he was helping touch up stuff but its just so simple and I don't know if he is still around or not but that guy has my respects because he did everything he could to make everything as accurate as possible.

Not that it is a server to play on, but this is kinda what im doing with the test server, trying to go back and get some things correct before adding new stuff. As an example, Dryad Allure is not working right and was disabled a while back. That should have been fixed long ago.

Does Demise have it working? Last I saw it was disabled in RunUO as well.

I believe it does work, UOGamers Demise and RUNUO are two separate things it seems (I think). UOGamers Demise has all of the Peerless bosses except Paraxomous or whatever all completely implemented and when they put them in, they work 95% of the time 100% accurate lol

They also have Runics for both Tailoring and Smithing + Saws and Fletching Kits etc all working 100% with the colored wood etc.

They work very well the very first time they put them in its not patch after patch after patch etc.

My main point is I wish things would get done right the first time before going into a server and if they don't it doesn't take months on end to fix because it was put in and practically made the game unfair because its so broken.

Am I the only one of the opinion we should be leading them, and not they us? Our community is undoubtedly larger, more diverse in perspective, and probably contains more raw talent than any of the development teams since Origins. Remember how we had races long before UO ever started putting out these shitty elven and gargoyle races? Remember how we had druid magic long before any off the spell-weaving shit? Remember that we had working cannons long before high seas? Remember how we had spell-crafting long before imbuing?

They used to follow our lead - what happened? This is why every effort I make is to move away from their shitty excuse for a game that they ruined, trying to pander every audience they could for a dollar, instead of holding true to the ideals of the original developers. Even their art looks like shit now.

Last edited:
Am I the only one of the opinion we should be leading them, and not they us? Our community is undoubtedly larger, more diverse in perspective, and probably contains more raw talent than any of the development teams since Origins. Remember how we had races long before UO ever started putting out these shitty elven and gargoyle races? Remember how we had druid magic long before any off the spell-weaving shit? Remember that we had working cannons long before high seas? Remember how we had spell-crafting long before imbuing?

They used to follow our lead - what happened? This is why every effort I make is to move away from their shitty excuse for a game that they ruined, trying to pander every audience they could for a dollar, instead of holding true to the ideals of the original developers. Even their art looks like shit now.

I agree, we should be leading the way in a lot of ways but then we take one look and realize we can't even keep up with the little content that they have added, lets fix that before we go trying to "Lead the way"

Maybe I am just dreaming of an ideal server that won't happen.

A lot of UO things up to this point have been ok, I love High Seas but don't like Stygians Abyss so much but if you ask me there is a lot of things that just need to be fixed that are being overlooked if you ask me.

UO Free Servers are a joke and its because lack of knowledgeable staff + shitty scripts thrown together + unbalanced gameplay usually because of scripts

UO Free Servers are not a joke. They are the life blood of what you might call community. I've played some amazing games, made by some amazing people and you have no business generalizing their efforts. You could not hope to accomplish what some of these men and women have done, and nor could I.

I don't know what this we shit is. I don't see you making any commits to the repository, or any contributions what so ever aside from your unfounded opinions on other people's work. It's people like you, too busy complaining about other people not doing work, to do any of your own, that produce stagnant replications of game with infinite potential.

it might be that some of us lacking knowledge are shitty.. but free servers are great. and the people that run them. usually for free have to be commended for their efforts to provide. course i know i dont have room to talk. i was a "shitty" staff member. but remember that their effort is what keeps uo alive.

From what I have heard some free servers are pulling in over 500.00 per week in donations alone, so there are free server's who are doing something correct. There are just sooo many free server's these days so the population is really divided. Yes plenty have staff who either do nothing or just don't care and this would be the number one complaint or just staff who do as they please and the owner's just allow it :/ Another thought, many want to see all the new "stuff" on a server ML and SA, along with evo's and pets which level up-custom leather's and ore's, they will out right ask for these systems.

I believe it does work, UOGamers Demise and RUNUO are two separate things it seems (I think).

Can't say currently, but they have been the same for years. Its a shame they are fixing things and not sharing those fixes with the community. It seems many people are out for themselves instead of providing and sharing fixes and updates - which is totally contrary to the idea of open source.

So much wasted time when 20 people are all working on the same fix and don't bother to share. It's the reason we are now behind EA, instead of blazing the path like we did for so many years, just like Enroq pointed out. Imagine what we would have if people worked together instead of competing with each other.

One problem you will find is lack of accurate information on alot of these systems.

I remeber for a fact in my days playing on osi that Dreadhorn would drop both human and elf Fay Leggins however there was no official release of information stating this was possible.

Unless someone is going to sit on Osi test something then create a fix for it then it is impossible to make anything truly 100% accurate.

As far as creating a true OSI clone i honestly don't see the point no matter how accurate you get things to OSI your never going to beat it in terms of population.. People play freeshards because they don't want true osi content they play it for the diversity that they offer.

my 2 cents

When you get right down to it, there is no true OSI clone.. the commercial servers vary from one to the next in ways too. They are not all identical content.

When Krrios left RunUO, everything changed. I dont know why this is confusing. The "Founder of RunUO" in my opinion, Never had sharing in mind in the true sense. RunUO was just his way of building a community of suckers to play on his shards, and make him money. At least, that is how it sure seems, looking back on it all. We were deserted years ago.

Oh, my point was.. ah hell I dunno, ryan sucks I guess :p

Oh yeah, that the organization of keeping the EMU progressing is kinda up to us. I think what needs to be done is to somehow organize what bugs are out there, what is broken/incomplets, and create some form of a way to let the 'community' know that you are working on one, so no one else needs to duplicate it.
We need organized anyways.. somehow

One problem you will find is lack of accurate information on alot of these systems.

I remeber for a fact in my days playing on osi that Dreadhorn would drop both human and elf Fay Leggins however there was no official release of information stating this was possible.

Unless someone is going to sit on Osi test something then create a fix for it then it is impossible to make anything truly 100% accurate.

As far as creating a true OSI clone i honestly don't see the point no matter how accurate you get things to OSI your never going to beat it in terms of population.. People play freeshards because they don't want true osi content they play it for the diversity that they offer.

my 2 cents

I have an OSI account for that very purpose.

But for the most part, I agree with you. However, I think it is important to have an OSI clone, at least as the basis for the emulator. You want people making the transition from OSI to the freeshards to feel comfortable with the play. Otherwise, why have an emulator at all? Lets just develop a new game!

I think a common base of an OSI clone and then freeshard owners are free to branch out and make changes / additions as they wish. If we dont use OSI as a common base, then why have RunUO or ServUO at all? Just tell everyone to make their own emulator.

Ravenwolfe said:
It seems many people are out for themselves instead of providing and sharing fixes and updates - which is totally contrary to the idea of open source.

I've thought about this idea for quite some time, and I think it's something that every shard owner / developer considers at one time or another.

At one level you want to contribute to a community that gives so much, but on another level many free shards compete for their player bases. So each shard has to decide if it will feed back fixes. I think a lot of shards customize so much that even though they fix things, it may be extra work to feedback fixes that only apply to the vanilla release because they have to diff their scripts and test them against the vanilla release.

Another consideration is that of custom systems. A shard may wish to release a custom system, but it can be a lot of work to put together instructions for vanilla ServUO especially if it requires core mods. Many people who want to use the system require assistance getting it working. Supporting them takes time as well.

As a shard scriptor and someone who has released systems in the past, I look at the time it will take to do a nice release and I also look at what sets our shard apart from others. Some systems (such as our system that allows players to dual wield weapons), consist entirely of core mods. I don't release those because they set us apart and I don't want to support them. The releases would consist entirely of instructions.

Some systems are easy to modify for the vanilla release, and don't really set the shard apart or they are staff oriented and players won't see them. I released our captcha system because it fit into this category.

Some systems were developed by my predecessors and I don't feel like I can release them without permission.

I do feel like there are shards out there that could feed the OSI content they have copied back into the community but they don't because they are competing. This truly is tragic because they are building off so much of other people's work.

The last thing to consider is players who download the scripts their shard uses and read through the source code to find exploits. There are some shards that are hesitant to release code because they don't want their players to have it.

Last edited:
However, I think it is important to have an OSI clone, at least as the basis for the emulator.
Agree Ravenwolfe! Sure would be nice if more would step forward to help with the bug's which have been posted, or those who have fixed bugs- I have to "Thank You" again for helping to get ServUO updated with these fixes :)

Back