1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ServUO is upgrading to .net 4.6.1

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by dmurphy, Dec 5, 2016.

1. darklotus

darklotus Member

Its not far off.
    Ultima.dll can be ported to .netcore1.1 with almost no code changes at all.

The Server and Scripts for the most part its no issues, anything missing is a nuget package away for the most part. but .netcore1.1 does not have XMLTextWriter and XMLTextReader, they are slated for .net core 1.2 though.

If you want to mess around it is possible to get things working now using some preview packages etc off nuget, but i only managed to get it running on windows, linux some dependancies were always missing. So best to wait for .net core 1.2

2. brrm

Silver Donator

Just came back from a break, I hope everyone had a nice Christmas/Holidays/New Years! I like the sound of the upgrade, it looks very nice.

How is it going so far?
    will it be merged sometime soon (if it hasn't been already), to the main branch?

I'm getting ready for the update! Very good job to all, adding and bug reporting! You people are the best!! One day i hope i can contribute, as it's so fun, even though it can be frustrating at times. lol :)

3. argalep

ServUO Developer

@Dexter_Lexia

I have been using the Framework 4.6.1 version for a long time on my server (Windows Server 2012 R2). It is stable. We can also use the main repo.

4. Tasanar

Moderator ServUO Developer

That was suggested as a "couple week" process over a year ago.

@argalep is your server on 24/7?

Just want to make sure this is truly safe before it is the only version that is supported.

5. argalep

ServUO Developer

yes my server is active 24/7. I have not had any problems so far.

• Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 1
  6. XeroX

XeroX Member

Running @ 4.7.1.

Attached Files:

7. Dexter_Lexia

Mine says Compiled for .NET MONO/CSC/UNKNOWN

8. XeroX

XeroX Member

This is correct when you compile with Compile.Win.bat, CSC or Mono (mcs). I'm not able to automatically detect the .NET TargetVersion if not compiled with Visual Studio.

I can adjust Compile.Win.bat https://github.com/ServUO/ServUO/blob/master/Compile.WIN.bat

Right now it uses csc.exe from DotNet v4.0.30319 folder so you can add /d:NETFX_40. Actually csc.exe supports C# 5. So TargetVersion should actually be .NET 4.5 as you cannot specify this with csc.exe (which is deprecated by the way)

It should look like this:
    Code (C#):
    1. %CSCPATH%csc.exe /win32icon:"%SRVPATH%servuo.ico" /r:"%CURPATH%Ultima.dll" /target:exe /out:"%CURPATH%ServUO.exe" /recurse:"%SRVPATH%*.cs" /d:ServUO /d:NEWTIMERS /d:DEBUG /d:NETFX_40 /nowarn:0618 /debug /nologo /optimize /unsafe
    Changes are /d:DEBUG, added to define this is a DEBUG Build and /d:NETFX_40 to define this is compiled with .NET 4.0

This has been adjusted in this PR: https://github.com/ServUO/ServUO/pull/3066 but noone is reviewing my stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#28 XeroX, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  9. Dexter_Lexia

Oh ok, cool. I have no idea how to compile in Visual Studio.

10. XeroX

XeroX Member

Yeah...as you can see the PR is closed. I merged this with a new pull request, to get no conflict and finally sync build options.

https://github.com/ServUO/ServUO/pull/3112

EDIT: Additionally as you asked in a PR. @Dexter_Lexia

TravisCI starts working again as there are successfull requests. When TravisCI runs in an error it stops showing the build status. I submitted this PR that solves the problem. As it had successful builds the integration starts showing up again.

#30 XeroX, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018