ServUO Web Version 2

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Bit of excitement here at ServUO tonight. This announcement is not about the ServUO emulator repo, it is about the website.

For the past while I have been working on an improved web experience here at ServUO and have finally completed enough to release what I have. The biggest change you will see is the style of the website, it is a lot different I know, but it is MUCH faster than before and much easier to work with. There may be a few issues with some things not displaying correctly. Please let me know if you find any though I am pretty sure I got most of the bugs.

The second new feature is the ServUO Shard List. I am very excited about this one. I worked through the weekend getting this ready and while it is missing a few features I would like to have I feel it is complete enough to release version 1 of it. It will get much better over time including a replacement for the original UOGateway by mr fixit and ConnectUO by jeff. More on this later though.

You can find the shardlist here. I hope everyone here will add their shard so we can test the system.

Current features of the shardlist:
  • Add/edit your shard
  • Add descriptive information on your shard. This is basic right now but in the future you will be able to create a description using bb codes. This will allow you to create a listing as easy as a post here.
  • Shard voting. Shard voting works a little different here at ServUO. Each user is given a bank of 3 votes. Once a user has votes for those 3 shards then they may not vote for another shard until they remove a vote from another shard. This will limit cheating whereby the same user on the same shard votes every day upping the shard votes by one at a time. You might recognise this system from UOGateway, however there each user has just one vote. You may only use one of your votes on a shard.
  • Shard favorites. This is different to voting, it just adds that shard to your favorite list which you can view. You can favorite unlimited shards.
  • Shard poller. This polls the shards everytime data is requested with a cache time of 5 minutes and then updates the database. Not much else to say here!
  • I am sure I missed something as I am terrible for keeping notes while coding :)
Anyway, that is pretty much it for now. have fun on the new site and make sure your report any bugs!

Jack

Squire
Sep 23, 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
Shard Name
Lost Lands
I have put my shard up, but there appears to be a problem. When I click "edit shard", select my shard and hit submit, I get logged out and given an error that this is not my shard.

I connect through Facebook login if that makes a difference.

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
I have put my shard up, but there appears to be a problem. When I click "edit shard", select my shard and hit submit, I get logged out and given an error that this is not my shard.

I connect through Facebook login if that makes a difference.
Hmm. I just tested it and it seems to be fine on my end. It is quite possible though that it is an issue with the facebook connect feature. I will look into that.

Thanks for reporting that!

Milva

Admin
Mar 3, 2013
Donate
Donate money to this user
This is so Awesome!! Big Thank You for all the time you have spent getting ServUO updated, plus the all new shard list!!

Po0ka

Knight
Aug 19, 2014
Antarctica
I was lost at first, but it's way easier to navigate, bye mega-menu! xD

Also would there be any way to not make profile pictures circled?
This bugs me to the deepness of my soul for estetic reasons.

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
I was lost at first, but it's way easier to navigate, bye mega-menu! xD

Also would there be any way to not make profile pictures circled?
This bugs me to the deepness of my soul for estetic reasons.
I can work on a toggle switch to turn that on and off. I will turn it off by default for now though as I understand some people put a lot of time into their avatars and would hate to see some of it cut off.

Milva

Admin
Mar 3, 2013
Donate
Agree some may not like the round so a toggle to switch on and off would work :)

Hank

Knight
Nov 14, 2013
Earth
Is there a way to change themes? This white background is making my eyes bleed at night.

Dian

Knight
Nov 7, 2013
Shard Name
Ancient Legends
Donate
Awesome man, Looks terrific!

*was in a rush, and was all I could get out at the moment there.. but,

I really like the revamp, much cleaner and easy on the eyes. Definitely can see some hard work and effort here for sure! I know a lot of folks have been anxiously waiting for the Shard Watch, and so far it looks fantastic!

Seriously again. very well done! I wish you the best! I know its going to be awesome :D

Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy

Hammerhand

Knight
Mar 26, 2013
I will create an alternate darker version of the theme when I get time for you guys with the weak eyes!
I dont have weak eyes, but I've worked nights for 14 years. Darker is better in my case. I'm not a real big fan of the firey orb of visual pain in the sky anymore (yes, I fear walking outside during the day as I might burst into flame like a Vampire). :D

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Awesome man, Looks terrific!

*was in a rush, and was all I could get out at the moment there.. but,

I really like the revamp, much cleaner and easy on the eyes. Definitely can see some hard work and effort here for sure! I know a lot of folks have been anxiously waiting for the Shard Watch, and so far it looks fantastic!

Seriously again. very well done! I wish you the best! I know its going to be awesome :D
Yeah, I dropped the ball with Shard.Watch. I have started over from scratch on that project like 5 times now. The shard list is one module that will be incorporated into the final product though. So I guess v1 of the shardlist is v.0.0.1 of shard.watch :p

Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: Milva

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
I have just released a new feature on the shardlist. You can now export stats from the database in a json format. For example if we visit the url:
http://www.servuo.com/shards/24/export

You are greeted with a json array filled with all the data available for the shard with the ID of 24. You can find this ID by checking the url bar when you are on a shards page.

Code:
{"ID":24,"Name":"Vita-Nex: Freedom","status":"online","votes":2,"ip":"play.uofreedom.com","port":"2593","banner":"http:\/\/www.uofreedom.com\/ShardList.png","description":"A unique and highly customised High Seas era shard, leading the way in feature innovation.","website":"http:\/\/www.uofreedom.com\/","players":41,"peak":48,"Core":"RunUO"}
From this data we can do some cool stuff. The main attraction is now shard owners can very easily place shard stats on there own website including how many players are currently connected or if the shard is up or down.

Here is an example I just wrote in php to check if the shard is online or offline
PHP:
<?php
$ServerID = 24;
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, false);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL,"http://www.servuo.com/shards/".$ServerID."/export");
$result=curl_exec($ch);
url_close($ch);
$result = json_decode($result, true);

if ($result["status"] == "online"):?>
<p>The server is currently: <span style="color:green;"> Online</span></p>;
<?php else: ?>
<p>The server is currently: <span style="color:red;">Offline </span></p>;
<?php endif; ?>
It is that easy, you just set the shard ID at the top and it will grab your shards status and display it on your web page. If you want to include this data on a web page you can just use php include.

For example if you save the code as shardStatus.php you would include this code in the location you want to show the data
PHP:
<php
include 'shardStatus.php';
?>
If you would like any more examples please let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack