1) Richard Garriot is a gold digger, I don't trust him
2) The game sucks: pay to have, old(bad) graphic, old gameplay... still in developement

I've been on a pledge for it since ... 2 years or so? (shudder, so long?) Just because ... nostalgia and I wanted him to give a chance at something he has experience with (versus Tabula Rasa, which was ok-ish but no idea how the original, scraped version played, I thought it looked much for interesting).
By now I would say ... don't pledge, it is really ridiculous shoulder patting, the game is utterly amateurish in feel, extremely rudimentary - and they spend time on doing ingame high res book covers ! big news! - not fun at all, generic and boring. I'm glad I didn't need that money ... I've come to believe that Tabula Rasa was so good looking and professional feeling DESPITE Garriot's involvement and I've no clue who turned the wheel with UO but Garriott can't have had so much impact - except giving the name/lore and being a sales person. I'd put my money by now on Gordon Walton as the one responsible for UO turning out as good as it was.

Ps: If anyone is interested in pledging for some UO-like thing ... I recommend looking into Shards Online. No kidding, a commercial UO-like free-shard system, fully and legally mod-able. I haven't pledged, but they are definitely on my radar. http://shardsonline.com/

I don't think Garriot can pull off another great game - UO was his one shot.

And looking at the Shards Online forum it seems to be the same PvP/PvM arguments as always... just a rehash of the Tram/Fel arguments. I may keep an eye on them, but won't hold my breathe :)

Glad I have Guild Wars 2, for the days I have good enough internet to connect... which ain't often ha ha (damn Philippines lack of connection)

Shards Online gives(will give) the possibility to create worlds with their own rules , it's not just about playing. After all there's a reason if we are on ServUO's forum.

Shards Online gives(will give) the possibility to create worlds with their own rules , it's not just about playing. After all there's a reason if we are on ServUO's forum.

So will I be able to treat Shards Online like ServUO where its customizable in pretty much every way? And host our own servers, more and more companies seem to be contraction out server farms to get people to host from them. I haven't looked into the game too much...

So will I be able to treat Shards Online like ServUO where its customizable in pretty much every way? And host our own servers, more and more companies seem to be contraction out server farms to get people to host from them. I haven't looked into the game too much...
I don't think it will be customizable like ServUO is. ServUO is completely opensource and the client is the only limitation(a big one, to me), on the other hand ShardsOnline uses Lua(I really don't like that part) as scripting language for the server, so, i guess it will more like POL or Sphere are compared to RunUO.
You better look on their forums for more information : )
I don't want to do advertising or anything, I have doubts myself about what Shard Online will be ^^

I was very excited about shards online but the excitement kinda got lost after a while. I would rather sit in visual studio all day with my c# than notepad++ and lua :p

I don't think it will be customizable like ServUO is. ServUO is completely opensource and the client is the only limitation(a big one, to me), on the other hand ShardsOnline uses Lua(I really don't like that part) as scripting language for the server, so, i guess it will more like POL or Sphere are compared to RunUO.
You better look on their forums for more information : )
I don't want to do advertising or anything, I have doubts myself about what Shard Online will be ^^

That is what I don't want :-( Thanks for the info!

Back