I've been meddling around with XML spawner for quite some time. And there some very common frustrations that present themselves whilst trying to create code.

Inaccessible spawners:
You can invest quite some time in a spawner, then all of a sudden, upon closing you're faced with the complete inability to reopen it and code.

Spawner cascade:
This occurs from time time after closing spawner, but only if you've previously being working on multiple spawners during that time. Essentially, you'll find that all of them reopen one by one, rather quickly to the extent that it can crash you out. If you aren't, then you're faced with innumerable XMLspawner windows to close.

Copy-paste malfunction
The wise man, always makes sure to write their code offline in Note, so that there is always a copy independent of the spawner. It also much easier to paste into the journals that XML spawner uses. However, at times (If the code is large enough) a couple things can happen:

-You get partial pastes
-The client will crash and you'll lose anything you pasted/a partial paste.

Can any of you codey-sorts explain why these malfunctions are occuring? Neck-deep as I am in our current project at The Expanse, it's proved be sufficiently annoying to want know why they're happening. Although, I get the very strong suspicion that there is precious little that can be done about it, though.

Yeah, I know it. He'd been assisting Tass on some queries. But, much like the mystical haggis, native to my lands, he's a hard one to capture. :p

That XML, though. Ruddy headaches sometimes, eh?

Here is my take on those issues.

Innaccessible Spawners- not sure WHY it happens but if you log out/in you can normally access them again. I have found that
someties you have to totally shutdown the UO Client and restart it. These two things will normally make
the spawner available to edit again.

Spawner Gump Cascades- It seems to me this occurs when you have made an error in your entries AND the spawner was on when
when you made it. With this issue you can just log out/in and the windows cascades will stop.

Copy/Paste Malfunction- I would guess this has something to do with a buffer size not being large enough to accomodate but a
certain amount of text at a time. Same thing happens if you try to paste text into local chat. It will only
take so much text at a time. I've never had a crash occur due to it though.

They are irritating issues but I'd rather have XML in its current state than not at all. :)

Back