Hi Folks.

I've been an on and off user of UO and UO emulation almost since the beginning when UO first came out.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to be able to get my server up and running (I'm going to start over from scratch so I'll have the latest versions of everything) so a few friends & I can enjoy the game some more. Recently as the itch to play again got me motivated a few thoughts came to mind and I wanted to ask here in hopes that some of you might be able to give me some advice.

I was tinkering with UO98 over the last day or so and while its pretty cool seeing UO as it was during its early years, the client kept crashing so I decided to return to using a more up to date server/client.

What I'd like to know about ServUO is the following...

1. Is it possible to emulate UO as it was back in T2A or pre T2a without having to be a programmer and changing a lot of code or scripting? Essentially the game mechanics is what I'm talking about. I think it was AOS that added all these new rules and features that made the game too cumbersome (to me at least). I'm not sure if ServUO can simply be set via a cfg file or command to emulate the old UO set of rules compared to something AOS or later. This isn't too big of a deal, if worse comes to worse, I'll just get used to the current way the game plays.

2. Is it possible to populate/decorate just the original Britannia map and to somehow have any links or teleporters, etc... to other maps/worlds disabled?

3. Client Question: When I saw the UO:KR client my jaw dropped. The graphics looked amazing. I almost got back into the official game at that point. Then a year or so later it was scrapped. What I wanted to ask is if it is possible to use the UO:KR client with the latest ServUO and if so is there any information on how to make it work? I'd love to check out those graphics from that client.

4. If the KR client does not work, what is the suggested client to use? I thought I read ServUO can use the latest official client, but I cant find that info anymore so maybe I mis-read what I saw the other day.

Well, thats my questions. I appreciate any advice or info anyone can give me .

Thanks,
John

1. Yes, its possible. No, it will take a lot of scripting but don't let that be a reason not to do it. Its a wonderful way to learn.

2. Yes, totally possible.

3. The "EC" client has some support but still has many issues. I'm not a fan of 3D clients so someone else can chime in more information here.

4. A lot of different client versions can be used. The current one is supported very well in ServUO but most older clients will work as well. If you use Razor, you can not use a client prior to 4.0.0. You can use an older client if you don't use an assistant and use a program that decrypts the client first. A lot of shards use the current client even on an older ERA shard to prevent the need to distribute a client.

I'm a big fan of older ERA's so I would be happy to answer any questions if you need more detail.

Ravenwolfe,

Thanks for the answers, I truly appreciate it. Your response to #1 has led me to one more (related) question. :)

Coding/Scripting: If learned is it then possible to perhaps lets say create a custom ruleset? Different combat mechanics, leveling, etc? Not sure if I'd ever have the time or ability to do such a task, but I'm just curious. The old UO gameplay of the late 90s to around 2001 or so would be perfect so I'll have to look into running a T2A or earlier type system.

Thanks again for all your answers.
John
[doublepost=1473207521][/doublepost]Oh and I'd love to be able to run the KR client even for just a short bit to see what it was really like. From all the screenshots I saw it looked really amazing! I cannot believe it was so disliked and dropped so fast, but thats probably because I haven't actually used it, hence why I was asking about using it on ServUO just to see what it was actually like to use. :)

Just to help you out. Ec client newest will not work with any loader out there any more. as they changed it so will take a hex editor to do it.

Also Scripting you can learn it might take you a year or so to get good at it. but learning is all the best part and people will help you when needed.

Pretty much anything is possible once you learn scripting. Many of the freeshards out there have modified rulesets, combat, leveling, taming, skills, spells, etc. You are limited only by the client and your imagination (and sometimes not even the client limits you).

I think there are a few shards out there that currently support the 3d client. Im sure you could try it on one of those.

HE could try a shard has 3d but if he updated his Ec client it wont work. I checked every ones loader out there so best is to use a hex editor to edit ip to join a shard that supports ec.

Like my shard supports EC my post is on the shards looking for players. but I don't have a loader to give your because of the newest client.

I was thinking some might have an older EC client on their website for download, tho I could be totally wrong, I despise the EC client, lol.

is there any info on using the hex editor? What file to look in, etc...? I've used hex editors before so that part wouldn't be hard. Whether the data is obvious as in text 192.168.1.1 or in hex might be the only part that can be a pain. :)
[doublepost=1473225397][/doublepost]Actually, I've been testing with the 2D client and its not bad, but is there a way to get full screen on 1080p without that large area of black with the small actual viewable area of the game? I recall reading that the EC allows the game to scale to 100% of the screen. If thats the case, I'd like to use the EC or more preferably the KR client (at least for a little bit to check out what it was like.) :)
[doublepost=1473271473][/doublepost]I got the UO: High Seas client working on my server. I'm guessing this is the same graphics as the KR client. If so, I don't understand why it was so hated. I actually like it a lot. I understand tradition and nostalgia and I am guilty of both as well, but in the case of UO having the classic client available and then this newer awesome looking KR/HS client seems like a great bonus. Alas, I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to liking that KR graphical upgrade to the system. :)

Thanks for any info.
John

Last edited:
Back