I dont know if I am alone on this, but for the longest time I could not get Spawn Editor to work on anything newer than Windows XP. Well I no longer have an XP system to run it with, and it left me in limbo.
I use Spawn Editor to do the bulk spawns of the world, and then go in game for the fine tuning. It is a must have for any shard with a custom map, and something I have really been missing.

I finally got determined to figure out what the problem was, and it was so stupid simple. I really have not heard much of anyone talk about this program since Arte Gordon disappeared from the community back in 2006 I believe, as he was the last one to evolve the program source into what it is today. I have a source to it, but it is from before he had expanded on it, making mine a dinosaur... like an apple II computer (if anyone here even knows what that is, lol)

So below here is Spawn Editor2 v_1.8 I believe the last public released version.

To get it to run, unpack the zip files to your folder of choice. Open it, and Right click the Setup.bat file, and select edit. You should get a notepad with some text at top.

There are 2 entries for the UOMap.ocx registery..

REGSVR32 /U UOMap.ocx
REGSVR32 UOMap.ocx

Edit the second entry by including the absolute path of this containing folder that has this UOMap.ocx file, ie:
REGSVR32 "C:\SpawnEditor2\UOMap.ocx"
*only an example, your file path will differ*

Be sure to enclose the file path with quotation marks, save and close the file.
Run the Setup.Bat file, and you should get a DOS console and a message saying succeeded to load the files.

You should now be able to open/run the SpawnEditor2.exe and have the program open and work.

I will try to offer whatever support I can for anyone having issues with this, but please understand that I did not create this, nor can I begin to claim to know the probable problems that other people and systems may encounter. But with any luck, this will allow some shard developers a better way to spawn their world in a much more controlled environment.

There are several Read Me and Help files within the Zip package for further assistance, and again, I can try to offer support as much as possible. If anyone out there has the source to this current version, please let me know!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• SpawnEditor2v1.8.rar
    1.7 MB · Views: 150
For anyone reading this, scratching their head wondering what the heck Spawn Editor is...

It is a stand alone program that gives a map overview for you to create XML Spawners. It offers a variety of properties you can set on the spawner, including mobiles, items, min/max times, ranges and much more.
You can make as many spawners as you wish, then save to a file and import them in game with a simple command.

There is more to it as well, which includes an XML Trans Server that links the Spawn Editor program with your current LIVE shard, allowing you to edit, import/export spawners on the fly.. it will link to your admin character, folowing the characters location with the programs map view, and much more.

Eventually, I will see about getting this extra script updated and working as well, and with any luck release it for you all to use too. It is out dated right now though and inoperable.

Great resource, thanks for updating this! If you can get Trans Server working, I'll buy your dinner! It is incredibly useful, but I have no source code for it.

I have it, just a matter of going through the code and updating it to current syntax.. and if I am able. If not, I will pass it along for someone that is ;)

The TransServer scripts, that is.. not Spawn Editor. My spawn editor source is way older than what Arte left us with..

I did find one higher version of it though, v1.8 and will repost it a bit later when I can test it. Not certain what was really done different between them, but sure its something worth while.

Working on the TransServer script.. Does anyone here have any sort of experience with the Tcp protocol? The System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp has been changed up since this was created, and is the final bit to get this going again.. I am trying to get a handle on it on the msdn site... and I with any luck I can get through it, but if anyone around knows somethin about it already, it would be wonderful.

Thanks

I just realized though.. without the source to the Spawn Editor, even updating the TransServer scripts with the correct Tcp protocol, the Spawn Editor program itself is still almost certainly going to have he old syntax hard coded, and inoperable.. I guess short of calling up a CIA friend to track down Arte.. its worthless.. Sorry guys, were stuck with the limited 32Bit Spawn Editor as a stand alone program. But thats better than nothing.

Here is what I have so far for the Trans Server script package.

For those that do not know, it is what links the Spawn Editor program with the running Shard, similar to Pandora's Box. (hm, maybe a good reference to use as comparison?)

As far as I can tell, all that needs done now, after my updates of RUO code, is updating the code with current Tcp Protocol. I have not given up completely, but I have to move on to my other stuff.. I figure if someone else wants to play with it, great.. otherwise, I will come back to this a little later.

I left a brief Install.txt file in the package to get you started.

I have also taken the liberty to give this a 2.0 version so not to confuse it with an earlier package.

Attachments

• TransServer2.0.rar
    13.6 KB · Views: 49
Guys, I have a source to the Spawn Editor program now, however its a bit over my head right now. IF someone with true C# brains would be interested in digging into it, I would love to hear from you.

It is a pretty complex package, just to be clear, and it is not the original as in having comments and notes, so it would need to be read as code, and worked out. But I seriously feel that it would be a wonderful thing to get back in working order!

Good luck with the edits to it.... [xmlfind (or whatever command designator you use), is great for editing multiple spawns all at once. For instance, if you were to name 20 spawns "MyDragonSpawner" and then used [xmlfind to look it up. You can select ALL the search results and enter a Command to apply to all of them at one time. This allows you to add multiple spawners and then go back and do the settings for each of them all at the same time, which saves you from having to edit tons on entries on each and every spawner.

Heres a copy of the Spawn Editor2 v1.8 Decompiled and fixed to build with vs2015 and .net 4
All credits to the actual authors, i just decompiled and fixed the errors.

Just a note, make sure you build 32bit but otherwise net 4 or net 4.6 work fine.

Last edited:
I built the project in 32bit, but it crashes every time I try to start the SpawnEditor and my console shows these errors when trying to start the shard:
Code:
Errors:
 + Customs/Xml Spawner/SpawnEditor2/SpawnEditor.cs:
    CS0246: Line 7: The type or namespace name 'AxUOMAPLib' could not be found (
are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    CS0246: Line 70: The type or namespace name 'AxUOMap' could not be found (ar
e you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    CS0246: Line 4947: The type or namespace name '_DUOMapEvents_MouseDownEvent'
 could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
)
    CS0246: Line 4982: The type or namespace name '_DUOMapEvents_MouseUpEvent' c
ould not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    CS0246: Line 5043: The type or namespace name '_DUOMapEvents_MouseMoveEvent'
 could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
)
Dian mentioned editing a bat file with the one he posted, but I don't see anything to edit here to make those changes.
Also, the Ultima.dll I'm using is older than the current one running in ServUO's repo. Any chance of getting around that compatibility issue?

Back